Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bikes go flat suddenly, Texas, U.S.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bikes go flat suddenly, Texas, U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 09:28 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
This could be a combination of several issues. Low quality tires with beads not firmly sitting in the rim. Combined with too little pressure they can "slide" on the rims when breaking and rub against the inner tube. Add some cheap inner tubes and you will see scratch marks on inner tubes. Inner tube quality just isn't what it used to be.
Than the sun in Texas. Everything gets beaten to death. Especially rubber and plastic.
And one thing you also have to watch out for in South and Central Texas when you ride on dirt trails or across grass: Goat's heads. These little thorny seeds (about 1cm wide) are nasty buggers and punch normal bikes tires like butter. Oh and when you step in them it is even worse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
Old 04-26-23, 07:59 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
hybrid/crossover tires for a decent price...

you should spend your savings on a Sheet of Plywood... 3/8" ACX will work.
Thank you for the input
As for the Plywood - I think they will kick me out of the apartment complex for this
Old 04-26-23, 08:00 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
This could be a combination of several issues. Low quality tires with beads not firmly sitting in the rim. Combined with too little pressure they can "slide" on the rims when breaking and rub against the inner tube. Add some cheap inner tubes and you will see scratch marks on inner tubes. Inner tube quality just isn't what it used to be.
Than the sun in Texas. Everything gets beaten to death. Especially rubber and plastic.
And one thing you also have to watch out for in South and Central Texas when you ride on dirt trails or across grass: Goat's heads. These little thorny seeds (about 1cm wide) are nasty buggers and punch normal bikes tires like butter. Oh and when you step in them it is even worse.
Agree, thanks!
Will keep in mind these Goat's heads.
Old 04-26-23, 08:06 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally, I was able to upload both picture in the very first post of this thread, for completeness. Thank you guys for your support.
Old 04-26-23, 08:20 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by PavelSpesivtsev
….As for the Plywood - I think they will kick me out of the apartment complex for this
If not fully in the shade, use a tarp. Blue tarps are advertised as UV resistant. It’s not the heat, it’s not the humidity, it’s the UV.
Old 05-01-23, 10:09 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
What do the tires look like?
Old 05-01-23, 12:55 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by PavelSpesivtsev
Thank you for the input
As for the Plywood - I think they will kick me out of the apartment complex for this
and some people hate the sight of bikes sitting around.... sigh.
Auto Junk yards are required to use barriers to obscure the view of the cars...

Ask the apt. Manager what they prefer. A blue tarp or a sheet of plywood. Paint the plywood to match the Building. how many rusty Barbques are sitting around?