Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Any road saddles out there that are WIDE??

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15, 06:24 PM
soccermom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone! I am looking for a ultra wide road bike seat. I have been biking for years and have ALWAYS been in pain in the entire crotch/butt area. I just bought a new hybrid/road bike yesterday and was professionally fitted for this bike by the resident "fitter" at the store. I told the guy that I have never found a seat that would not hurt my sit bones (they always are straddling the seat, never on it). He assured me that it was simply because I had always been on a bike that was too small for me. My old bike (bought at the same store 13 years ago) was a 19 and my new one is a 22.5. Huge jump, I know. Well, this new seat (not even the stock one. He gave me a wider one.) is still very painful. I decided to do some research and realized that my sit bones are probably very wide. I conducted the test suggested online and my sit bones are 155 mm apart. According to what I have read, that is pretty wide. It seems that the only seats that will fit are the thick "tractor" seats, but I cannot imagine that this would work well for road riding, as I was told you need a narrower seat for that. The previous posts discussing this are pretty old and some of the seats suggested then are discontinued. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 03-29-15, 07:36 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by soccermom
I decided to do some research and realized that my sit bones are probably very wide. I conducted the test suggested online and my sit bones are 155 mm apart. According to what I have read, that is pretty wide. It seems that the only seats that will fit are the thick "tractor" seats, but I cannot imagine that this would work well for road riding, as I was told you need a narrower seat for that. The previous posts discussing this are pretty old and some of the seats suggested then are discontinued. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Specialized. All models are available in 156mm and some Women's models up to 168mm width.
Old 03-30-15, 02:17 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by soccermom
Hello everyone! I am looking for a ultra wide road bike seat. I have been biking for years and have ALWAYS been in pain in the entire crotch/butt area. I just bought a new hybrid/road bike yesterday and was professionally fitted for this bike by the resident "fitter" at the store. I told the guy that I have never found a seat that would not hurt my sit bones (they always are straddling the seat, never on it). He assured me that it was simply because I had always been on a bike that was too small for me. My old bike (bought at the same store 13 years ago) was a 19 and my new one is a 22.5. Huge jump, I know. Well, this new seat (not even the stock one. He gave me a wider one.) is still very painful. I decided to do some research and realized that my sit bones are probably very wide. I conducted the test suggested online and my sit bones are 155 mm apart. According to what I have read, that is pretty wide. It seems that the only seats that will fit are the thick "tractor" seats, but I cannot imagine that this would work well for road riding, as I was told you need a narrower seat for that. The previous posts discussing this are pretty old and some of the seats suggested then are discontinued. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
I have the same exact problem as you. The only saddle I've ever found that I could ride comfortably for long periods of time is a Brooks B17, and unfortunately the second-hand brooks I bought failed after only about 30 miles ridden, so I only got to experience truly comfortable riding for a couple of hours :/
Old 03-30-15, 11:22 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Specialized. All models are available in 156mm and some Women's models up to 168mm width.
This won't work since a saddle needs to be at least 1cm wider than the sitbones

A brooks would work since they have a lot of models in the 160-170mm range
Old 03-31-15, 08:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Though called a Unisex/ women's I use a Fizik Vitesse they are still pretty lightweight, with steel rails , if bought with Ti rails they are even lighter..

Road bike riders seem to always be comparing bike weights.. Brooks C17 and leather B17 will both be significantly heavier..

though there is a Ti Rail option on the B17.
Old 03-31-15, 11:40 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Specialized Bicycle Components Specialized has lots of saddles in many widths.
Old 04-01-15, 04:47 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Brooks has saddles of varying width and length.

I just put a Brooks Flyer on my daily ride and I love it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Brooks.jpg (23.0 KB, 6 views)