Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 12:10 PM
chrisstamps1962

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisstamps1962
Hi 1984 bikes seem to start with a 4 something like 461*** or 48*** so I think it would be earlier than that as a 1982 model starts 2A**** check there not a number before the letter
Chris
Hi found A is an 1983; model
Old 04-14-21, 12:18 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. That's not the serial number format I'd expect for model equipped with Victory. Bianchi USA only offered a model with Victory for 1985-1988 inclusive. In 1985 &1986 it was the Vittoria. In 1988 it was the Nuovo Alloro and in 1989 it was the Giro. We should be able to tell which it is based on tubeset and whether it has friction or Syncro/indexed shift levers.

You can upload pictures. Ignore the site. Ignore the site warning. Photos won't attach to the post but they will upload to gallery album under your user name, where members can view them.
Old 04-14-21, 12:51 PM
ckunstadt

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I've uploaded some pics to my profile.

The shifters are friction, 6-speed.

Also, it's totally possible that my components are Triomphe and not Victory.

thanks guys.

Last edited by ckunstadt; 04-14-21 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-20-21, 02:57 PM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Bikes: Marinoni, Bianchi, Peugeot, Raleigh, CCM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Hi,
I have an old mid-blue Piaggio Bianchi that has the Shimano 600 Arabesque groups on it.
Serial # AS316871
After reading this forum, I assumed that it’s a 1981 or 2 model year.
What kind of Japanese tubing does it have?
Thanks all.
Old 04-20-21, 03:26 PM
OlderNotWiser
Ageing Warrior

Bikes: Bianchi Caurus Proto frame that needs tlc and re-equipping with difficult to source parts that I cannot afford!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Well, I found the photos but all four are close-ups that do little to aid in identification.
Cheers for the reply T-Mar. I keep trying to respond but the site will not allow me (just get a message about not posting URLs so I must be mucking things up).
I put up the close-ups of the member union profiles hoping that it may aid i.d. the tubing.
I will, once illness allows, strip the rest of the alien equipment off and show its entirity.
Cheers again.
Old 04-20-21, 03:30 PM
ckunstadt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckunstadt
Okay, I've uploaded some pics to my profile.

The shifters are friction, 6-speed.

Also, it's totally possible that my components are Triomphe and not Victory.

thanks guys.
Has anyone had a chance to take a look at my pics in my Profile?
I'd like to know what model and year I have. It's a great bike!!

thanks
Chris
Old 04-20-21, 03:41 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by ckunstadt
Has anyone had a chance to take a look at my pics in my Profile?
I'd like to know what model and year I have. It's a great bike!!

thanks
Chris
I just looked at the photos. The components are Triomphe and the Bianchi Special tubing was only used for the 1985 model year, so you have a 1985 Bianchi Veloce. Enjoy!
Old 04-20-21, 03:48 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by guelphite
Hi,
I have an old mid-blue Piaggio Bianchi that has the Shimano 600 Arabesque groups on it.
Serial # AS316871
After reading this forum, I assumed that it’s a 1981 or 2 model year.
What kind of Japanese tubing does it have?
Thanks all.
No, it a 1983 model. Canadian models were different than the USA during this era. What's the proper seat post diameter?
Old 04-20-21, 03:52 PM
ckunstadt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just looked at the photos. The components are Triomphe and the Bianchi Special tubing was only used for the 1985 model year, so you have a 1985 Bianchi Veloce. Enjoy!
Hooray!!
thanks so much!!
Old 04-20-21, 04:03 PM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Hello,
I apologize for my measurements.
I have a big-box-store digital measurement tool is inconsistent.
It ranges from 27.2 to 28 LOL. I’ve taken it 6 times and 2 of them was 27.2.
Thanks T-Mar for your help!
Old 04-20-21, 04:42 PM
T-Mar

Hello,
I apologize for my measurements.
I have a big-box-store digital measurement tool is inconsistent.
It ranges from 27.2 to 28 LOL. I’ve taken it 6 times and 2 of them was 27.2.
Thanks T-Mar for your help!
During this era, this Japanese manufacturer was using predominantly Ishiwata tubesets. Assuming 27.2mm is correct, my leading candidate would be Ishiwata 022, which would be appropriate for a Japanese manufactured, mid-range model with Shimano 600EX (Arabesque). Cheers, Calvin.
Old 04-20-21, 08:26 PM
guelphite
Prince of the Royal City

Hello again,
Tonight I told my friend as to what I’ve found out about my Bianchi and we got into a debate over the 022 tubing.
First though, he would like his Bianchi Piaggio identified AS308215 with 27.2 seat post.
The argument was over the 022 tubing.
Because there is no stickers on both bikes, he says that my tubing is ‘straight gauge’ which means that it isn’t butted.
I did mention that the frame can be weighed to determine if it is butted.
We both agree that its a mid-grade bike but I can’t see 022 as mid grade and not butted.
Currently I have a Carlton that is a 024 and is quite heavy.
Can someone put me out of my misery? Are there two types of Ishawata 022?
Old 04-21-21, 05:47 AM
T-Mar

Hello again,
Tonight I told my friend as to what I’ve found out about my Bianchi and we got into a debate over the 022 tubing.
First though, he would like his Bianchi Piaggio identified AS308215 with 27.2 seat post.
The argument was over the 022 tubing.
Because there is no stickers on both bikes, he says that my tubing is ‘straight gauge’ which means that it isn’t butted.
I did mention that the frame can be weighed to determine if it is butted.
We both agree that its a mid-grade bike but I can’t see 022 as mid grade and not butted.
Currently I have a Carlton that is a 024 and is quite heavy.
Can someone put me out of my misery? Are there two types of Ishawata 022?
Your friend's Bianchi is also a 1983, Japanese manufactured model.

The standard diameter for a seat tube manufactured to imperial standards is 1-1/8", which converts to 28.6mm. If the seat post is 27.2mm, the difference between the two is only 1.4mm. That would mean the seat tube wall thickness is 0.7mm but to fit without interference there is typically 0.1mm clearance (0.2mm diametrically) between the seat tube and post, in which case the wall thickness would be down to 0.6mm.

Straight gauge tubing with 0.6mm wall thickness is extremely thin and impractical for a mass volume road model in terms to strength, stiffness and production cost. Most high grade, straight gauge tubing uses 0.8 to 0.9mm wall thickness. The only two sets that I'm aware of with thinner straight tubing from the early 1980s are Columbus KL (0.5mm) and Columbus PL (0.6mm). The former was the tubeset developed for Eddy Merckx's Hour record bicycle, while the latter was a track set intended for pursuit racing and kilometre TT. Both sets were intended for events with a constant., steady, power output, allowing tubing strength and stiffness to be sacrificed for lighter weight. Of course, thinner the tubes are also more difficult to braze, requiring very costly, highly skilled frame builders and silver solder, so it's not practical for mass volume models.

Columbus, Ishiwata and Reynolds double butted tubesets actually used single butted seat tubes, with the butt being applied to the bottom bracket end, where the stress is higher. The top butt was eliminated on the argument that the seat post itself reinforces the joint,

Weight will tell you little beyond broad categorization. Fittings such as bottom brackets and lugs can contribute to larger weight variations between frames than tubesets. Also, as cost concessions, many manufactured would mix tubing grades. The most popular option was to use lesser grade material in the stays and fork blades.

The most reliable indicator of the tubing on a bicycle (barring the presence of the OEM tubing decal) is the seat post diameter, provided it is the proper size. The basic premise is that the seat tube outer diameter is standard, and therefore larger post diameters mean thinner tubing. Knowing the seat tube and post diameter and applying the standard clearance, one can calculate the tubing's wall thickness and therefore determine probable tubesets.

We know the subject manufacturer preferred Ishiwata during this period and the wall thickness is calculated as 0.6mm. Ishiwata 022 used 0.9/0.6/0.9 mm main tubes but we also know that it used a single butted seat tube. Therefore Ishiwata 022 is the leading candidate.

In the USA, where we have better model documentation, the equivalent model during this era was the Limited. It used a SunTour (Cyclone)/Sugino/Dia-Compe component mix that typically competed directed against Shimano 600EX (Arabesque). The Limited of this era was considered mid-range and spec'd with Ishiwata 022.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-21-21 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-29-21, 11:12 PM
adyoung2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seeking the experts’ opinion (ID of Bianchi Mega Pro ST)...
I have recently come into possession of a unique “project bike”, built up around what I believe to be a late 90s Mega Pro ST frame.
Condition is excellent, and I was told be the individual who sourced the frame that it was a “new old stock” unit. I’m very curious to know more.
the serial number is WA71200671A, and it has most of the usual Mega Pro decals I have come to expect, save for any on the frame to denote the type of tubing using. I’m guessing standard chromoly (or Deda Zero Tre), but I’ve received a conflicted opinion that it could be a different alloy such as 18MCDV6HT (Deda Zero Uno?) tubing. In any case, I’d appreciate your insights.
(Note: as I am a new user with fewer than 10 posts, I cannot share any pictures, but can happily do so if it helps with the identification)

*** Additional information added to help identification (as I cannot yet post pictures as a "newbie"!):
Description of decals:
a. Along top tube (right side, when seated on bike): "Mega-Pro ST" near seat tube, "Bianchi" near head tube
b. Along top tube (left side, when seated on bike): *Bianchi's signature* near seat tube, "Bianchi" near head tube
c. Along down tube (right side, when seated on bike): "Bianchi" right near the bottom bracket shell with a "Mega Pro Advanced Tube Set" sticker above it, then the primary "Bianchi" decal along the majority of the length
d. Along down tube (left side, when seated on bike): "Bianchi" right near the bottom bracket shell with a "Bianchi Reparto Corse" and "Handmade" stickers above it, then the primary "Bianchi" decal along the majority of the length
e. On top face of down tube near joint with head tube: "Campione del Mondo"
f. Along seat tube (right side, when seated on bike): "Bianchi"
g. Along seat tube (left side, when seated on bike): "Bianchi"
h. On front face of seat tube, near joint with bottom bracket shell: "Made in Italy"

What seems to be lacking are any indications of the particular material type used - I know these Mega Pro frames usually have a Zero Uno, Zero Tre, or other type of sticker to denote the tube material type. Any help here to determine the particular steel type would be great. Finally, the paint colour is a dark metallic blue, with all "Bianchi" labelling in classic Celeste.

Last edited by adyoung2; 04-30-21 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-03-21, 06:37 AM
Phlump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently acquired an old steel Bianchi frame with celeste paint and seeking information. Will post pics when have enough posts.

- Japanese stem and seatpost (not sure if original) and has a serial number below the stem of 1C0-4763.

- Edoardo Bianchi sticker on head tube and seat tube.

- Down tube has Bianchi sticker with black text with connected lines to "B" and "i" e.g., -Bianchi-. Also has a black diamond either of the centre of the down tube.

- Down tube also has a silver wrap around stick above and below Edoardo Bianchi sticker. These silver stickers have white, green, red and blue stripes at the top and bottom of each.

- Cable routing along the top of the top tube.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-21, 07:49 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Phlump
Recently acquired an old steel Bianchi frame with celeste paint and seeking information. Will post pics when have enough posts.

- Japanese stem and seatpost (not sure if original) and has a serial number below the stem of 1C0-4763.

- Edoardo Bianchi sticker on head tube and seat tube.

- Down tube has Bianchi sticker with black text with connected lines to "B" and "i" e.g., -Bianchi-. Also has a black diamond either of the centre of the down tube.

- Down tube also has a silver wrap around stick above and below Edoardo Bianchi sticker. These silver stickers have white, green, red and blue stripes at the top and bottom of each.

- Cable routing along the top of the top tube.

Thanks!
Based on the serial number, in conjunction with frame features such as brazed on brake cable tunnels and bottle bosses, it should be a 1981 model. It also appears appears to be an entry level or lower mid-range frame. The seat post diameter should allow us determine the level of tubing and possibly identify the tubeset. However, I cannot name the model, as this often varied from country to country and I don't know the UK models well.

Link to your photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21270387
Old 05-04-21, 09:33 AM
Phlump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on the serial number, in conjunction with frame features such as brazed on brake cable tunnels and bottle bosses, it should be a 1981 model. It also appears appears to be an entry level or lower mid-range frame. The seat post diameter should allow us determine the level of tubing and possibly identify the tubeset. However, I cannot name the model, as this often varied from country to country and I don't know the UK models well.

Link to your photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21270387
Seat post is. 26.1mm
Old 05-04-21, 09:43 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Phlump
Seat post is. 26.1mm
Based on the seat post, it almost certainly made from Bianchi Calibrati, a lightweight hi-tensile steel, that typically uses a 26.2mm post. This tubeset was typically used on the entry level models. I'm not sure what the models were in the UK at this time, though it's possibly one of the Sprint or Rekord 74x variants.
Old 05-06-21, 10:24 PM
brownrider

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi road bike, Cannondale Quick Hybrid, Specialized RockHopper and a beat up beach bike for the sand

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bianchi was purchased in 1979 and the only markings I can find under the crank section "1979" and 8 . D. It has Italian components. campagnolo shift and derailleurs, modolo brakes, Ofmega crankset painted in the Celeste color. I just can't remember what model it is? All the decals are still on it except the one on the crossbar that said the model! any idea what model it would be?
Old 05-07-21, 05:31 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by brownrider
My bianchi was purchased in 1979 and the only markings I can find under the crank section "1979" and 8 . D. It has Italian components. campagnolo shift and derailleurs, modolo brakes, Ofmega crankset painted in the Celeste color. I just can't remember what model it is? All the decals are still on it except the one on the crossbar that said the model! any idea what model it would be?
That's not a 1979 model. You are about a decade off the mark. The serial number indicates that the frame was manufactured in early 1988, so it should be a 1988 model. Characteristics, such as the logo style, two sets of bottle bosses, pump peg and the later style Gipemme dropouts are consistent with 1988 (and 1989). The one outlier is the tubing decal, which appears to be Columbus Cromor. This tubeset was not used on the USA market models until 1989. The bicycle appears to have been modified somewhat over the years, complicating idenrtification. However, the use of a clamp style front derailleur suggests a mid-range model. My leading candidate would be a Campione d'Italia. Photo assist...
Old 05-07-21, 05:50 AM
adyoung2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar , you seem like the resident expert on Bianchi serial numbers and frames. Any thoughts on my earlier enquiry below?
Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by adyoung2
Seeking the experts’ opinion (ID of Bianchi Mega Pro ST)...
I have recently come into possession of a unique “project bike”, built up around what I believe to be a late 90s Mega Pro ST frame.
Condition is excellent, and I was told be the individual who sourced the frame that it was a “new old stock” unit. I’m very curious to know more.
the serial number is WA71200671A, and it has most of the usual Mega Pro decals I have come to expect, save for any on the frame to denote the type of tubing using. I’m guessing standard chromoly (or Deda Zero Tre), but I’ve received a conflicted opinion that it could be a different alloy such as 18MCDV6HT (Deda Zero Uno?) tubing. In any case, I’d appreciate your insights.
(Note: as I am a new user with fewer than 10 posts, I cannot share any pictures, but can happily do so if it helps with the identification)

*** Additional information added to help identification (as I cannot yet post pictures as a "newbie"!):
Description of decals:
a. Along top tube (right side, when seated on bike): "Mega-Pro ST" near seat tube, "Bianchi" near head tube
b. Along top tube (left side, when seated on bike): *Bianchi's signature* near seat tube, "Bianchi" near head tube
c. Along down tube (right side, when seated on bike): "Bianchi" right near the bottom bracket shell with a "Mega Pro Advanced Tube Set" sticker above it, then the primary "Bianchi" decal along the majority of the length
d. Along down tube (left side, when seated on bike): "Bianchi" right near the bottom bracket shell with a "Bianchi Reparto Corse" and "Handmade" stickers above it, then the primary "Bianchi" decal along the majority of the length
e. On top face of down tube near joint with head tube: "Campione del Mondo"
f. Along seat tube (right side, when seated on bike): "Bianchi"
g. Along seat tube (left side, when seated on bike): "Bianchi"
h. On front face of seat tube, near joint with bottom bracket shell: "Made in Italy"

What seems to be lacking are any indications of the particular material type used - I know these Mega Pro frames usually have a Zero Uno, Zero Tre, or other type of sticker to denote the tube material type. Any help here to determine the particular steel type would be great. Finally, the paint colour is a dark metallic blue, with all "Bianchi" labelling in classic Celeste.
Old 05-07-21, 09:28 AM
brownrider

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi road bike, Cannondale Quick Hybrid, Specialized RockHopper and a beat up beach bike for the sand

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa! Thanks! We bought this decades ago from Gooddales Bike shop. We just assumed the 1979 mark was the date of manufacture.

Last edited by brownrider; 05-08-21 at 10:15 PM. Reason: not selling bike
Old 05-09-21, 01:46 PM
OlderNotWiser
Ageing Warrior

Bikes: Bianchi Caurus Proto frame that needs tlc and re-equipping with difficult to source parts that I cannot afford!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Finally managed to upload some more pictures of my, as yet, unidentified Bianchi Caurus frame to my gallery having stripped most of the (rubbish) equipment from it. The light today was terrible so many apologies.
The paintwork is black & pearl coral and looks better in the flesh and I am now warming to it! It will be touched up and made good.
As previously said, the frame number is F.301. The tubing, to my untrained eye, appears to be Columbus Max, there being no helicoidal reinforcement or butting at the top of the seat tube.
The rear brake bridge bears the the legend Bianchi cast in cursive script.
The rear brake cable is routed through the top tube and the rear gear cable, through the chain stay.
One surprise was that the dropouts, whilst heavily chromed, pretty & shiny, were Shimano as opposed to Campag.
Whatever it turns out to be, It will be fitted up with quality equipment (when I can but it will be made usable with decent Campag parts and shown) so that I can use it when illness permits and I can imagine that I am in my teens/early twenties again.

Last edited by OlderNotWiser; 05-09-21 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-10-21, 02:01 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by adyoung2
T-Mar , you seem like the resident expert on Bianchi serial numbers and frames. Any thoughts on my earlier enquiry below?
Any insights are greatly appreciated!
Here's the link to your photo album; https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/538501

My Bianchi knowledge pertains covers primarily 1970s to early 1990s. My understanding of Mega-Pro has always been that it refers to the tube shape(s) rather than tubeset or material. You can get Mega-Pro frames in various materials that include steel, aluminum and titanium. Having said that, yours appears to be steel, which can be easily verified using a magnet. Depending on the year, the steel tubeset used may have varied. It's relatively easy to get an idea of the relative grade of steel via the seat post diameter, in conjunction with the seat tube outer diameter, as these two measurements allow us to calculate the thickness of the steel in the seat tube.

As for the year, I can't say much other it appears to be very late 1990s to early 2000s. Identification is further complicated by your location in Singapore. Bianchi models and graphics often varied from country to country, with the designs/specs being handled by local distributors, in order to cater to local preferences. Hopefully, @Bianchigirll can provide more insight.
Old 05-12-21, 08:49 AM
TRav1594

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey folks! Im new here! I have been riding bikes for years, but not very knowledgable. I have acquired a Bianchi last year and am only doing some research now on it. I believe it was built in Japan, due to the Shimano parts, but I am struggling to find images online of the bike I acquired. It has a unique emerald green colour to it (not the traditional sea-foam green). And the serial number is CS481165. If anyone could help in any way, would appreciate it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.