Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Top tube slope

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Top tube slope

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 10:35 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
IIRC, the Giant TCR was the first modern road sloping TT bike in 1997. Back then, it was said one of the advantages was to reduce the frame sizes to 3 (S, M, L).
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ant-tcr-206346
I skimmed it.
If the seat stays don’t meet the top tube, doesn’t that bike have reduced stiffness?
Old 03-30-21, 10:45 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
The visual appeal of a clean clear-coated lugged or fillet frame is powerful indeed, however every time I hear people discussing the actuality, it seems impossible to prevent rust incursion. The clear coat is too porous, and the steel doesn't have the protection of primer/paint, so you get spider-web rust formations and streaks. They start out lovely, but get ugly pretty quick. So I've heard...

I've seen frames out of Japan with mega-thin paint, mostly done by painters specializing in Keirin track bikes. The Keirin riders have to use standard-spec, Keirin-approved frames/parts, so the paint is one of the only places they have any ability to save even a few grams of weight. Plus they want their bikes to look sweet. That thin paint doesn't quite match the honesty, certainly not the transparency, of clear coat, but it's maybe as close as you can get.

On the lovely Rickert, those look like pretty standard Nervex Pro lugs, which were widely used for decades, and they're not unusually small as production lugs go. Do some searching here for "bikini lugs" if you want to see something even more minimalistic.

As for fillet vs lugged vs whatevs, both properly done fillet and lugs should be strong enough that when stressed to breaking, the frame fails elsewhere. Fillet gives the builder more freedom in choosing frame angles and tubing profiles, lugs may help the builder make the frame a little more distinctive, or better showcase their style/abilities with both lug choice and lug modification. Like Gugie!

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Whichever kind. I’ve always had a thing for a raw finish. Maybe a clear powder coat showing the brazing or welding.

I’m a huge fan of honesty. Including revealing structural details.

I think it would even be cool with a clear coated lugged frame.
Old 03-30-21, 11:00 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Gosh, you don't say? Here's a quote from the article:

"The performance benefits were obvious: a smaller main triangle was both stiffer and lighter. The rear triangle was correspondingly smaller, enhancing power transfer.
The Giant Mike Burrows carbon aero seatpost, that came in a number of different lengths and the Burrows adjustable stem meant that it was possible to achieve a bespoke fit.
For Giant there were enormous economic benefits, namely that they didn’t have to make 10 frame sizes using 10 sets of tooling; they could mass-produce three."

My thoughts/observations, both at the time and now, were/are:

1. Atop the smaller/stiffer rear triangle now towers a very long, non-trangulated/unsupported section of seatpost. How is that stiffer if the rider is pedaling from the saddle? Isn't some power lost to seatpost flex?
2. Achieving a bespoke fit by jacking up the seatpost sky-high, and/or resorting to very long, also inherently flexier stems, had neither handling nor fitting advantages in the real world.
3. The "enormous economic benefits" of reducing sizes by, what, threefold in this case, were IMHO/IME the true motivation for mfrs embracing this design.
4. From 10 to only 3 frame sizes you say? Hmmm, wonder what the catalogs said...

IIRC, the Giant TCR was the first modern road sloping TT bike in 1997. Back then, it was said one of the advantages was to reduce the frame sizes to 3 (S, M, L).

Last edited by pcb; 03-30-21 at 11:52 PM.
Likes For pcb:
Old 03-30-21, 11:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts

My lug. Not nearly so beautiful.
There's some real beauty in that weld! Nothing hidden. That brazed lug of mine took a lot of filing to look good.

Whichever kind. I’ve always had a thing for a raw finish. Maybe a clear powder coat showing the brazing or welding.

I’m a huge fan of honesty. Including revealing structural details.

I think it would even be cool with a clear coated lugged frame.
That's the holy grail of bike finishes. Unfortunately no one's figured out how to just clear coat a frame and not have rust spiders grow underneath, which kinda defeats the purpose. I've thought of attaching a sacrificial anode compartment in a frame, replace it every so often, and the frame would never rust, but smarter people than me have probably thought about this already and rejected it.
Old 03-30-21, 11:10 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by pcb
The visual appeal of a clean clear-coated lugged or fillet frame is powerful indeed, however every time I hear people discussing the actuality, it seems impossible to prevent rust incursion. The clear coat is too porous, and the steel doesn't have the protection of primer/paint, so you get spider-web rust formations and streaks. They start out lovely, but get ugly pretty quick. So I've heard...

I've seen frames out of Japan with mega-thin paint, mostly done by painters specializing in Keirin track bikes. The Keirin riders have to use standard-spec, Keirin-approved frames/parts, so the paint is one of the only places they have any ability to save even a few grams of weight. Plus they want their bikes to look sweet. That thin paint doesn't quite match the honesty, certainly not the transparency, of clear coat, but it's maybe as close as you can get.

On the lovely Rickert, those look like pretty standard Nervex Pro lugs, which were widely used for decades, and they're not unusually small as production lugs go. Do some searching here for "bikini lugs" if you want to see something even more minimalistic.

As for fillet vs lugged vs whatevs, both properly done fillet and lugs should be strong enough that when stressed to breaking, the frame fails elsewhere. Fillet gives the builder more freedom in choosing frame angles and tubing profiles, lugs may help the builder make the frame a little more distinctive, or better showcase their style/abilities with both lug choice and lug modification. Like Gugie!
rust. Thanks.
Old 03-31-21, 03:49 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Did someone say clear coated steel?

From here.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-31-21, 08:08 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by P!N20
Did someone say clear coated steel?

From here.
Thats beautiful.
Old 03-31-21, 09:16 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I had a PDF of "Designing and building your own frameset: An illustrated guide for the amateur bicycle builder (1979) -Talbot " which I've been meaning to read and this thread made me skim through it last night. I was quite surprised that in the design section the TT angle isn't mentioned (Unless I missed it). And it starts with you figuring out the headtube angle then the crown race position and size. I found it interesting all the changes you can make to get a frame to fit better including the width of a persons hips.
Old 03-31-21, 10:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
false, see post 34
Show me a catalog where the company has fewer sizes from the sloping top tube era vs the straight top tube era. I’ve provide 3 examples where there aren’t fewer frame sizes after sloping top tubes were introduced into a company’s line.

I’ve checked at a lot of catalogs for this thread. The older catalogs...era of horizontal top tubes...list fewer frame sizes while the newer catalogs...era of sloping top tubes...list more frame sizes. The assertion that bicycle companies make fewer frame sizes because they use sloping top tubes is demonstrably false. Size designations like small, medium, and large aren’t used in road bikes in the catalogs I’ve reviewed. They seem to be used more in the mountain bike lines then in the road bikes. Even there, they don’t just stick with “small, medium, and large”. Trek has XXS, S, M, M/L, L, and XL designations for their mountain bikes. Just like with their road bike line, not every bike in their line has an extra small but an extra small option is available in at least some of their line.

Looking through the Trek catalogs, sloping top tubes don’t even really start to show up until the 2005 Pilot. Even then it was offered in 5 sizes, six if you include the WSD line. That’s, roughly, double of what you and Chombi1 have said were available.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-31-21, 10:08 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by cbrstar
I had a PDF of "Designing and building your own frameset: An illustrated guide for the amateur bicycle builder (1979) -Talbot " which I've been meaning to read and this thread made me skim through it last night. I was quite surprised that in the design section the TT angle isn't mentioned (Unless I missed it). And it starts with you figuring out the headtube angle then the crown race position and size. I found it interesting all the changes you can make to get a frame to fit better including the width of a persons hips.
It’s extremely interesting. I knew some kind of jig/fixture had to be involved, but didn’t see pics of it till recently.

More elegant and precise than drawing everything out right onto the fab table, tacking the channel directly to the table style of fabricating.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 03-31-21, 10:15 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Okay, there’s an example. But that is only one example. Sloping top tubes have been used extensively in mountain biking and they certainly don’t come in three sizes.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-31-21, 10:36 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by pcb
Gosh, you don't say? Here's a quote from the article:

"The performance benefits were obvious: a smaller main triangle was both stiffer and lighter. The rear triangle was correspondingly smaller, enhancing power transfer.
The Giant Mike Burrows carbon aero seatpost, that came in a number of different lengths and the Burrows adjustable stem meant that it was possible to achieve a bespoke fit.
For Giant there were enormous economic benefits, namely that they didn’t have to make 10 frame sizes using 10 sets of tooling; they could mass-produce three."
It’s hard to find old Giant catalogs but I did find one from 1997. Yes, they only list S, M, and L for the TCR. Their less expensive road bikes (with slopy top tubes) come in loads of sizes. And, given what you have posted above, I wonder how long the trend continued. Today’s TCR with a top tube with much more slope comes in 6 sizes. Apparently companies didn’t make bikes with sloping top tubes so that they could make fewer sizes.

1. Atop the smaller/stiffer rear triangle now towers a very long, non-trangulated/unsupported section of seatpost. How is that stiffer if the rider is pedaling from the saddle? Isn't some power lost to seatpost flex?
If you are riding correctly, the length of seatpost shouldn’t matter. A rider really isn’t supposed to “sit” on a saddle like it is a chair. It’s there for support and, done properly, the rider should not be putting a significant amount of weight on the saddle.

2. Achieving a bespoke fit by jacking up the seatpost sky-high, and/or resorting to very long, also inherently flexier stems, had neither handling nor fitting advantages in the real world.
And the fact that we don’t currently have only three sizes speaks volumes. The fact that many of the bicycle companies that embraced the advantages of the sloping top tube didn’t go to just 3 sizes speaks volumes. It seems almost like one company learned that limiting the number of bike sizes was a mistake...which they quickly corrected. Seems like everyone else didn’t follow the trend.

3. The "enormous economic benefits" of reducing sizes by, what, threefold in this case, were IMHO/IME the true motivation for mfrs embracing this design.
For one company. Not manufacturers but manufacturer. Singular. One company does not a evil conspiracy make. And it may have hurt them in the short term.

4. From 10 to only 3 frame sizes you say? Hmmm, wonder what the catalogs said...
I will admit that is one example. But it was not industry wide as has been implied in many posts above.

Old 04-15-21, 07:22 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by pcb

I just had a thought...
What if the same thing happens under pigmented paint/powder coat, but no one knows because the paint hides the corrosion?
Old 04-15-21, 07:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I just had a thought...
What if the same thing happens under pigmented paint/powder coat, but no one knows because the paint hides the corrosion?
It most certainly happens. But that's the point, you don't see it. Turns out that rust spiders, or most rust we see on a bicycle frame is only skin deep, and has so little effect on strength of the frame that it just doesn't really matter.
Old 04-15-21, 07:47 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by gugie
It most certainly happens. But that's the point, you don't see it. Turns out that rust spiders, or most rust we see on a bicycle frame is only skin deep, and has so little effect on strength of the frame that it just doesn't really matter.
Got it. So the objection would be more it won’t look clean, pretty, and fresh after awhile.
Old 04-15-21, 09:09 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Got it. So the objection would be more it won’t look clean, pretty, and fresh after awhile.
Yep, outta sight, outta mind.
Old 04-16-21, 06:23 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
1959 German touring bike by Hugo Rickert.
Besides, this thread NEEDS pics.

Is it sloped enough? I dunno.
Maybe not sloped that much if at all - could be a distorted photo (or perhaps a 27 front and a 700 rear?); check the crop:

Old 04-16-21, 06:31 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
They weren't all level....

For some reason no one wants to buy this one as I downsize, LOL!!
Old 04-16-21, 06:54 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
When I started making frames in the mid 70's, I had to make a frame's seat tube long enough to fit a fairly short Campy seat post. I wasn't aware of longer seat posts until the mountain bike craze. A seat post was including in a Campy group that most customers wanted to use. Only the smallest slope was possible before running out of seat post length. This issue got worse when making a frame for a tall fellow that probably had a deeper handlebar drop. They couldn't ride a smaller frame with a level tup tube because of seat post minimum insertion requirements. And the top tube couldn't be sloped by fillet brazing again because normal available seatposts were short and couldn't put the saddle in a high enough position.

edit: jamesdak picture of the Schwinn Prologue is an illustration of having to make a seat tube long enough to fit fairly short seat posts.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 04-16-21 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added info
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-16-21, 01:47 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by jamesdak
They weren't all level....

For some reason no one wants to buy this one as I downsize, LOL!!
Bah ha ha!
Is that what road bike riders refer to as “aero?”
But then where do my nuts go?
Old 04-17-21, 10:21 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by pcb

Paint has a definite weight to it.
2 examples.
My kids pinewood derby car. It looked nice. I should have known the paint was going to make it overweight.

I forgot about this. Had a welding hood years ago. I painted it with white and orange stripes so I knew which was mine from a distance. The paint added so much weight that the hood kept coming down on its own and losing proper tension on the hinge screws.
Old 04-18-21, 04:57 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
I just had a thought...
Umm...not sure if y'all know but clear primers are available, as well as basecoats.