Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bikes go flat suddenly, Texas, U.S.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 03:22 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a strange flats happening rather regularly. I've been living in Texas (Houston area) for the last three years, and every 6-9 months flats happen suddenly when bikes are idle (at rest). Both mine and my spouse's bikes are affected.
Few details:
- We live in an apartment complex, bicycles are stored outside. I stored them in two places: in the shadow under the stairs and on the balcony where they were exposed to sun in the afternoon. In both places these flats continued to happen.
- After replacing tubes every time I inspect tires and tubes and see no signs of vandalism or animals.
- The damage is often located on the side of tires (neither at the inner circle, nor at the outer circle, just on the side), and sometimes I see a thread of very small holes on the side (again, can't post the image because of the forum rules )
- I don't see anything special on the tires, except that they are quide aged (mine are 10 years old, and my spouse tires are 5 years old)
- The flats never happen immediately after we ride. Usually, a descent amount of time passes after the last ride, at least few weeks. So I don't think this is a delayed result of a direct damage to a tube.
- We ride bicycles about one time per quarter (infrequently).
- This never happened to me before moving to Texas so I am puzzled.

I have two pictures I took today, a week ago after both tubes on my bike went flat both at the same time (!), but the forum rules don't allow me to post pictures.

At this point, I have two hypotheses:
1. The fact that I store the bicycles outside makes them exposed to some extreme Texas conditions that just lead to the rubber deteriorating with time. It is about ~40 degC here during summer, and in spring the temperature fluctuates sometimes from 0 degC to 30 degC.
2. When we do ride, even though it is infrequent, the tube gets into contact with something inside, like a tire or a rim, and gets some excessive rubbing so that it creates an area which later deteriorates further with time (maybe this is catalyzed by Texas climate) and eventually ruptures.

At this point I am pretty tired of replacing tires before almost every our infrequent ride.
Did anyone experience something similar? Any idea how this can be be prevented without moving the bicycles indoors? (I don't have space )

Front wheel

Rear wheel

Last edited by PavelSpesivtsev; 04-26-23 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 03:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
If you mean that the tire is found flat after a long period of non use, then I suspect you're seeing the effects of thorns.

These cause tiny pinhole leaks, so slow that they don't affect rides, so you don't notice until much later.

The thin tread of worn tires compounds the problem, but it's more about your move to the Southwest.

Consider using a liquid sealant and/or replacing the worn tire.
Old 04-23-23, 03:57 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you mean that the tire is found flat after a long period of non use, then I suspect you're seeing the effects of thorns.

These cause tiny pinhole leaks, so slow that they don't affect rides, so you don't notice until much later.

The thin tread of worn tires compounds the problem, but it's more about your move to the Southwest.

Consider using a liquid sealant and/or replacing the worn tire.
Thank you for your input!

Unfortunately, I can not paste the pictures. In the pictures I took today the damage points are located on the side of tube (neither outer which is in contact with the road, neither inner) and is surrounded by a large number of small holes/imperfections of the tube as if the material was aged or as if there was an excessive rubbing of some sort. I does not look like a single point of damage. I wish I could attach the pictures. Eight more posts to go before I can do this.
Old 04-23-23, 04:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Based on the newer post, it might simply be age and chafing of dried out material. This might be compounded by inadequate pressure which causes excess tire wall flex.

If you're not ready to replace both tires and tubes, try riding at or near the maximum pressure marked on the tire walls. However, long term, you might have to accept that your tires are well beyond their prime of life.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-23-23, 04:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
is this the picture you wanted us to see?

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/28779982

Till you get ten posts and maybe a day later, just let us know you put them in the Gallery here on BF and someone will post it for you or at least know to go look at it.

As for your flats, might be just a coincidence that you moved. Perhaps it's some other person that thinks it's funny to let the air out of your tires.

Can't tell much about the abrasion you have circled. Do you see bubbles coming out of it when you inflate the tube and wipe a soap solution over it or dip in water?

Last edited by Iride01; 04-23-23 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 04:41 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I live in Houston and store my bikes at ambient temperature in a garage. I have not experienced anything like what you described.

It is not real clear from your post if the holes you find are only on the inner tubes or both the tube and the tire.

Thoughts:

1. With a long time between rides, it’s probably necessary to pump them up before each ride. I’m adding air every 2-4 weeks. Low tire pressure can give pinch flats somewhat like your description.

2. If the tires are old, they may have developed flaws that could rub holes in the inner tube. If this is the cause you would expect your patches to be in about the same place or the equivalent if the tube was flipped on re-installation.

So there may be chupacabras in the area but no indication they target bike tires or tubes.
Old 04-23-23, 04:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
It sounds like it’s time for new tires on both bikes.

Also, be aware that bike tires/tubes don’t hold air indefinitely. Butyl rubber used for most inner tubes will leak air over time.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-23-23 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 06:36 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I toured through there some years back.

Likes For tcs:
Old 04-23-23, 09:28 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I always do my best to choose tubes that don't need to stretch out to the tire.

For example, if the tire is 26x1.50, using a 26x1.25-1.50 tube means that skinny tube has to balloon all the way out to 1.5.

Instead, choose a 26x1.50-1.95 tube, it won't stretch.
Old 04-23-23, 10:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Tubes are not what they used to be. It appears you are showing some manufacturing defects in a butyl tube. There is really no telling how long those little bubbles have been there and the area around the tube stem is particularly undesirable.

Sure sounds like a good excuse ta get your bikes new tubes and maybe tires.
Old 04-24-23, 06:36 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/28779982

Till you get ten posts and maybe a day later, just let us know you put them in the Gallery here on BF and someone will post it for you or at least know to go look at it.

As for your flats, might be just a coincidence that you moved. Perhaps it's some other person that thinks it's funny to let the air out of your tires.

Can't tell much about the abrasion you have circled. Do you see bubbles coming out of it when you inflate the tube and wipe a soap solution over it or dip in water?
PavelSpesivtsev , how long have you had these spare tubes. Looking at that photo, those holes look like cracks due to age.
Old 04-24-23, 12:21 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Yes! this is one of my two pictures

I could also locate the link to the second picture of my rear wheel referenced as 28779933 (still can't paste the full link)

About "other person" - that's what I thought when it started happening two and a half years ago, but I inspected the tires after each flat and I could find no cuts or distinct holes pointing at the human/animal intervention.

And yes, the red circles are around the areas where bubbles appeared from inflated tube under water.

Thanks for your inputs!
Old 04-24-23, 12:28 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
cheap tubes plus Houston Sunshine equals flat tires.

and months is not "suddenly".

the tubes show signs of literally MOLDING themselves to the tire... note the serrations... that's from the tires.

Bike Tires lose air over time...
Hot sun does REALLY bad things to Cheap bike tires and Tubes.
Where the stem is bonded to the tube is even coming apart.
Old 04-24-23, 01:01 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I live in Houston and store my bikes at ambient temperature in a garage. I have not experienced anything like what you described.

It is not real clear from your post if the holes you find are only on the inner tubes or both the tube and the tire.

Thoughts:

1. With a long time between rides, it’s probably necessary to pump them up before each ride. I’m adding air every 2-4 weeks. Low tire pressure can give pinch flats somewhat like your description.

2. If the tires are old, they may have developed flaws that could rub holes in the inner tube. If this is the cause you would expect your patches to be in about the same place or the equivalent if the tube was flipped on re-installation.

So there may be chupacabras in the area but no indication they target bike tires or tubes.
Thank you for your input! At this point the old tires are my main suspect. I just ordered two "Goodyear 26" x 1.9"-2.3" Heavy Duty Bike Tube" and I will be looking for tire replacement as well.

I guess in your case garage damps a bit Texas temperature hikes, I don't have such opportunity unfortunately.
Old 04-24-23, 01:03 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It sounds like it’s time for new tires on both bikes.

Also, be aware that bike tires/tubes don’t hold air indefinitely. Butyl rubber used for most inner tubes will leak air over time.
Yes sir, will replace tires and rim tape most likely as well as it has couple of folds in few places. Thank you!
Old 04-24-23, 01:19 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by PavelSpesivtsev
Thank you for your input! At this point the old tires are my main suspect. I just ordered two "Goodyear 26" x 1.9"-2.3" Heavy Duty Bike Tube" and I will be looking for tire replacement as well.

I guess in your case garage damps a bit Texas temperature hikes, I don't have such opportunity unfortunately.
A sheet of plywood between the bikes and the sun will work wonders...
Old 04-24-23, 01:27 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
A sheet of plywood between the bikes and the sun will work wonders...
This. Keeping the rubber and plastic protected from direct sunlight will help preserve those components. My garage has a window which I’ve covered with cardboard to keep out direct sunlight.
Old 04-24-23, 04:39 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I would replace the tubes and check that the new tubes are not leaking out the valves. The lighter "race" tubes wil be thinner and there will be more permeation with air leaving through the material. I would check that the valves on your tires are tight and use a valve core tool to tighten them. The Park Tool valve tool is cheap and works on both Schrader and Presta valves.
Old 04-25-23, 12:26 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
cheap tubes plus Houston Sunshine equals flat tires.

and months is not "suddenly".

the tubes show signs of literally MOLDING themselves to the tire... note the serrations... that's from the tires.

Bike Tires lose air over time...
Hot sun does REALLY bad things to Cheap bike tires and Tubes.
Where the stem is bonded to the tube is even coming apart.
Agree, old tires seem to be the main suspect. Will replace them on one or both bikes.
Old 04-25-23, 12:27 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I would replace the tubes and check that the new tubes are not leaking out the valves. The lighter "race" tubes wil be thinner and there will be more permeation with air leaving through the material. I would check that the valves on your tires are tight and use a valve core tool to tighten them. The Park Tool valve tool is cheap and works on both Schrader and Presta valves.
Thanks for your input! I am checking after each flat under water, valves are always fine. This seems to come from tires maybe accelerated by the Texas weather. Will replace tires.
Old 04-25-23, 12:30 PM
PavelSpesivtsev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the inputs!

The next logical question is there a recommendation of not very expensive but descent tires for 26" tires? This is mostly for dirt rides in parks, and some occasional rides in a city, something like city/MTB profile for hardtail.

And similarly inexpensive but good rim type?

Cheers,
Pavel.
Old 04-25-23, 12:55 PM
maddog34

Agree, old tires seem to be the main suspect. Will replace them on one or both bikes.
the SERRATIONS showing on the TUBES came from the sidewall of the tires... This DOES NOT mean that the TIRES caused the loss of air... theTUBES got hot/Soft, then conformed to the tire's inner surface!

Are the Tires showing Weather Cracking? Are the tires Significantly Worn?

If you answer "no' to both questions, you DO NOT NEED New tires. THE TUBES should be replaced with a better brand, NOT THE TIRES.
not sure if it was you or someone else,but Goodyear HEAVY Duty tubes (enphasis on HEAVY!) were mentioned...they will make your bike ride more roughly and sluggishly.
i use Kenda, Specialized and Michelin tubes,mostly. Regular tubes... and then i Check the pressure Every riding day, then top up as needed.

to review.. Bike Tubes Lose pressure over time..especially over three or more months.. it's a FACT. Slimy Sealants are a mess, Heavy, and Will Plug The Valve occasionally, which is just another problem.

Good quality tubes, No Sealants, and Frequent Pressure monitoring.. then shield those bikes From That Brutal Houston Sun.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 04-25-23, 01:01 PM
maddog34

hybrid/crossover tires for a decent price... https://www.ebay.com/itm/29230661493...3ABFBM1pLInPdh

you should spend your savings on a Sheet of Plywood... 3/8" ACX will work.
Old 04-25-23, 01:19 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
The next logical question is there a recommendation of not very expensive but descent tires for 26" tires? This is mostly for dirt rides in parks, and some occasional rides in a city, something like city/MTB profile for hardtail.
Schwalbe Land Cruiser is a basic mixed-use tyre, or their Black Jack is more dirt oriented, both available cheap on Amazon/eBay or at many stores. You may also find Continental Cross King at a good price, or some Michelin models - none of the big name brands makes junk, but you do get what you pay for regarding speed/weight and puncture protection. Be careful not to get anything too wide for your frame, or too narrow for your rims.
Old 04-25-23, 06:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Thanks everyone for the inputs!

And similarly inexpensive but good rim type?

Cheers,
Pavel.
For tires, check out biketiresdirect.com . Or go to WTB's website as I'm pretty sure they still carry some inexpensive 26" tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.