Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why does Leblanc hate Lance so much?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 03:03 PM
donrhummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any reason why Leblanc (head of Le Tour de France) hates Lance so much? He's now using the Tour's website as a personal diatribe against lance, and he was SOOO quick to throw Lance under the bus based only on hearsay and second-hand info.

On the 24th of July we turned the page on a long, very long chapter in the history of the Tour de France. And one month later, current events made it clear to us that it was just as well that this was so.

Does this justify closing the entire book and erasing all the emotions that, for so many years, the Tour and its champions have provided us with? Taken as a whole, judged on its lifelong worth – like an artist or a poet – and in particular on its future productions, we want to believe that the Tour de France deserves a better fate. The dream that it embodies, the values that it is capable of generating mean that it has a duty to be able to hold its head up in pride.
Yikes!
Old 02-22-06, 03:26 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Wow. Just wow.
Old 02-22-06, 03:37 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
When celebrities race, you get celebrity problems.

Everyone is getting tired of seeing Lance's face plastered all over the world. Someone is twice as likely to know his face over the Vice-President's. Half the magazine sin the US love him, the other half complain about him being everywhere.

I'm in no way saying that he isn't impressive, but damn, there has to be a limit as to how many times a day I see the same face. I don't see my OWN face as much as I see his.
Old 02-22-06, 03:43 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
leblanc is alluding to the epo tests that were supposedly done on older samples of lance's urine. i don't think it was a good move by him. he is speaking on behalf of the organization, after all. he should save his opinions for an interview perhaps....
Old 02-22-06, 03:44 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did LeBlanc pee on Virenque this hard? I don't know, but I kinda doubt it.

[edit] If he was serious, he make it Tour policy that any double positive test, for anything, anywhere and you can't race the Tour ever.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 02-22-06, 03:46 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
personally i think they should settle their differences with a bike race. we used to do that as kids...
Old 02-22-06, 03:47 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking back at past Tour De France guides that come in some of the cycling magazine subscriptions. I was especially interested in the predictions section where several journalists gave their impressions and predicitons for the 2005 TDF.

What struck me was the French journalist. This was written three months BEFORE the tour was to take place.

His prediction was that Lance Armstrong was going to withdraw early during the race. He said that he had priviledged information that will be released that will likely make him leave the tour in shame.

I found that alarming considering what occurred soon after the race. Seems like a very organized and concerted effort amongst many in France to discredit him. The hatred there runs deep for Lance.
06 NYCbikes Single Speed (John Deere Special)
Old 02-22-06, 04:09 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He is French and Lance is no Jerry Lewis.
Old 02-22-06, 04:26 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Why do Americans even bother with the TDF? I certainly wouldn't take that crap.
Make the Giro the event, screw LeBlanc, or replace him with Matt Lebanc.

Old 02-22-06, 04:33 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Everyone is getting tired of seeing Lance's face plastered all over the world. Someone is twice as likely to know his face over the Vice-President's.
Yeah, this is nothing new. Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, and Pope John Paul II were always on the tops of that list for worldwide face recognition in recent decades.

The VP of the US is usually not well known. If only we knew the current VP for less dubious reasons than his stubborn demeanor, war-mongering, and hunting accidents.... but I digress, lest this get moved to P&R.

Lance is a star. He's an icon. It's the way it is. Be thankful he's using it in large part for cancer research and awareness....
Old 02-22-06, 04:49 PM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
did LeBlanc pee on Virenque this hard? I don't know, but I kinda doubt it.

[edit] If he was serious, he make it Tour policy that any double positive test, for anything, anywhere and you can't race the Tour ever.
And at the last Tour, Virenque was praised by the Leblanc and other French Tour officials. Ridiculous.
Old 02-22-06, 05:16 PM
CycleFreakLS

Bikes: Litespeed, Medici, Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to ignore the mindless dribble from Jean Moron LeClunc ...
Old 02-22-06, 05:21 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
When the French are idiots (and they can be) they are REALLY idiotic. We can use LeBlanc's comments to illustrate this in the future.

Next case.
Old 02-22-06, 05:23 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
And at the last Tour, Virenque was praised by the Leblanc and other French Tour officials. Ridiculous.

Donrhummy makes a great point. Wasn't Virenque once banned from cyclng due to the Festina Drug Scandal? Yet he is held in high regard in French public. Marco Pantani has reached virtual sainthood following his postive tests and ultimately his overdose from Cocaine.

Yet Lance is constantly demonized on far less evidence. Yet it is undeniable that he brought the Tour De France more publicity and worldwide appeal than anyone else in Tour History.
06 NYCbikes Single Speed (John Deere Special)
Old 02-22-06, 05:23 PM
samp02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LeBlanc is a moron.
Old 02-22-06, 05:42 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Le Blanc, along with many French race organizers (Bernard Hinault comes to mind) are aggraved that it has been 20 years since a Frenchman won the Tour de France. In that 20 years, 10 were won by an American, 6 by a Spanaird, one Irishman, one Dane, one(and so far only) German, and one Italian. All the while, the Spanish and the Italian have no trouble winning thier respective grand tours.
Old 02-22-06, 05:57 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeegy200
Yet it is undeniable that he brought the Tour De France more publicity and worldwide appeal than anyone else in Tour History.
Is this not what he is saying though? That even with out Lance there is still a Tour going on? There will be a new winner and a new Tour De France with it. That the end of lance doesn't mean the end of the tour and what it embodies in the sports world even if the promoters can't get along with the United Cycling Federation??
Velocity
Old 02-22-06, 06:09 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He doesn't hate him...

...just wishes it was a Frenchman on a French bike that won the TdF...

...or even a European(except maybe our Euro here) on European equipment would do...

...but an American postal worker, on some 'bontrager' wheels?

Old 02-22-06, 11:35 PM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
He doesn't hate him...
No, read that quote again - he has venom in those words. He's saying that the Tour has nothing to do with, and cannot be brought down by, the disgraceful and debased past victor. I believe he's wrong about Lance and is using hearsay as his evidence, but that's what he's saying.
Old 02-23-06, 12:38 AM
Jared88
Nightrider

Bikes: Ellsworth , Scott , Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Why do Americans even bother with the TDF? I certainly wouldn't take that crap.
Make the Giro the event, screw LeBlanc, or replace him with Matt Lebanc.

Old 02-23-06, 01:26 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 2,647 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Le Blanc, along with many French race organizers (Bernard Hinault comes to mind) are aggraved that it has been 20 years since a Frenchman won the Tour de France. In that 20 years, 10 were won by an American, 6 by a Spanaird, one Irishman, one Dane, one(and so far only) German, and one Italian. All the while, the Spanish and the Italian have no trouble winning thier respective grand tours.
Actually, I suspect Bernard Hinault is not all that upset about it being 20 years since a Frenchman has won the TdF, considering who the last TdF-winning Frenchman was. Besides, Hinault is a Breton, and they only reluctantly allow themselves to be considered French.

As for the nationalities of the winners, it gets worse than that. Thanks to Lemond, Armstrong and Indurain, both the US and Spain have more winners in the last 20 years than France has podium finishes. Ouch. When your biggest GC "threats" since Fignon in 1989 are Luc Leblanc and Richard Virenque, I guess you get a little testy on the subject of the yellow jersey.
Old 02-23-06, 01:28 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Lance pissed in his cheerios, then slapped him around showing him who is his daddy.
Actually all this talk about French reminds me of what WWII veteran told me once. Paraphrasing slightly French are good and noble people, France French are bunch of tools who don't even like their fellow French. . There is a grave for WWII soldiers somewhere in the country side of France. It's meticulously maintained by people who live near it, in show of respect and gratitude to those soldiers.
Old 02-23-06, 06:09 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
And of course:

Texas is bigger'n France.

That's what REALLY pisses them off in frogville.
Old 02-23-06, 09:04 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
French people basically hate everything that isn't French. They are particularly not fond of Americans. Go there and you'll see what I mean. They hate that an American has been their champion for 7 consecutive years. It's as simple as that, I think. Perhaps this year they'll get a European champion since Lance isn't competing.
Old 02-23-06, 09:07 AM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it makes you feel any better...had a Brit had won the last seven in a row, it would be even worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.