Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Source fpr 26" (559) wheel for a 12 speed cassette

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 12:46 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

I want to replace the silver 26" (559) rear wheel on one of my bikes with a black wheel and clack spokes. Just for cosmetic reasons since the bike is mainly black and red except the rear wheel which is silver. It needs to fit a 12 speed cassette. I prefer to buy the complete wheel and not build it myself. Can anyone point me to I a source for a good quality wheel? Thanks
Old 04-07-23, 01:46 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Is your bike's present wheel a 8-9-10 sp. freehub/cassette type??? if so... get a 12 speed. cassette like this... it will fit right on.

almost ANY bike shop/Co-op/major outlet will have a 135mm OLD Freehub wheel assy. in 26", 559 size available.. i advise that you buy a wheel assy. with a Double wall rim incorporated... i'd guess you might even find one if you are living on Antarctica.... all other continents will have them available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20359748484...3ABFBM4pTt0-th

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13409316612...Bk9SR4TGudbrYQ

Last edited by maddog34; 04-07-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-07-23, 03:23 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
The wheel I currently have has a 12 speed SRAM cassette. I want to replace the wheel and keep everything else. When looking for complete wheels I can only find some for 8-11 speed cassettes or fat tire bikes wheels for 11-12 speed cassettes. But I want a double walled rim with the width of 22-25mm. Something like a Velocity Dyad or similar. Black and non non machined sidewall.
I have built plenty of wheels in the past. I just built one two weeks ago but it is not a job I really like to do. I prefer if I can buy a ready built one.
Old 04-07-23, 03:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
There's a reason why shops still offer wheel building services. Wanting a combination of parts to meet your specs is a very common reason. The "production" wheel making side of our industry has the stress of a profit motive acting on every decision made. How many can they sell, how quickly will the production run sell through, what's the availability of specific parts, what are their costs and what will the resulting wheel need to sell for to make the $ aspect work?

With the industry's attention (and marketing dollars) shifting to 584 and 622 rim sizes for off road bikes making better grade 559 rimmed wheels is a less economically viable path for wheel making companies to take. So when the market has moved on from a dimension the cost retain that spec can/will be higher that it might have been just a few market cycles (years) earlier.

I have no specific wheels to link to for you to consider, but I (and many others) can make one that will meet your specs albeit at a cost you likely won't like. Andy
Old 04-07-23, 03:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-78...96545154&psc=1