Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chainring bolt tool?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Chainring bolt tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 10:15 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Chainring bolt tool?

Just received a new 42t chain ring. Dropping the ratio slightly from 49/20 to 42/18.

I have a Park Tool chainring spanner to hold the slotted nut at the back. I've only had to use it a couple of times in the past (I don't change chainrings often!) and it was a very poor fit and chewed at the edges of the slot.

I've managed to get it "tight enough for now" but I've also ordered a new set of chainring bolts.

What is the best tool for holding the slotted nut? I normally find Park Tools pretty good but this particular tool is just a piece of pressed steel that is barely an approximate fit.

One that's available in the UK would be ideal!

Thanks.
Old 03-09-21, 10:32 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've never had trouble with the Park tool, but maybe try the Shimano TLFC-22.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-09-21, 10:53 AM
acoustophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
I use a chainring bolt tool and hold press it into the slots with a vice grip so it doesn't slip. Eliminates the bolt slipping and rounding out the edge.
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 03-10-21, 07:18 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
All sorted. Thanks to those who replied.

The old chainring bolts were good few years old and the threads were a bit graunchy even after I cleaned them. They may also have been a tiny tad too long for the new chainring, even though it is for a single speed. The Park Tool spanner was a very poor fit for them.

New chainring bolts arrived today, courtesy of Amazon. The threads were smooth, they were a tiny tad shorter, and the Park Tool fitted the slot perfectly. A triple whammy! They went in easily and nipped up with no trouble at all.

Bike is now on 42/18 which is 63 inches. Before, it was on 49 x 20 which is 66 inches, and I now have the 20t in reserve if I want to do some serious off roading when the mud has dried up a bit.

63 inches is pretty low, but I've found in recent rides that I wanted a "slightly lower gear" more often (headwinds, long gradual climbs) than I needed a "slightly higher gear" (the very occasional hilarious descent).