Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Soma Smothie bike build: Between sizes, help needed.

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 08:10 AM
pacemaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm planning to build me a Soma Smoothie this Spring and would like some input on frame size. The two sizes that would likely work for me are the 52 (530 ETT) and 54 ( 550 ETT). These are the only sizes offered that have such a wide gap in the ETT so I'm obsessing over which one will work best for my needs. My current bike set-up has a 545cm ETT and I use an 80mm Stem ( I recently went down from a 100mm stem and found it more comfortable ). The head tube length on my current bike is 110mm. My drop from the saddle to the bars is about 5cm but my plan with the Smoothie is to raise the drop to about 2-3cm for a less aggressive position.

So, my question is: If I'm looking for a more upright position, would I be better off with the 54cm frame or the 52cm? The 54 has a 140mm head tube and the same head tube angle as my current bike. With the higher stack I will be bringing the bars back closer to where they are now assuming I use the 80mm stem. With the 52cm frame I could use a longer stem to obtain the same "cockpit length" but I don't know if there is anything else I need to consider by going with the smaller frame ( The head tube on the 52 is a little lower at 120mm but still higher than my current bike).

Yeh, I could go get fitted but my "L"BS is 90 miles away and quite frankly they're customer service is severely lacking, so my LBS is generally the internet. As for me; I'm bang on 68" and have a 30.7" inseam.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-19-15, 08:27 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I would go with the size 54. Here's why. If you raise your handlebars 2-3 cm, that will effectively shorten the top tube or reach similar to or even shorter than your current bike. It also will be much easier (and better looking) to raise the handlebars on the 54 since it has a longer head tube than the 52. With the 52, you are likely to need a lot of spacers to raise the handlebars as much as the 54.

If you want to test this out on a calculator, try using this fit tool on the Gunnar website. The Gunnar Sport in size 54 has the same top tube length as a Soma ES 54. Not sure about the seat tube angle and head tube length, but you could compare geometries for other Gunnar models that match the Soma better. I have used this fit tool when buying several new bikes and have found it to be spot on -- you can figure out what size stem, how many spacers, etc. My most recent bike frame purchase was a Soma Saga, and the Gunnar tool told me exactly what size stem (rise and reach), spacers, etc., that I would need.

Gunnar Fit Tool