Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire levers that actually work?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire levers that actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 11:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,915 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You should not need tire levers to mount a tire -- they are for getting a tire off a rim.

The proper technique is more easily shown than described, so I recommend youtube videos. Also read up on tips and tricks, such as (1) start installing a tight tire bead 180 degrees from the valve hole, and finish at the valve hole, (2) make sure you are pushing the bead into the rim's center channel as you mount it, (3) leave especially tight tires out in the hot sun for a few hours before mounting, etc. Most important is the actual technique - how you push the beads up and over the rim. Best to watch a good videol

If you are using 'best practice' to mount the tires and still can't get them on the rims, then get different tires. Sometimes I'll even have one tire out of a batch that won't mount, so it gets returned or tossed.

For removing tough tires, I like these.

PS: if you are interested in @GhostRider62 's recommendation, note that there is no company called "Lyzene." He is referring to Lezyne. Though I would recommend against metal tire levers; which would you prefer to break first -- the tire lever, or the rim's sidewall?
Something else that I've found, but you have to have more than one bike, or at least more than one wheelset - I had a hell of a time getting new Contis onto the Fulcrum rims on my Bianchi, so I'd always install them on the Velocity rims on a different bike first, and ride them for a few weeks. After that, they'd go onto the Fulcrum rims without too much fuss.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-22-23, 11:17 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
As a 74 year old with heart issues I found I can't change a tire on the fly anymore. Tire irons are a thing of the past for me. Just don't have the strength in my hands to do the work. I've tried the Kool Stop bead jack and it does work. But, it's a shop tool only not for in the field. And when was the last time you flatted in your shop? A couple of years ago I saw a y-tube video on a thing called a Tyre Glider out of the UK. I bought one and loved it. Since then I have purchased a few more and even given them to friends. No longer do I fear sitting on the side of the trail waiting to snag some young wippersnapper to help change my tire. Check it out (works on my fancy carbon rims as well as my Alum ones. https://tyreglider.co.uk/?v=7516fd43adaa
Old 05-22-23, 11:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
The other choice would be Schwalbe (which would have been my guess). Also expensive, so you get to pay dearly for that grief, too.
Originally Posted by philbob57
It's not always Conti. I watched the head mechanic at my LBS spend 20 minutes mounting my Vittoria Randonneur on CR-18s. Alas, the stem was angled, so he had to take the tire off the rim and spend another 20 minutes getting it back on with the stem straight.

Can I revise it to "90% of the time it's Contis"?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-22-23, 12:21 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
To break the bead I use a Duunarri Crankbrothers Speedier Lever that cost me $5.50 on Amazon with free shipping. I use it in combination with a couple of regular plastic tire levers to keep the tire bead off the rim as I remove the tire. Works equally well to get the bead back on the rim.
Old 05-22-23, 03:26 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
wheels are tubeless ready. now seriously considering going this route.

how ever did you know?
It is a tolerance stack-up issue, especially bad with Conti and some rims, despite the erroneous information from mongrels.

If you heat the tire even on the hot sun, it is almost manageable with a Kool Stop and I do not care how strong someone is or how smart they think their technique is, some brands of rims and Conti do not play well. Period. I know how to put a tire on.

https://www.sigmetrix.com/tolerance-stack-up/

(I also know something about design. Tires and rim Mfgs are out of control,)
Old 05-22-23, 04:17 PM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I have been using this for years. It is easy to carry in a bag. It has gone up quite a bit since I purchased mine decades ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Var-Nylon-Tyr.../dp/B091D278G5
Old 05-22-23, 06:01 PM
rc5781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I'm in need of some tire levers that actually work. i broke all three struggling to get a really tight tire onto a rim today. still not on, fortunately i had an extra wheel (front) that allows me to ride. riding is supposed to reduce stress, not cause it.

any recommendations? i actually found some metal ones from park tools. wonder how they leave the rim.

one trouble i have is that i only have two hands, i know, bum luck. it is hard getting the tire on with only two hands, one side of the tire always seems to come off while working on the opposite side.
I use these:
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...ver-set-tl-1-2

Never failed me so far. Used them for mountain bike tires and one road bike tire. If you have a "foldable" mountain bike tire, you can usually put those on with hands only, with inner tube slightly inflated. If not foldable, seat one side of tire bead in rim, insert deflated inner tube. Anchor your first tire lever, use the "hook" end of the second tire lever to seat the majority of the second side of the tire bead. Anchor second tire lever just enough so that the first one doesn't pop out. With 3rd tire lever, place at middle (or slightly closer to 2nd tire lever) of remaining unseated portion of tire bead and pry onto frame. The deflated inner tube helps to prevent unwanted damaged to you inner tube.
Old 05-22-23, 07:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If your thumbs are sore, you're not doing it right.

Should be using the heels of your palms mostly. I'll try to describe it, but a good mechanic can show you in a moment's time.

As I wrote earlier, start opposite the valve hole, and make sure you are pushing the tire beads into the center channel as you go -- this is crucial, as it gives you more slack. As you get to the last few inches, right around the valve hole, put THAT section of the wheel AWAY from your body, holding the wheel almost perpendicular to your gut. IOW, you're holding the wheel like you're delivering a very large pizza, with the valve hole jammed into your belly button and your arms stretched out in front of you, palms resting on the opposite sides of the unmounted section of tire. THEN use your PALMS to push the last section of tire up and over the rim's edge...You will almost be 'rolling' your palms (really, the heels of your palms, the meaty part, mostly) on the tire bead to massage and push it up and over the rim's sidewall. As each section gets pushed more up and over the rim's edge, your hands are getting closer together until the last bit pops on. Again, you're mostly using the heels of your palms, which means that you get extra traction and protection from your cycling gloves (assuming you are wearing them).

Using your thumbs severely limits your leverage, and makes your success a function of hand strength -- hence GhostRider62 's comment about not having enough hand strength. But if that is your limiting factor, you're doing it wrong. With the right technique, you're using your arms and upper body to mount the tire.
i appreciate the detail and i do understand what you wrote. tried this to no avail once i got home. maybe this particular tire/rim combo is one that is just too tight. a tire that you and others have mentioned would have returned? a tire jack is being shipped now.
Old 05-22-23, 07:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,972 Times in 4,693 Posts
i appreciate the detail and i do understand what you wrote. tried this to no avail once i got home. maybe this particular tire/rim combo is one that is just too tight. a tire that you and others have mentioned would have returned? a tire jack is being shipped now.
Could be! I recently returned a tire that I simply could not mount… Even though I had mounted several other tires from the same batch.
Old 05-23-23, 02:27 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Let me guess--Continental tires?
Funny you should say that. I ride Conti GP 5000 and have zero issues mounting without tools. Likewise removing the tire without tools. My rims are Velocity A23.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-23-23, 05:51 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Never say never is a lesson I learned long ago. Some tires do require a tool to install. I have removed and installed thousands of tires over my years in the biz and found that when properly used a tire lever is not a hazard when installing a tire. It is a learned technique thus I will not go into it here. The worse tire install issues I ever had were Mavic X238 26" rims mated to Conti Goliath tires. Damned near impossible.
I use the Park tire levers as they seem to work very well for me. Never ever use them in a high leverage situation as they will snap. Had to teach that to the rookie wrenches over the years. In the shop I used a single set of Park tire levers for about 10 years before a rookie got hold of them on my day off and destroyed every one.
Old 05-23-23, 06:08 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
To the OP,

Instead of new tire irons, check out the Park Tool video on YouTube on mounting stubborn tires. Yes, today's tires are tight and all of us have had our experiences with tight tires but the tips in that video will really help.

One thing that I do over and above the tips in that video is lay the tire in the sun for a few minutes to warm up then carefully stretch it by standing on the tire and pulling with my hands. Rotate the tire and repeat, then mount the tire. Be very careful if the tire has a steel bead though, you don't want to kink the bead.

Old toe straps can help also and act as a "3rd hand" by strapping the bead in place and then work with both hands to push the bead onto the rim working toward the strap.
Old 05-23-23, 07:01 PM
Baldy1953

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I bought the "Tyre Glider" off Amazon. Have used it a couple of times and it works really well.
Old 05-23-23, 09:57 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,446 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
It's not always Conti. I watched the head mechanic at my LBS spend 20 minutes mounting my Vittoria Randonneur on CR-18s. Alas, the stem was angled, so he had to take the tire off the rim and spend another 20 minutes getting it back on with the stem straight.
IT can also vary by tire size using the same brand/model of tire. I've never been able to mount Vittoria Randonneur 28's on one of my bike's rims, but the 35's go on nice and easy.
Old 05-23-23, 10:03 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Can't speak to modern tubeless stuff, but I would never use tire levers to get a tire on. If you need to, you can position the wheel axle against the edge of a work bench and lean into it.
I've always (well let's say 95%) used levers on clinchers. I carry em around so might as well use them. No need to position anything anywhere.

scott s.
Old 05-24-23, 12:31 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
If it hasn’t been mentioned, there is more to easily removing and mounting tires than good levers. Pushing the bead you are trying to remove to the center of the rim opposite to where you are using the lever will add a little slack and make your tire lever easier to use.
Old 05-24-23, 12:48 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
its important to be able to do this out in the wild so waiting a few hours to warm up a tire is not an option. friday's flat was less than a mile from work so a short walk and my office to get things done. i'm finding that my hands are just not up to the task, especially thumbs, all red and screaming in pain. most videos i've watched (only 3 really) all seem to cut away while the tire is being put on which makes me think that they are struggling as well.

guess practice makes perfect, i can try again with the wheel i have at home while i ride the spare.
You got it most of the way on, and its the last bit that you're struggling with yes? Once youre at that point go back to the start and try working the tire, pulling and pinching it, as if youre trying to get the slack out. Go all the way around, and you should have a bit more rubber to work with at the end. Repeat like 3 times. Rubber literally "flows" like a liquid so kinda just go around working it a few times. It sounds like BS but im serious.

Also y'all are being really pedantic saying never use tire levers to mount to tire. Its hard dude, and if youre careful it should be fine...
Old 05-24-23, 06:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’m not gonna let pride and some arbitrary rule make more work for me. If I need to use a tire lever to get the bead on, I’ll use a tire lever to get the bead on. Some tire-rim combos require that or hands of steel.

That said, if a plastic tire lever can’t do it, I’d consider returning the tire.
Old 05-24-23, 07:26 AM
Billydog

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Is it easier to mount folding tires or non folding wire bead tires?
Old 05-24-23, 07:36 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Its hard dude, and if youre [sic] careful it should be fine...
No one said it was easy. When I started in the shop fixing flats, I, too, had red and blistered hands and thumbs for weeks. But over time, doing 10 or 20 flats a day, you develop the skills necessary to forgo tire levers.

I suspect most folks here just haven't had the opportunities to develop those skills/techniques. Which is actually probably a good thing.

Until I had to give a demonstration to the Cub Scouts on how to repair a flat, I didn't even own tire levers. Again, modern tubeless tires excepted. Glad I don't have to deal with those.
Old 05-24-23, 12:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Also y'all are being really pedantic saying never use tire levers to mount to tire. Its hard dude, and if youre careful it should be fine...
I've only been using tire levers for this without a problem for about 50 years, so I guess the jury's still out? At some point, I decided this seemed like more of a matter of pride rather than there being anything inherently problematic with using a blunt part of a plastic tire jack.

I can do Vittoria tires by hand, however.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-24-23, 12:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Billydog
Is it easier to mount folding tires or non folding wire bead tires?
Folding, but just by a little.
Old 05-24-23, 01:20 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I have one rim which I am riding with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Replacing this tire has given me lots of grief in the past years. I have broken several Pedro's tire levers to get that Schwalbe of that rim. Fortunately I only have to do that every other year or so. But I am also looking for other options. I wanted to try the Park tool metal levers and see if they are any sturdier.
I don't have any issues with any of my other bikes. It is just this one rim in combination with that Schwalbe tire.
Old 05-24-23, 03:11 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Folding, but just by a little.
No way. Wire bead tires are definitely easier to put on.
Old 05-24-23, 03:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
1. tire jack.
2. if you even can't get the first bead to go on, then you can try the following: put the entire wheel inside the tire:

Now you can use tire jack on both sides, to get both beads onto the wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.