Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show off your pretty LUGS!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show off your pretty LUGS!

Old 03-01-21, 07:11 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
This Tondu is not mine. I spotted it on a stranger's car, and I haven't been able to put it out of my mind.

Old 03-01-21, 07:36 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts

Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 03-01-21, 08:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
since the issue of "other people's bikes" has been broached, perhaps it's okay to share this article from Bicycle Guide from many years ago (probably early 90's). It features the work of Columbine bikes (the Murphy brothers) and Glenn Erickson. This is some wonderfully custom stuff, making even a Hetchins look like a crude mass produced chunk of steel.
Incredible!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-01-21, 10:30 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 255 Posts
Damn! You guys are killing me. I had a Columbine on my want list for the longest time. However the extreme expense kept me from getting one.

Thanks for showing off

John
Old 03-02-21, 01:06 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
This Tondu is not mine. I spotted it on a stranger's car, and I haven't been able to put it out of my mind.

I saw that frame and met the owner at Ed Litton's shop. The fleur de lys were not applied as a sheet with clear stuff then peeled away. No, the owner applied every one of those little buggers by hand, separately, himself. Every. Single. One. It looks every bit as great from six inches away, or even one inch away, as it does from six feet away. It had to have taken many hours . More amazingly, to get that level of precision, it had to have taken many hours with no beer.

The bike is even smaller than it looks in the photos because those are not 27" or 700c wheels. I think they are 24", but I can't swear to that. I just know that Clydesdale me would look like a circus bear trying to ride it.
Old 03-02-21, 09:15 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
I've been fond of pretty lugs ever since I got my Hetchins from Alf 50 years ago. It was their simplest lug design and had straight rear stays. I still have it. In fact designing and cutting out my own lug set is partly what got me into framebuilding. Over the years I've refined a process to do that (and can share it with anybody if you are interested). Many of my framebuilding class students like to design and cut out their own lug set too. I could fill pages of this subject thread with pictures of fancy lugged frames my students have made in class.

Here is an example a botanist did. The design of the lugs and the paint scheme (also done in my shop) is based on a trillium flower. Because she wasn't very tall we designed her frame around 650C wheels and added a bit of extension above the top of the top tube lug so her stem extension looked proportional.

Old 03-02-21, 09:16 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I saw that frame and met the owner at Ed Litton's shop. The fleur de lys were not applied as a sheet with clear stuff then peeled away. No, the owner applied every one of those little buggers by hand, separately, himself. Every. Single. One. It looks every bit as great from six inches away, or even one inch away, as it does from six feet away. It had to have taken many hours . More amazingly, to get that level of precision, it had to have taken many hours with no beer.
I was pondering that myself. It looks so perfect that there had to be some guides or tooling. That might be a pretty interesting story all by itself!

This makes me wonder if we need a "most time consuming or difficult paint job" thread??
I can think of a couple of candidates from Shamrock Cycles at the 2015 NAHBS. Let me include a teaser of one of them, since it also shows off some nice lugs...

they consistently produced some amazing work, and displayed an unofficial trophy....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-02-21, 09:57 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I was pondering that myself. It looks so perfect that there had to be some guides or tooling. That might be a pretty interesting story all by itself! Steve in Peoria
I'm a painter and looked at this paint job with amazement. It is really beautifully done. I think the description that every single fluer-de-lis was placed individually is a bit generous. Those I believe are dry transfer decals that probably were printed on a sheet or sheets with multiple fleur-de-lis already spaced and not hundreds of little one-off sheets. I'm guessing that if I could talk directly to the painter he would tell me he had to rub off each little design one at a time off of the sheet onto the frame. Even that way is extremely difficult. It is easy as the painter is rubbing one off to keep the rest of the sheet away from frame so they don't mess up already placed decals or bits of the decals on the sheet don't deposit somewhere they shouldn't. And he has to keep the sheet straight. And it would be a lot easier on a flat surface than round round tubes. However it was done I'm full of appreciation.
Old 03-02-21, 11:21 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I'm a painter and looked at this paint job with amazement. It is really beautifully done. I think the description that every single fluer-de-lis was placed individually is a bit generous. Those I believe are dry transfer decals that probably were printed on a sheet or sheets with multiple fleur-de-lis already spaced and not hundreds of little one-off sheets. I'm guessing that if I could talk directly to the painter he would tell me he had to rub off each little design one at a time off of the sheet onto the frame. Even that way is extremely difficult. It is easy as the painter is rubbing one off to keep the rest of the sheet away from frame so they don't mess up already placed decals or bits of the decals on the sheet don't deposit somewhere they shouldn't. And he has to keep the sheet straight. And it would be a lot easier on a flat surface than round round tubes. However it was done I'm full of appreciation.
To be clear, Doug, the owner explicitly said he applied the fleur de lys himself. The frame was in Ed Litton's paint shed when I saw it (I was picking up or dropping off something and the owner happened to stop by while I was there) so Ed clearly had something to do with the process. He may have done the underlying paint and then clear-coated the finished product, but I am not certain about that - I didn't think to ask.

You may be correct about the sheets (that's what I thought it was). All I can report is what the owner said to me and that Ed was there and did not contradict the guy.

However it was done, it was done very, very well. If there is a misplaced fleur de lys on that frame, I didn't see it.
Old 03-02-21, 11:30 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

I was pondering that myself. It looks so perfect that there had to be some guides or tooling. That might be a pretty interesting story all by itself!
On the other hand, I've seen film of box pinstriping being applied to a Jack Taylor by whichever one of the Taylor brothers that did that. Completely freehand. Completely perfect. No guides other than his hand. I don't think that would work for applying multiple dozens of small decals/whatever so precisely, but it is amazing what some people (not me) can do purely using hand-eye coordination.

Of course,decades of experience doesn't hurt, either.
Old 03-03-21, 04:09 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
On the other hand, I've seen film of box pinstriping being applied to a Jack Taylor by whichever one of the Taylor brothers that did that. Completely freehand. Completely perfect. No guides other than his hand. I don't think that would work for applying multiple dozens of small decals/whatever so precisely, but it is amazing what some people (not me) can do purely using hand-eye coordination.

Of course,decades of experience doesn't hurt, either.
I once had a race car I had built with my friend who painted cars. When we were done with the car my friend said it looked too plain. He brought his boss home who was a pin striper . I could not believe my eyes when he pin striped my black car with gold pin stripes. So perfect! All done freehand . I saw that same video of the Jack Taylor shop and that guy was so good with that tool and I know it wasn’t the tool, it was the artist. Until you see it done it is hard to believe.
Old 03-03-21, 07:51 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I only have these, My Zunow

A Geoffrey Butler I have yet to build

My Witcomb that has been gugizied and yet to build

Likes For bwilli88:
Old 03-03-21, 11:22 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by bwilli88
My Witcomb that has been gugizied and yet to build

that's one of the cleanest Nervex head lugs I've seen in a while. Or at least one of the best defined, or crispest? What's the word I'm looking for?
It does seem to have gotten a bit of work with a file, perhaps...
Honestly, I'm tempted to say that they might be Sachs Newvex lugs, but I don't recall the details of how they differed from the original Nervex.

for comparison, here's the lower Nervex head tube lug from my International...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-03-21, 08:18 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 286 Posts
1982 Columbine, originally built for a beefy weightlifter, spec'd with a beefier downtube.

1982 Columbine, built within a few months of the one above. John Murphy didn't have any recollections about this customer. I got it rattle-canned gold, respray by Franklin Frames.

1976 Strawberry, built by Mark DiNucci, in his very early 20s. I'm a DiNucci fanboi, I think his sense of line and execution at such an early age is extraordinary, and I'm also amazed to see how that's followed him into geezerhood. Keep in mind that after '84/'85 or so, when he joined Specialized, he didn't build for decades. Instead he designed bikes that sold in the hundreds of thousands. Now he's back building again, and the world is better for it. Told you, I'm a fan.
[

1984 DiNucci, built for the sales mgr at Ritchey as a touring frame, modified into a sport-tour frame after having children cut down on his touring. Kids, amirite? Much later sold to Bryant Bainbridge, Ol' Spokesniffer, who worked with Mark at Spec'l for years. BB had Mark tweak it a little more, then he kinda twisted Brian Baylis' arm to paint it. Wound up being not long before Baylis passed. I got my hands on it after it passed through one more owner. Unfortunately for the drooling Merziac, it will only be pried from my cold, dead, rigor-mortised hands/fingers, and I plan to live a lot longer. He ain't gettin' it anytime soon. I hope...

2014 Specialized Allez 40th Anniv Ltd Ed: Mike Sinyard wanted to do some cool stuff for Spec'l 40th anniv, and he asked Mark, many years after Mark had left Spec'l, if he'd be willing to design a 40th anniv tribute to the Allez, one of the trio of frame designs that launched Spec'l into the frame/complete-bike business. Sinyard would give Mark a blank check, and Mark's task was to design the best steel frame possible with contemporary technology. But Mark could commission all-new tubing, lugs, and anything else he needed till he couldn't make it any better. And Mark could keep the designs and molds for the frame parts to use on his own frames after the project was finished. Mark, not being stupid, said yes. They brought in Bryant Bainbridge to manage the sourcing/production. The band was back together!

BB picked Toyo in Japan to build/paint the frames, fitting since the original Allez (and Sequoia/Expedition) were built in Japan. The 40th Anniv Allez was a limited production run of 74 frames, because Sinyard started Spec'l, out of his car trunk, in 1974. The frames were auctioned off on ebay, with all the proceeds going to World Bicycle Relief.

The reason for all this long-windedness is because the custom frames Mark is building today all use the tubing/bits-n-bobs he developed for the 40th Anniv Allez. He started with a blank sheet of paper, asked himself how he'd make the best lugs, dropouts, bz-ons, what kind of tubing to spec. I've seen some of the early prototypes of the lugs, crown, bb shell and dropouts, and he had to go through 3-4 prototypes from the vendors on some of them before they got it right. There's an awful lot going on under the surface. And what's remarkable to me is you can see a lot of the same lines and shapes he was crafting back in '76 at Strawberry, barely out of his teens. I need more/better pictures of this frame...

1972 Hetchins Italia, one of two ordered by a cardiologist in Birmingham, AL. This was the one he barely rode. One of the mint-est vintage bikes I've landed, off ebay, then FedEx almost killed it. It miraculously survived, still pretty, but it went from not a scratch on it to some chips and gouges here and there, and I had replace the original rims. I switched around the build a bit, but kept it mostly vintage/repop, and kept the original stuff in case it ever needs to be restored to original. Except for the rims, they're recycled now.

Last edited by pcb; 03-08-21 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-03-21, 08:34 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 53 Posts
Likes For 1 Lugnut:
Old 03-03-21, 08:34 PM
pcb 

2006 Kirk Terraplane

1978 Chris Kvale---this was the standard model, the deluxe had even thinner lugs. Chris said he thinned the std ones so much he eventually dropped the deluxe designation and just thinned 'em all the same.

1971 Raleigh/Carlton Professional Track: I thought these looked a little nicer than your average Raleigh Pro, and I don't recall seeing my Pros with chromed lugs.

1998 Rivendell Custom, built by Joe Starck.

1982 Peter Weigle Sportif: built as one of two customs for Capt James, a seafaring captain. This one stayed at home, the other, not quite as nice, he left in a frequent port-of-call. Peter recalled the frame being a pain to build, because Capt James "wanted to use a lot of weird components." This isn't a Weigle Special, which, kinda like the Witcomb Super Crit, got a little fancier lug/paint work.

2008 Mike Zanconato Groader.

Last edited by pcb; 03-08-21 at 09:17 PM.
Likes For pcb:
Old 03-03-21, 08:42 PM
pcb 

1975 Witcomb USA Super Criterium, built when Richard Sachs, Peter Weigle, Chris Chance and Gary Sinkus were the primary builders. Got this from a friend, who had contacted Peter about it. Peter said the Super Crits got extra finishing/details. Later on he found the build sheet, and said somebody had written "BRAVO!" across it. Lovely frame, significantly on the small side for me, and since I don't keep wall hangers I can't ride, I sold it maybe 10yrs ago. Would never have let it go if it fit.

I didn't photograph it, but I think there was a giant heart cutout underneath the bb shell as well.

Last edited by pcb; 03-08-21 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For pcb:
Old 03-03-21, 09:04 PM
pcb 

2015ish Cherubim Speedmaster show bike, and yes, the saddle and brake levers are, shall we say, impractical. But Konno-san likes fancy show bikes that draw a crowd, and this certainly did.

2016ish Cherubim Sportif, standard-ish model, built as a show sample. I sold it to a wonderful gent who sadly passed late last year. Buddy of his will likely be reselling it soon for the rider's family.
Cherubim use a frame painter who specializes in keirin bikes, and the keirin riders like their paint ultra-thin and ultra-flashy. The paint and chrome on this one are pretty spectacular.

Last edited by pcb; 03-08-21 at 08:54 PM.
Likes For pcb:
Old 03-03-21, 09:18 PM
pcb 

'94 Nagasawa Road Special, Nagasawa-san's personal frame:

2014 Nagasawa Keirin Special:

Last edited by pcb; 03-08-21 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-04-21, 12:57 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

1978 Eisentraut "A." The cool pump peg is a bonus. These photos are almost 10 years old. I still have and ride this beauty, although it isn't quite as pristine as this any more. But it still looks great.

Old 03-04-21, 01:01 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by pcb

That saddle may juuuust bit too zen for my tastes . . . .
Old 03-04-21, 11:04 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 154 Posts
Some simple French sexiness, not my photo but now my frame....Bernard Carre
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 03-04-21, 11:10 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by pcb

Weigle?? (based mostly on the color...)

Steve in Peoria
Old 03-04-21, 11:31 AM
pcb 

No, Weigle-esque as that color has become, it's an early Zanconato groad frame. 2006 build, clears 700x38mm tires, 80mm of bb drop and 60mm of trail. I have to restrain myself from chopping off the unused rear canti cable stop on the seatstays.

Weigle?? (based mostly on the color...)

Steve in Peoria
Old 03-04-21, 03:25 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Some of my favorites:

1965 Masi Special

1949 Gillott

1976 Alex Singer

1949 Carpenter

early 50s Albert Monteil
Likes For Duke7777:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.