Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Assos Tubular Rims & Nipples?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 07:31 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts

Somewhere in the hazy past I acquired a wheelset with the narrow/sleek Assos tubular rims, with Dura-Ace freewheel hubs. They use special alloy nipples, and two of the nipples on the rear wheel are cracked. I've googled far and wide about the nipples, but couldn't find any definitive info re:

1. Anybody holding? Know of a source? There were some UK forum posts from 2010 where a guy in Scotland said he had a bag full, I'm hoping maybe somebody has more current info/sourcing.
2. Are regular nipples usable on these rims? I saw one post from somewhere/somebody saying yes, again from like 10yrs ago, but no follow-ups or confirmations.

Anybody have any knowledge/leads?

These were supposedly made in two widths, 16mm and 18mm. Mine are the wider 18mm.

I know photos or it didn't happen, but it looks like these were stored in a barn at some point. They are dirty and fugly, I don't have the energy/patience to clean them tonight, and I don't photograph fugly unless I'm shooting a selfie.

Last edited by pcb; 02-05-21 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-05-21, 08:14 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
You noted that they are "special" alloy nipples. Do they actually have a unique, proprietary shape that will keep you from replacing them with nipples from other manufacturers?
I suspect that the nipples and spokes might have also been provided by DT, being thst they are from Switzerland too. Maybe you might check with them.
I always avoided the temptation of using aluminum alloy nipples on my wheelsets as they are not as reliable as brass nipplds, and tend to corrode, gall and seize easily at the threads.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 02-05-21, 09:36 PM
pcb 

All I know is that almost every mention of the Assos rims includes a phrase saying they use/require "special alloy nipples." The bottom part outside the rim, where the spoke key would grab it, looks normal. I have a vague recollection seeing a picture of one many years back, and the upper part of the nipple was maybe longer and wider in diameter than a standard nipple. But that's pretty hazy...

Here's a link to an ebay listing for a nipple-less pair being sold by pb*bikes. There's one photo giving a decent view of the spoke holes. The top of the Assos nipple sits just below the level of the rim, it's not recessed with the head resting in the lower surface of the rim. I think the upper part of the nipple was almost as wide as the top opening, and that wide shaft extends downward and rests against the inner surface, without needing a washer. The nipple's got to be 15-17mm long.

I don't think the spoke/nipple threads are proprietary. The spokes in my wheelset are DT, but I don't think Assos ever sold these as complete wheels. I think they were sold as rim/nipple sets.

And I'm with you on alloy nipples, I'm not much of a fan.
Old 02-05-21, 09:38 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I dug around in my stash, and found a front tubular wheel with an Assos rim and the matching nipples. These wheels are super light, and it is not just due to the use of alloy nipples. The nipples extend flush to the inner rim surface, where you apply the glue. And the spokes extend to the end of the nipples, again where you apply the glue. Because of this unique design, the nipples are in compression, and I have no concern about their strength or longevity. The spoke holes in the rim all seem standard, which means that you should be able to use regular nipples.

However, I would bet that these rims are designed for use with the special stock nipples, which appear to spread forces on the inside of the rim - over a larger area than would a standard nipple.

I would not use these rims on a rear wheel - too light. Even on the front, if using standard nipples, I would be tempted to use nipple washers if you are more than lightweight, or are a strong rider.

Would I buy these without the special nipples? Nope, but I have many many other tubular rim options.
Old 02-06-21, 05:04 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,076 Posts
I have Assos nipples, see here, are these the ones you need? They're for sale, details in the Flickr link. Sorry not cheap, not in a hurry to sell them.

Note how the light alloy nipple has a steel ring that bears against the rim. I don't know why they would want that -- because engineering? The rings are a slip fit, held in place when the wheel is built.

I only have one style, one length. Can measure if someone wants to know the length or diameter, I don't remember. I have some used ones and some unused (NOS).

Mark B in Seattle

Last edited by bulgie; 02-06-21 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-06-21, 10:50 AM
pcb 

Yay, Bulgie For The Win!!!

Do you know if the threads are standard? The spokes look bog-standard, from the head up to where they enter the nipple. Maybe the threads need to be normal, since they reach all the way up to the top of those long nipples.

So my first challenge is how to remove the cracked nipples.

One cracked nipple has half of the wrench flat intact, the other is cracked away completely. You didn't show the nipple tops, but they do have a very shallow screwdriver-tip seat. So, use the very shallow alloy screwdriver slot. But one spoke end protrudes into the slot, so I'd have to file a notch into a screwdriver tip for that one. And if the threads are seized, and nothing budges....

Then I guess I cut the spokes. I figure as long as the threads are standard, it shouldn't be hard replacing the spokes. Semi-worst case scenario would be having to get the replacement spokes custom threaded, if the threaded section is abnormally long. Worst-worst case would be the threads are different. But I've never seen anybody mention anything about the spokes, and I did see one post saying normal nipples would work, which implies the threads are normal.

And why not just use normal nipples, if they work, you may ask? First of all, not the same as original, and even very, very different than the original. And originals are still available, it seems. Secondly, I'm not sure if using a standard nipple, with a nipple washer, is going to stress the spoke hole more than the longer nipple does.

So Mark, and/or anybody with a workable understanding of engineering, does the Assos nipple design, in the Assos rim, provide any more strength or durability than a standard nipple/washer would? Does having that additional tower of aluminum braced by the upper wall of the spoke hole, do anything for strength/durability for rim overall? Seems to me like it might provide some extra bracing, like having a full ferrule/seat? If not, why bother? I can understand engineers/designers wanting to show off, but I'd at least half-expect some kind rational reasoning behind it.

Ah, sweet mysteries of life!
Old 02-06-21, 11:01 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@pcb - I really would have to see the rim configuration where the nipple mates to hazard an opinion. The only concern I would have, based on the nipple picture bulgie provided, is the counter sink portion. Is there a unique surface on the rim to match? Does the upper part of the nipple rotate independently from the count sink portion?
Old 02-06-21, 12:31 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
The only Assos product I knew of for a long time was a chamois creme they make, or at least sell under their brand name. A friend of mine used to swear that it was the greatest stuff ever. I never used it, but admired the name, which I assumed was sort of a play on the term "SOS," as a distress or emergency signal. "Ass-O-S," get it? It's the stuff you reach for when you're having a butt-chafing emergency. I was really disappointed when I found out that the company also makes other products, and the name has nothing to do with asses.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 02-06-21 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-06-21, 06:26 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by jonwvara
The only Assos product I knew of for a long time was a chamois creme they make, or at least sell under their brand name. A friend of mine used to swear that it was the greatest stuff ever. I never used it, but admired the name, which I assumed was sort of a play on the term "SOS," as a distress or emergency signal. "Ass-O-S," get it? It's the stuff you reach for when you're having a butt-chafing emergency. I was really disappointed when I found out that the company also makes other products, and the name has nothing to do with asses.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Assos cranksets and their super weight weenie pedals are two other items that are very sought after by C&V collectors.
Compared to their also Swiss competitor's EDCO's components, they are much harder to find and much more expensive.
Old 02-06-21, 06:39 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Sorry to disappoint you, but Assos cranksets and their super weight weenie pedals are two other items that are very sought after by C&V collectors.
Compared to their also Swiss competitor's EDCO's components, they are much harder to find and much more expensive.
Is the chamois creme also super lightweight?

--Ogden Nash
Old 02-06-21, 08:18 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by jonwvara
Is the chamois creme also super lightweight?
You never know,.....Maybe whipped by Assos to introduce lightening bubbles??
Old 02-07-21, 04:30 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,076 Posts
Some of their clothing was REALLY light weight.

Old 02-07-21, 06:44 AM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by bulgie
Some of their clothing was REALLY light weight.

I knew that asses entered into it somehow.

--Ogden Nash
Old 02-07-21, 06:53 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Saddle caliper.