Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Advice for New Commuters

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Advice for New Commuters

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 02:53 AM
lpite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I'm a new commuter making the switch from subway/bus to cycle. I have two questions.

This is the cycle I'm going to get:

https://www.target.com/Men%E2%80%99s-...e=1&rh=&page=1
Old 03-09-09, 09:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
What are your questions?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-22-09, 06:16 PM
uksoundz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I have a GT Aggressor HT mountain bike, and want to commute to work on it, now I know this isn't an ideal bike but I love off roading on my days off etc and dont fancy buying another bike, anyway I like the GT.
I was wondering is their anything I could do (change tyres etc) to make it more of a commute worthy rig ?
The commute would be mainly on roads and is around 7 miles each way.
Thanks !
Old 03-22-09, 10:42 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by huhenio
take the lane on the construction zones.

Works for me.
I always take the construction lanes. Usually the traffice is going a little slower than usual, and I can pedal hard and keep up a pretty good pace, sometimes around 25mph. Then when the lane widens, I quickly move over to the take the right lane (all of the right lane!).
Old 03-23-09, 02:25 AM
j3ns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lpite
Hello,

I'm a new commuter making the switch from subway/bus to cycle. I have two questions.

This is the cycle I'm going to get:

https://www.target.com/Men%E2%80%99s-...e=1&rh=&page=1
Congratulations with your new commuting style, and welcome to the forums.
2015 Canyon Spectral 7.0 EX
Old 03-23-09, 02:58 AM
j3ns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uksoundz
Hi, I have a GT Aggressor HT mountain bike, and want to commute to work on it, now I know this isn't an ideal bike but I love off roading on my days off etc and dont fancy buying another bike, anyway I like the GT.
I was wondering is their anything I could do (change tyres etc) to make it more of a commute worthy rig ?
The commute would be mainly on roads and is around 7 miles each way.
Thanks !
You will be fine on your bike, many of us here commute daily on MTB's.
I am in the same boat as you, I only have one bike (fully rigid MTB) and use it for daily commuting and some off-roading (and single tracks etc.). Here are some suggestions based on my experience:

I would recommend buying slicks to commute on. How wide tyres depends on the streets you will be riding and how harsh ride you are willing to take. I ride a rigid MTB with 1.95" slicks (during summer time i.e.).
Buy some fenders! Consider installing full fenders for commuting. This does depend on location a little bit (yearly downpour) but I think Yorkshire is a relatively wet place. Full fenders will not only keep you dry (or somewhat drier) but will also keep your drive-train cleaner and thus lower your need for maintenance.
You do have a suspension fork. It is not ideal for commuting but it will work fine and you will probably not be bothered by it at all, but a rigid fork would be a better choice for commuting. I did notice your post on the mechanics forum (about your fork being seized). If it turns out that it can not be saved you should consider replacing it with a rigid fork or with a suspension fork with a lock-out feature (of course since your current fork is seized you could just redefine it as a rigid fork )

I change my tires and remove my full fenders when I go mountain biking. It takes me about 30 minutes. This can be a pain in the rear, but I rather want my bike to be fit for commuting and invest these 30 minutes in the change than commute on knobby tires or without full fenders.

p.s. Welcome to the forums
Old 03-23-09, 07:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Take a look at the other threads in the commuting section. We have threads on what gear you like or need to have. We also have threads on how to handle traffic.

I also recommend a book called Effective Cycling by John Forester. And I might get flamed for suggesting it, because it's a bit controversial. But I like it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-23-09, 09:12 AM
uksoundz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I will have a good read through the forums, i'm glad I found this place... Very informative!
Old 03-24-09, 11:58 AM
mikedirectory2
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is really helpful info for beginners. Thanks!

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 04-02-09 at 06:58 PM. Reason: advertsing
Old 03-24-09, 01:21 PM
uksoundz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this has already been asked before please post the link and sorry for being a nusance.

Ive been frantically reading these forums and am now considering a different bike (only considering, mind) I fancy a traditional commuter but want one thats good all round, as I do a little off roading, nothing major but a few cycle paths and a little woodland. But since I will also use it for road commuting I want to know what my options would be.
I potentially have £350 to £500 thats roughly max $700 (I'm in the UK)

Since I'm a n00b please don't be offended by my complete lack of knowledge, but since I was a kid I've always fancied a drop handlebar road bike, my parents never got me one and I still fancy one, however I need something that will allow for the off road side of things. Any ideas ?

Thanks everyone...
Old 03-24-09, 01:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Various bike types are optimized for various activities, but you can use any bike for anything. So if you really want/need a road bike, yes, you will be able to go off road on it. I go off road on my road bikes. I ride very narrow tires at high pressure. It's fine.

How old are you? The older you get, the less you'll like drop handlebars. I'm 48 years old and am about to give up on them. It's been a fun 34 years of riding them.

Old 03-24-09, 01:39 PM
uksoundz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks noglider, I'm only 25 so should be ok, any particular bikes to look out for that are especially good all round ?
Old 03-24-09, 02:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I haven't bought a new road bike in 30 years. I buy used frames and build them into bikes. And I buy used bikes. I was in the business from 1978 through 1984, and I'm out of touch with the latest merchandise. Also, since you're far away, you have different bikes available than we have here in the US. Visit a couple of local bike shops (which in the online cycling community we call LBS) and see what they offer. You'll get an idea. Also, a cycling magazine may have a buyer's guide, though take their advice with a grain of salt.

Old 03-25-09, 08:15 AM
Dafne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter bike

Hello everybody!!

I am a brand new rider who, after having a bad experience with a second-hand bike, has decided to give it another try and get a new bike.

My budget is the following: £ 250/300

Use: I basically need the bike to commute, so I'll be using it on roads. However, there are quite a few hills in and around Brighton, for this reason I ended up by considering an Hybrid bike.

Basically I am pondering pros and cons of the following bikes:

- Specialized Sirrus 09
- Specialized Centrum Elite 08

Any piece of advice is more than welcome!!
So, please feel free to let me know which one you would get and why or suggest other options, if you have any.

Thanks a lot! Cheers!

Riccardo
Old 03-26-09, 01:04 PM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this has already been asked before please post the link and sorry for being a nusance.

Ive been frantically reading these forums and am now considering a different bike (only considering, mind) I fancy a traditional commuter but want one thats good all round, as I do a little off roading, nothing major but a few cycle paths and a little woodland. But since I will also use it for road commuting I want to know what my options would be.
I potentially have £350 to £500 thats roughly max $700 (I'm in the UK)

Since I'm a n00b please don't be offended by my complete lack of knowledge, but since I was a kid I've always fancied a drop handlebar road bike, my parents never got me one and I still fancy one, however I need something that will allow for the off road side of things. Any ideas ?

Thanks everyone...
I am just like you in that we want the same thing from one bike. I built up a Surley LHT to do it all, camping, shopping, commuting and I love small trails/paths in the woods! I use wide drop bars, as wide as my shoulders for controle and leverage on dirt trails. I have sti sifters so I added top levers for braking from the top of the bars. I use Panaracer Pasela 700c by 32 Tourgard tires. They are a road, touring tire that like the dirt and only cost $20.00 or so. A darn good tire that will last and last for cheep! I can get out of the woods and keep up with traffic in town on the same bike. O-yea, I also orderd my frame with a we bit smaller stand over.
Old 03-26-09, 02:53 PM
uksoundz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After visiting the LBS today I've put a deposit on the trek 7.1 fx 09, I know it's not top of the range but I liked the feel as I tested it. Please tell me, is it a good choice, do you think it will serve me well?
Old 03-27-09, 02:08 AM
j3ns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After visiting the LBS today I've put a deposit on the trek 7.1 fx 09, I know it's not top of the range but I liked the feel as I tested it. Please tell me, is it a good choice, do you think it will serve me well?
Hey Paul, congratulations on the new bike
I bet you can't wait to get it.
I think it is a fine choice if it is the correct size and you like the feel. But it doesn't have the drops you have been dreaming of
Will you keep the GT also?
Old 03-27-09, 08:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Paul, top of the range is not usually the best value. I like middle of the range bikes best, most of the time. I think you got a very good value. Enjoy it, and let us know how it works out. Let us know your plans, too, and feel free to pose more questions.

What kind of tires does the bike have?

Be sure to keep the tires hard at all times for maximum safety and fun.

Old 03-27-09, 12:38 PM
uksoundz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi and thanks for the replies, I will keep the GT and do that up as a project now, might take me a couple of years but i'll get there in the end.
It's a pity about the drops but I couldn't find any hybrids with drops that were within my budget, can drops be fitted to my new bike or would it not work/ too much hassle ?
Tires are 'Bontrager Select Invert' they appeared half slick. Fraid I don't know too much about tires.
Old 03-27-09, 05:17 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any advice for getting re-motivated to ride? I haven't ridden in somewhere around a month and it has been very hard to even get to the point of wanting to ride...it sucks because somewhere inside I have a little voice saying that it wants to go, but the other part of me says that I'd rather walk...what to do, what to do?
Old 03-27-09, 05:20 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87
Anyone have any advice for getting re-motivated to ride? I haven't ridden in somewhere around a month and it has been very hard to even get to the point of wanting to ride...it sucks because somewhere inside I have a little voice saying that it wants to go, but the other part of me says that I'd rather walk...what to do, what to do?
How far have you ridden?

Walking is fun.

4400 miles for me.
Going again in the morning.

Old 03-27-09, 09:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Paul, yes you can put drop bars on it.

Old 03-30-09, 03:03 AM
eleanor_rigby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am cycling to work tomorrow for the first time.

I am terrified :-(
Old 03-30-09, 07:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

What's the scary part? The unknown? Have you taken a ride this long before?

Let us know how it goes. A lot easier than you expect, I'll bet.

Old 03-30-09, 07:18 AM
eleanor_rigby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The scary part is the traffic (buses in particular have a habit of not looking before pulling out), 4 miles of cycling is making me worried I am not fit enough and will collapse half way and have to get a taxi. I used to cycle all the time when I was young, now I'm old(er) and not as fearless.

Oh god, I've just scared myself even more!

I will let you know how it goes. If you don't hear from me, I didn't make it and got hit by a bus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.