Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A Question for the Helmet Zealots

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 10:10 AM
skye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ok, for the third time in 3 weeks, I've been accosted by some well-meaning pinhead about my lack of helmet. Out riding today, I pass this guy who then proceeds to run a red and overtake me on the right so he can lecture me. He said he was concerned about me "riding in the middle of the road through the center of town," and concluded with "and no helmet. Really?"

I can't believe how nice I was to this chump. I introduced myself, mentioned that I was a League certified cycling instructor, said I was using riding techniques that were proven to be safe, and it seemed like he could benefit from taking one of my courses next spring. Ok, it wasn't the best sales pitch in the world, but it was a couple of notches above what I wanted to say.

What I was thinking is, "you stupid twinkie, you ran a freakin' red and passed on the right to lecture *me* about *my* safety???

Other than those 30 seconds, I had a pleasant and enjoyable ride.

But my question is this: What is it about you helmet true believers that makes you want to tell everyone how to ride?

I mean, unless I'm getting paid to do so, I never offer unsolicited corrections to other people's riding, even though like everyone else on this forum, I see a lot of idiocy on the road. It's just plain rude.

So what is it with the helmet crowd that makes them think it's somehow ok for them to tell everyone else what to do?

Last edited by skye; 07-31-11 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-31-11, 10:20 AM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh, he was only concerned about your safety. I think helmets are a good idea too. However, it does seem a bit odd the way he tried to catch up and share his viewpoint on this hotly contested subject. If you boil it down he was concerned about your personal safety. I think in a dog-eat-dog world we could use more "chumps" like that.
Old 07-31-11, 10:25 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a helmet all the time now, but didn't use to in my 20's and 30's. I am not a zealot - you can do what you want (but I do get irritated by those cyclists that flaunt the road rules). I can't say what would drive someone to go after you like that; however it seems that one of the sore points of humaness is the development of a "holier than thou" attitude. Nature or acquired? I don't know but you see this in many situations.

-Gary
Old 07-31-11, 10:36 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Helmets just like automotive body frames have a fail-safe point at which their protective properties become useless. The point at which they both become useless is when the inertia involved in the crash is greater than their protective properties.

For instance kids toys will have an age recommendation on them. Automotive body frames don't have an age recommendation.

When Wouter Weyland died in a crash during the Giro d'talia earlier this year, he was wearing a helmet. But the protective properties of the helmet became useless due to the speed at which he hit his head. Because the inertia of the crash was so great.

Not everyone is going to crash like Wouter Weyland so, having a bike helmet could actually protect a cyclist's head in a crash.

In terms of the guy running a red light, he was in the wrong.

Last edited by Chris516; 07-31-11 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 10:37 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either people don't behave this way in the UK or they don't do it to me. Which is a pity really...
Old 07-31-11, 11:04 AM
cyclocello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Not everyone is going to crash like wouter Weyland so, having a bike helmet could actually protect a cyclist's head in a crash.
Except that colliding with an auto is even more severe than crashing into a wall while racing. So for practical commuting and utility cycle purposes, a helmet can be even less safe than for a sport cyclist.
Old 07-31-11, 11:14 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skye
But my question is this: What is it about you helmet true believers that makes you want to tell everyone how to ride?

I mean, unless I'm getting paid to do so, I never offer unsolicited corrections to other people's riding, even though like everyone else on this forum, I see a lot of idiocy on the road. It's just plain rude.

So what is it with the helmet crowd that makes them think it's somehow ok for them to tell everyone else what to do?
I guess the same thing that makes you think painting everyone who wears a helmet with the same brush works. Was that the broadest brush you could find?

I wear a helmet, personally I think it's daft to cycle without a helmet. But it's a free country and if you want to wear a helmet, or not wear a helmet, you're old enough to make decisions like that for yourself.

Oops, there I go giving my thoughts. Oh well... you did (kind of) ask for them.
Old 07-31-11, 11:29 AM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't drive a car without wearing a seatbelt, and I don't ride a bike without a helmet.
What's the big deal? Why are you being so obtuse? And no, I am not a zealot. If you want traumatic brain injury from a bike crash, then go for it dude.
Old 07-31-11, 11:53 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a helmet.
I wouldn't dare ride without one.
I would never delude myself into believing that a helmet will always save my life.
I know that a helmet significantly decreases the chances of dying or severe brain injury in many common crash scenarios, but will never eliminate those chances.
I get helmet hair from wearing a helmet.
I am hotter when wearing a helmet.
I look like a dork with a helmet.
I prefer lowering my chances of serious injury while wearing my helmet, over the three relatively silly negatives listed above.
I don't ever tell people that they should wear helmets, but I think they should.
I don't like the fact that people who do not wear helmets cause my health insurance premiums to rise because they get injured more often which could have been prevented.
But again, I don't tell them this, and keep it to myself that I think they're loons.
Old 07-31-11, 12:08 PM
Dchiefransom

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=skye;13013167

[/QUOTE]

'Cause we're 'Mericans.
Old 07-31-11, 12:20 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclocello
Except that colliding with an auto is even more severe than crashing into a wall while racing. So for practical commuting and utility cycle purposes, a helmet can be even less safe than for a sport cyclist.
As I said, just like an automotive body frame, there is a point at which the inertia in the crash exceeds the protection capabilities of a bike helmet. But that does not equate to 'So I guess I should not wear since it won't protect me 100%'.

Colliding with a moving vehicle is an example of the inertia involved exceeding the capability of the helmet.
Old 07-31-11, 12:22 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
'Cause we're 'Mericans.
Do you react the same way about someone asking you to wear your seatbelt in a car?
Old 07-31-11, 12:22 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I wear a lid because I mountain bike: branches and overhead stuff can knock you out. I don't give a rat's a$$ if anyone else doesn't. I don't care about helmet laws either. If a helmet keeps me from getting whacked, I'll wear it. Gloves keep me from riding out of the woods with ripped open palms from taking a dive. If you don't want to wear safety equipment, so what, just be prepared to deal with injuries you may incur otherwise. Carry on.

Last edited by thompsonpost; 07-31-11 at 12:31 PM.

Old 07-31-11, 01:33 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
I wear a helmet.
I wouldn't dare ride without one.
I would never delude myself into believing that a helmet will always save my life.
I know that a helmet significantly decreases the chances of dying or severe brain injury in many common crash scenarios
It doesn't. Something like 90% of all severe brain injuries in cycling come from collisions with cars moving at 30mph. A helmet is specced to take a 12mph hit on tarmac, taking the weight of the head only - a 30mph SUV overwhelms it like an a-bomb does sun tan oil. Like many people, you think that you "know" facts that are actually common assumptions - you didn't check.
Old 07-31-11, 02:00 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by meanwhile
It doesn't. Something like 90% of all severe brain injuries in cycling come from collisions with cars moving at 30mph. A helmet is specced to take a 12mph hit on tarmac, taking the weight of the head only - a 30mph SUV overwhelms it like an a-bomb does sun tan oil. Like many people, you think that you "know" facts that are actually common assumptions - you didn't check.
I only half agree with that. Wrong way ninjas' are the perfect example of a collision whether it is head on or not because of how they ignore the traffic laws. Even perpendicular traffic flow won't expect them.
Old 07-31-11, 02:03 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
@Meanwhile. Did you actually see Mithrandir's third sentence? I know my helmet won't stop bullets, but it keeps me from getting whacked by limb's, most of which DO get my attention, and I do know they would knock me out cold without a helmet because I have seen my share of "stars" on the trail.

This thread is losing it's purpose very quickly.

Old 07-31-11, 02:20 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You missed my point.

I *KNOW* it will not save my life in many situations. But there are many situations where it will.

Let's put it this way.

Bicycling without a helmet: X% chance of surviving accident.
Bicycling with a helmet: X+Y% chance of surviving accident.

It doesn't matter how small Y is. I'll take it.
Old 07-31-11, 02:36 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The problem is that people wearing helmets are frequently among the more dangerous riders out there, and then preach about safety like they're the holy. "omg you don't wear a helmet, why don't you ride safe?" "Maybe because I thought the bright lights on my bike and adherence to road safety laws and suggestions, added to the fact that the weather is freaking not permissive of a big styrofoam hat, WAS riding safe.. Unlike YOUR bike, which I see has NO lights, NO reflectors beyond the legal minimum, and which I remember seeing ridden through a red light on the way here and weaving in and out of the gutter pan."

Safe Rider: Wearing a black bike helmet and black clothes at night without lights while listening to their iPod, illegally riding through stop signs which to their credit they didn't see because they're riding against traffic.
Unsafe Rider: Bright visibility lights, reflectors, looking each way at intersections, no headphones, signalling for turns and stops, stopping at all stop signs and stop lights, riding with traffic as per the law on lower speed routes. Wearing a hi-viz beanie cap or no hat on hot days in order to keep cool enough to stay alert.

Seriously, what gives?
Old 07-31-11, 02:37 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
...yadda

What is it about you helmet true believers that makes you want to tell everyone how to ride?

.... yadda
Not a "true believer" or a "zealot", skye. I will answer your question though - I and many others met lots of riders today without helmets and didn't say a word to them.

It's probably your own problem.
Old 07-31-11, 02:47 PM
Dchiefransom

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do you react the same way about someone asking you to wear your seatbelt in a car?
I wear my seatbelt, just like I wear my helmet. People get into other people's business because they know better than the other people. They're 'Mericans.
Old 07-31-11, 02:49 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by electrik
Not a "true believer" or a "zealot", skye. I will answer your question though - I and many others met lots of riders today without helmets and didn't say a word to them.

It's probably your own problem.
At times, I have wanted to say something to them, but I was already in the process of going somewhere and speed was of the essence.
Old 07-31-11, 03:02 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
You missed my point.
No, I just disagreed.

I *KNOW* it will not save my life in many situations. But there are many situations where it will.

Let's put it this way.

Bicycling without a helmet: X% chance of surviving accident.
Bicycling with a helmet: X+Y% chance of surviving accident.

It doesn't matter how small Y is. I'll take it.
A vanishingly small to zero extra chance of survival - which is what a cycling helmet provides - is not any sane person's idea of "[there are] many situations where it will [save my life]."

Btw - what tyres (model and rim width) and brake blocks to you use and what weather conditions do you ride in?
Old 07-31-11, 03:05 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 07-31-11, 03:26 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At times, I have wanted to say something to them, but I was already in the process of going somewhere and speed was of the essence.
I have lots of time sitting at the light, but frankly they're not wearing a helmet... if it was a child i might ask them(it is law for under 16 here), but as adults they get to make their bed and sleep in it - particularly when it comes to being safe(within our laws) or not. That reminds me of a public safety advertisement where two children are sitting in a row boat with their life-jackets on while dad's hat floats on the water a short distance away. Somehow it is easier to take action to "save the children" even when there are lots of life-jackets to go around for the adults also.
Old 07-31-11, 03:30 PM
NixNuxSr

Bikes: Trek 1200; Bilenky Viewpoint Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's your business whether you want to wear a helmet, and people who insist on gratuitous advice should probably mind their own.

But i'm curious why you don't wear one. In your position you must have seen the statistics and read the stories. If you refuse on libertarian grounds, well, I hope it's worth it to you.

I personally have known a couple people with brain damage (though not from bike mishaps) and it ain't pretty -- so I wear one and insist my kids do. It doesn't provide perfect protection, of course, but it's a lot better than none.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.