Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fender mounting a Luxor headlight: supports?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 01:41 PM
DanBikeFan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Hey C&V experts, another question for you : I recently purchased a vintage Luxor 65 headlight (search Google images for lots of shiny ones) that originally mounted on the front fender. I would like to attach it to some Velo Orange fenders, but they are clearly not strong enough to support the weight of the headlight by themselves. Looking at pictures of old randonneur-type bicycles with Luxor lamps, I see that most of them have an additional fender support rising from an upper set of eyelets on the front fork that stabilizes the front fender and holds up the headlight. Also, some of them have attached the front rack to the fender, which provides additional support.

Has anyone attempted to mount a headlight on Velo Orange fenders (or any modern set of fenders), and have any tips for how to set it up? Unfortunately the bike I'm working with only has one set of front eyelets on the fork, and has center-pull (non-brazed on) brakes. Most of the rack options (Nitto, Velo Orange, etc.) wouldn't seem to work in this set-up. Thanks for any tips or experiences!

Dan