Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a Raleigh Olympian Mixte for sale?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-15-15, 02:04 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Bikes: Several 3-speed Raleighs, several old road bikes, several old mountain bikes, all slightly or heavily modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Since I am unable to post to the Want To Buy forum, I figured I'd post here. Not sure if it's the right place. Anyway, I'd been making plans to buy a particular '84 Raleigh Olympian mixte for $60, started buying parts to modify it, and even made plans to return one of my current commuters ('79 Raleigh Superbe, SA 5-speed igh/drum brakes) to factory setup and sell it when the current setup hit 1000 miles and 1 year of ownership in a couple months. I had arranged to pick up the bike within a few days and the seller bailed on me.

If anybody has a dark red ('83-85 color?) Raleigh Olympian 21" mixte frame they're willing to part with, please let me know! I'd like to follow through with my plans if possible. I do not need original wheels, handlebars, pedals, or saddle if you want to part out for more cash but I wouldn't mind purchasing a whole bike. I am located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Wouldn't mind paying a bit of shipping but I suppose we could discuss that. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-15, 02:23 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
A WTB request requires a $12 membership purchase, well worth not having any advertising!

The Olympian seller may have gotten a better offer. I sold a fully refurbished Raleigh Marathon Mixte, virtually the same bike a year ago for $240 to a UnivMich grad fellow. When she finished her fellowship, I resold it for her for $200.

There is nothing remarkable about Raleigh Olympians IMHO, why that particular bike.
Old 11-15-15, 02:37 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Bikes: Several 3-speed Raleighs, several old road bikes, several old mountain bikes, all slightly or heavily modified

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
A WTB request requires a $12 membership purchase, well worth not having any advertising!

The Olympian seller may have gotten a better offer. I sold a fully refurbished Raleigh Marathon Mixte, virtually the same bike a year ago for $240 to a UnivMich grad fellow. When she finished her fellowship, I resold it for her for $200.

There is nothing remarkable about Raleigh Olympians IMHO, why that particular bike.
Ah, it is probable that he got a better offer. I had a few frames in mind for the mixte project but frankly I settled on the olympian for mostly silly reasons. Beside the fact that there isn't anything remarkable about it, i.e. not extremely precious or sought after by thieves, yet I wanted a lighter frame because I'm used to riding ye olde Raleigh Sports which as we know weigh well over 40 pounds all decked out. I liked the color of the Olympian and in my personal experience, no budget re-paint will ever match the strength of a factory finish. I even stumbled upon a dark red/purplish chain guard from a '67 Sprite 5-speed long before I thought of the Olympian and since I'm giving the new bike a 3-speed hub and will be riding it in everyday clothing, I would have appreciated the matching Raleigh chain guard. I was initially looking for a bright red frame but things sort of just fell in place. I suppose there are other frames that can be had for less but will give similar performance.

I suppose I am still in the market for any red, 21" chromoly, 531, or otherwise not-too-pricey, not-entirely-hi-ten mixte frame, haha.
Old 11-15-15, 02:45 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
A quick search for "Motobecane red mixte" (not that you mentioned Motobecanes, but they were very pretty bikes, too) pulled up one on the Minneapolis Craigslist (posted one day ago). Take a look; you may be able to work something out with the seller.

But you said that you want a non-high-tensile-steel bike (even though the Olympian was always high-tensile steel, if I remember correctly from my days working for a Raleigh dealer). In that case, look for Motobecane Grand Touring and Grand Jubile (not "Jubilee") mixtes.

Last edited by Trakhak; 11-15-15 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-15-15, 03:15 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
A quick search for "Motobecane red mixte" (not that you mentioned Motobecanes, but they were very pretty bikes, too) pulled up one on the Minneapolis Craigslist (posted one day ago). Take a look; you may be able to work something out with the seller.

But you said that you want a non-high-tensile-steel bike (even though the Olympian was always high-tensile steel, if I remember correctly from my days working for a Raleigh dealer). In that case, look for Motobecane Grand Touring and Grand Jubile (not "Jubilee") mixtes.
Hmm, that is beautiful indeed. The color I as looking for before I stumbled on the Olympian, tbh. The motobecanes you mentioned were on the list of frames I was considering. Thanks for the link! I might wait to see if I find anything a little cheaper and closer. In the end, I'd rather save money than force to have this project finished "on time." Still considering, though. Also, I thought the Olympian was 555SL Chromoly mains with high tenile stays? I sold a Marathon earlier this year which was a step or two below the Olympian and had a single tube 502 Chromoly (which tube it was, i don't know ) I have heard people say the Olympian is hi-ten. and I have heard and read that it has some chromoly in it. Or maybe the mixte has more hi ten than the diamond frame. I don't know.

if it comes down to it, I don't have anything against hi-ten. All of my bikes at the moment happen to be hi-ten
Old 03-13-16, 01:31 AM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just wanted to update you all. Thank you all for your help and thank you @oddjob2 for coming to the rescue. Your former Lotus Excelle is about to take on new life. 1966 Sturmey Archer AW hub, 40/44t Sugino crankset. The reason why I didn't put the two cogs in the rear instead was because they chainline on the inner sprocket would have been atrocious. It's almost done and the test ride I did a few weeks ago yielded promising results.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160313_032606.jpg (93.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-13-16, 06:19 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Glad it worked out for you in the end. Kudos for the use of a 3 speed hub on there.
Old 03-13-16, 08:24 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
I was going to recommend the ISO/Trade thread and don't mention cash, negotiate in PM's.
Oddjob2 came through, as he often does. The Lotus is a well-made frame.