Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Frame Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 05:48 PM
gmm213

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Feather, MSC fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Size

So I took all the measurements for competitive cyclist and it came out to a 57.5 seat tube. After reading up on peoples frame sizes to height this seems quite small. I am 74in with an actual inseam of 34.75in. I am looking at a kilo WT if that helps as well.
Old 03-31-15, 06:06 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 5' 10.75" and have ridden 56 and 57 road frames since I was young. That size, more specifically 57cm measured C-T, just fits me.

You're a few inches taller which would move you to 59 or 61. You're about 3.25 inches taller which is split front and back, so (3.25 X 2.54) / 2 = 4cm. So 56 + 4 = 60, 57 + 4 = 61. Depending on your comfort at the bars, you could fit a 59 or a 61. It is my opinion that it would be better to choose the smaller of the two frames and use seat and stem adjustments to sort out the final fit. A larger than required frame adds weight unnecessarily and frame flex.
Old 03-31-15, 06:19 PM
gmm213

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking more 59cm. I have test ridden a 59 before and it felt good but it wasn't fitted for me.
Old 03-31-15, 09:54 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, that's where I would start you. 61cm frames are generally for riders over 6' 2".
Old 04-01-15, 12:21 PM
gmm213

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So they don't have the WT. Sorta sucks but I'm looking at the stripper. They have it either 57 or 60. Better to go two under or 1 over.
Old 04-01-15, 12:33 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Professional fit is the best advice you can get & money well spent if you are going to plunk down a good chunk of money. A good shop will do this & maybe even throw part or all of it Into the sale of a bicycle. Why throw your money at a moving target?
understanding fit can be tricky & every geometry has its special "qualities". Unless you are deeply steeped into bicycle geometry & are willing to pull out the paper & protractors, I say work with a good local fit expert
Old 04-01-15, 12:42 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Belly
Professional fit is the best advice you can get & money well spent if you are going to plunk down a good chunk of money. A good shop will do this & maybe even throw part or all of it Into the sale of a bicycle. Why throw your money at a moving target?
understanding fit can be tricky & every geometry has its special "qualities". Unless you are deeply steeped into bicycle geometry & are willing to pull out the paper & protractors, I say work with a good local fit expert

A professional fit might not hurt your riding position but I've never heard of needing one just to determine the size bike frame for a rider. At 6'2", the rider belongs or a 59cm (Center-to-top seat tube) Mercier Kilo WT, sized frame. This same frame should have a 57-59cm effective top tube (measured Center-to-center), 170mm crank arm (for this fixie) and a 110mm stem length.
Old 04-01-15, 01:16 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
A professional fit might not hurt your riding position but I've never heard of needing one just to determine the size bike frame for a rider. At 6'2", the rider belongs or a 59cm (Center-to-top seat tube) Mercier Kilo WT, sized frame. This same frame should have a 57-59cm effective top tube (measured Center-to-center), 170mm crank arm (for this fixie) and a 110mm stem length.
. So, what you are telling me is that a seat tube at 72.5 deg vs a seat tube at 73.5 deg is going to have the same effective bb to handlebar effective length on a horizontal plane? Then you have to account for the head tube angle a& fork rake. Yes, every frame varies. & it can be by as much as a few CM in fit.
Old 04-01-15, 01:31 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Belly
. So, what you are telling me is that a seat tube at 72.5 deg vs a seat tube at 73.5 deg is going to have the same effective bb to handlebar effective length on a horizontal plane? Then you have to account for the head tube angle a& fork rake. Yes, every frame varies. & it can be by as much as a few CM in fit.
What I'm telling you is that frame fitting is for weenies. LOL
Old 04-01-15, 01:57 PM
Blue Belly

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
What I'm telling you is that frame fitting is for weenies. LOL
Ha, I wish!
Old 04-01-15, 02:04 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'll be honest, I've never felt that uncomfortable on my bike. I've had issues with feeling cramped. I've had issues with hand numbness. But I've never been so completely flummoxed by bike fit that I couldn't sort it out on my own.

I know fittings are popular and "fit" is a valuable sales item when buying a new bike. But not for me.

The different frame angles make subtle difference to ride comfort and handling. (I must be missing something important.) If you're shopping outside your usual style of bike, I can understand the concerns. I wouldn't know where to begin with mountain bike fit. But road bikes are fairly straightforward.