Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saved From The Trash Collection, Is This Frame of 1950s Era??

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-11-21, 09:26 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts

A friend of mine has just saved this bike after seeing it out for rubbish pick up!

Frame says “Henk Michels” but haven’t found anything to expand this brand, has some pretty impressive lug work with distinctive “Arrowheads” off the headset and equally impressive seatstay and BB lugs.

Interesting features are the curved brake bridge (similar to AS Gillot frames of the 50s), oil port on the BB, underslung cable eyelets on the top tube, double fork crown, Simplex dropouts and a Serial Number 32800 with a V above the number.

Groupset on the whole is non distinct apart from the Mafac centre pulls, Alatet headset and a Brooks saddle.
Can anyone offer any leads??
Thanks.

Likes For MarkinOz:
Old 04-12-21, 12:56 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
Thank your friend for " saving" this bike !!

It does need " some" work. but I think it will be fine.

Before any work starts... make sure the SEAT POST can be removed !!!!!

I would spray lubricant / pb blaster or similar and let sit for a few minutes to start

Some Evaporust and some polish and should clean up nicely

Cannot offer any info as I have never heard of this brand.
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 04-12-21, 01:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Parts are a poor way to date a bike since they can be swapped out but those Mafacs look pretty old.

These look like the early ones from the 50s:

VeloBase.com - Component: MAFAC Racer (first version with oil holes; lettered DURAL FORGE MAFAC)

The curved brake bridge is a nice touch but I don't think that helps you date the bike. I have a '71 Witcomb with the same treatment.

Is this bike your size? If so, this would be a fun restoration. If not, someone will enjoy getting this back on the road.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-12-21 at 01:40 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-12-21, 01:55 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
I mean, if you were to date by anything, I'd date it by the older Simplex dropouts. I trust @juvela more than anyone to provide dates on lugs and frame accoutrements.

The name isn't ringing bells for me. I agree, the lugs have nice touches, not quite to Hetchins level, but a couple nice details.

I wouldn't worry about the seat post being stuck. It appears the seat post is steel, as is the frame. Steel on steel doesn't stick together as bad, but YMMV.

Can you wipe away some of the crud on the bottom bracket cups and see if there's any threading info stamped into the sides? And how wide is the bottom bracket shell, not including the lip of the cups? Any info on the stem or seat post diameter?

Old 04-12-21, 02:47 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
According to extant catalogues, the matched set 881/881B Tour de France rear dropouts debuted circa 1962, the same time as with the Prestige derailleurs. Prior to that, the TdF dropout set used was an 880/881 combination with the drive side dropout having an integral hanger. The switch from 880/881 to 880/880B also saw the name on the dropouts changed from LJ SIMPLEX to JUY SIMPLEX. These dropouts were discontinued circa 1978, so they had a long production run. However, given the other frame attributes, I'd place this in the 1960s end of the time frame.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-12-21, 03:53 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
Henk is a Dutch/Belgian name. Perhaps @non-fixie can help?
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-12-21, 04:25 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Nice save!

Other than that I have nothing to offer, I'm afraid. Henk Michels is a Dutch name, but I wouldn't be surprised if this particular Henk Michels emigrated to Australia in the 1950's and started a bike shop there.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-12-21, 06:40 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice save!

Other than that I have nothing to offer, I'm afraid. Henk Michels is a Dutch name, but I wouldn't be surprised if this particular Henk Michels emigrated to Australia in the 1950's and started a bike shop there.
Great thinking non-fixie ....and you’re absolutely correct!! Received some info from the Aussie Forum contributors pointing this frame as a Speedwell/Speedlight from the serial number. Along with the stirling work from T-Mar with regards to the lugs and dating them, and francophile dating the Mafac brakes a few things have fallen into place.

Research of the name Henk Michels turned up a Dutch rider HW Michels who competed in a 120mile race between Sydney and Goulburn in 1955. He then was found as having set up a Cycle shop in Sydney in 1963 but this seems to have closed in the late 60’s, early 70s.

Speedwell bikes in Australia made high end frames using Simplex lugs and also produced unmarked frames that could then be decaled with riders names. Trying to find out if this bike was Henk Michels own bike or whether he produced a bike under his own name.

More to follow and research on this find but I’ll keep the thread posted....
Likes For MarkinOz:
Old 04-12-21, 07:51 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
Please ignore; I misunderstood T-Mar's post above and got things wrong.
While it pains me to contradict T-Mar, and with the greatest respect, I don't think that the 880 dropout debuted in 1962. There's a catalog that's labeled as 1953 on Velo-Pages.com:
https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?...geViewsIndex=1
It includes both the 880 ("Tour de France") and 934 ("Competition"), and several "early" derailleurs, but not the Simplex Prestige. Unfortunately the catalog is not explicitly dated, though the "famous riders" page 22 includes only TdF winners from the '40s and very early '50s, and Coppi was dead by 1960. I'm only pointing this out to offer the OP an opinion that the subject bike may be from the '50s after all. I have two British frames that I believe to date from the 1950s that have the 880/881 dropouts (though I also have a French Jeunet from the '70s that does too -- they had a long run).

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 04-13-21 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 04-13-21, 09:24 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Nice bit of sleuthing there!

This must be Henk's shop, on the ground floor of the Imperial Hotel. It's on the right in this 1964 picture:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-13-21, 10:21 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
While it pains me to contradict T-Mar, and with the greatest respect, I don't think that the 880 dropout debuted in 1962. There's a catalog that's labeled as 1953 on Velo-Pages.com:
https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?...geViewsIndex=1
My circa 1962 reference was to the 881/881B rear dropout set, not the 880/881 set, which did exist earlier. The 881/881B set eliminated the integral derailleur mount. The earliest cataloguing of the 881/881B that I've seen is October 1962 (attached). It's not listed in any earlier literature that I've seen, including the 1960 catalog. Also note the change to JUY SIMPLEX lettering on the dropout, as opposed to LJ Simplex. The lettering and absence of the hanger matches the OP's bicycle and the circa 1962 date fits nicely with the Michels' having set up a bicycle shop in 1963.
Old 04-13-21, 10:33 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Another bit of trivia: Henk Michels arrived in Fremantle in July 1952 with his family on the MV Fairsea (formerly HMS Charger):

The same ship which would, six years later, bring a certain Gibb family to Australia:

I really should be doing other things.

Last edited by non-fixie; 04-13-21 at 10:35 AM. Reason: politics
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-13-21, 12:34 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Nice fork crown, the image of the rear drive side dropout is not that detailed... the bike has had a long life of use, could an integral hanger been cut off?
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-13-21, 06:37 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
My circa 1962 reference was to the 881/881B rear dropout set, not the 880/881 set, which did exist earlier. The 881/881B set eliminated the integral derailleur mount. The earliest cataloguing of the 881/881B that I've seen is October 1962 (attached). It's not listed in any earlier literature that I've seen, including the 1960 catalog. Also note the change to JUY SIMPLEX lettering on the dropout, as opposed to LJ Simplex. The lettering and absence of the hanger matches the OP's bicycle and the circa 1962 date fits nicely with the Michels' having set up a bicycle shop in 1963.
I stand corrected, and guess I need to revise my dating of the frames I thought were from the '50s. My apologies, T-Mar.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 04-14-21, 05:30 AM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Another bit of trivia: Henk Michels arrived in Fremantle in July 1952 with his family on the MV Fairsea (formerly HMS Charger):

The same ship which would, six years later, bring a certain Gibb family to Australia:

I really should be doing other things.
Well we’re certainly glad you did some research non-fixie !! We also found the the shop under the pub in Paddington, but the immigration photos and info is great. I have a Dutch friend who is quite active with the Dutch community in Sydney so we’re going to see if we can find any relatives of Henk still residing here.
Old 04-14-21, 05:36 AM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by repechage
Nice fork crown, the image of the rear drive side dropout is not that detailed... the bike has had a long life of use, could an integral hanger been cut off?
Well spotted repechage you’re spot on. I received these photos and info from my mate today.

Pulley guide for rear derailleur cable has been filed off. As has the integrated derailleur hanger.
Old 04-14-21, 05:56 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I stand corrected, and guess I need to revise my dating of the frames I thought were from the '50s. My apologies, T-Mar.
No problem (and no need to apologize). The numbering is very similar and easy to get confused. When I originally typed up my post, I had to go back to my reference material to make sure that I had gotten it correct.

Edit:You'd think that dropouts sans hanger would be older, but that the case with Simplex based on the extant literature.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-14-21 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added last sentence
Old 04-14-21, 06:12 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by repechage
The hanger could have been removed but the 1962 literature in which the 881/881B hangerless dropouts first appear, is also the first time that JUY SIMPLEX is shown on the dropouts. So, even if the hanger has been removed, the lettering would appear to be a dating tool. It should be very easy to tell is the hanger has been removed, by having the OP's friend examine the bottom on the drive side, rear dropout.

Also, while it could be a coincidence, there's a good probability that the lead '3' in the S/N is the year indicator. That was a very common practice and, if so, would indicate 1963 or 1973 manufacture, with 1963 seeming more appropriate.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-14-21, 01:28 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by MarkinOz
(...) I have a Dutch friend who is quite active with the Dutch community in Sydney so we’re going to see if we can find any relatives of Henk still residing here.
Cool! I have traced a few of my locally-made bikes back to their originators, and - if you're a bike romantic like me - nothing beats talking to the people who were responsible for the bike's existence.

In some cases the shops still existed, and twice I got to meet the owners and their spouses in those shops, both of which (the spouses) were also very active in running the shops. And was audacious enough to ask for a picture.

Likes For non-fixie: