Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light, small frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light, small frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 01:04 AM
harrier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Light, small frame

I bought a used bike for my wife that she had been using on a trip overseas. When we changed the bars to drop bars, it became immediately apparent that the top tube was too long for her. So, now I need a smaller bike and I was contemplating one build around smaller wheels (650b or 26?).

Any recs on good small frame for road use. We will be doing a few 50mi rides and she seems to like to do around 25mi rides.
Old 08-21-09, 07:15 AM
timeedgevxr

Bikes: Time VXR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
small?? light?? 650?? ...Of new stuff on the market, your best bet is The Orbea Onix Dama. I believe the sub-48cm frames use 650's. The frame sells for about $1400+

Out side of that - check ebay.

FYI (...and I might be wrong) - I don't think I've ever seen a road bike with 650B wheels. You might be suprised - there's a ton of really nice WSD bikes out there as small as 47cm that are built around 700c wheels. 650's are fading away pretty quick.
Old 08-21-09, 07:26 AM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
650c is what you should be looking for. If the frame size is 47cm or smaller, 650c wheels make for much less toe overlap and a much more "normal appearing" frame. I just bought my wife a very nice Cannondale Six13 frame; it's a 47cm and uses 650c wheels.

I'm building it up as a "weight weenie el cheapo" exercise with SRAM Rival and some Lew 650c carbon tubular rims I've had for years. I expect the total cost to come in at ~$1000 and it should weigh under 16 lbs.