Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Name all the “Death” parts….

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Name all the “Death” parts….

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 09:04 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,382 Times in 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
What might suicide shifters be?
I'm not sure there is a specific definition. My impression is that it refers to the front derailleurs that are actuated by levers attached directly to the derailleur.
An example is found on this 1954 Tebag....

There are other derailleurs that have a different mechanism that requires rotating a shaft... but both require the user to reach down there and move the lever while pedaling.
It's easier than messing around with the Campagnolo Cambio Corsa, but certainly not as easy as downtube shifters.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-06-23, 09:50 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
What might suicide shifters be?
I have always called the brake levers popular in the 70s with the levers you can reach from the bar suicide levers

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-06-23, 01:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Were these prone to breaking? Genuine question, I wasn't aware.

The Retrogrouch: Suicide Components: Death By Bicycle
As that essay speculates, over time hyperbole was taken as fact and repeated, often applied incorrectly to the wrong components.

Recently I'm seeing younger riders refer to ordinary downtube shifters as "suicide shifters." They heard or read the term somewhere and assumed it referred to any shifting mechanism that involves taking a hand off the handlebar and/or brake/hood.
Old 10-06-23, 03:42 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Stronglight 93 crank arms. I just threw them out. The non drive side had multiple hairline cracks and the drive side had a single crack. It would have been the death of certain body parts had I been pedaling while out of my saddle and they broke. I did save the chainrings though.

Old 10-06-23, 04:10 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
What scares me is how he looked when he was 52.
Originally Posted by Hondo6
He didn't look a whole lot better 2 years earlier, at 50:

Jay Blakesburg Photography/Garcia, Dec 16 1992
Unfortunately, Jerry did not fully appreciate that "living on reds, Vitamin C and cocaine" was a cautionary tale, not a life-style recommendation.

A report that may be apocryphal but is utterly believable: He was once found in a car near the Panhandle in SF in a diabetic coma; it turned out that he had been living the previous few weeks on speedballs and Haagen-Dazs. Given his (confirmed) consumption habits, the remarkable thing is not that he died so young, but rather that he lived so long.
Old 10-06-23, 04:43 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I have always called the brake levers popular in the 70s with the levers you can reach from the bar suicide levers

I’ve never understood why they are referred to as “Turkey Levers??”

these were a compromise with the CSPC.
grrrr
Old 10-06-23, 06:19 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I’ve never understood why they are referred to as “Turkey Levers??”

these were a compromise with the CSPC.
grrrr
In my neck of the woods, they were "turkey wings," "turkey" being a general term of derision for something/someone deemed to be dumb.

A quick interwebs check confirmed what I thought - Schwinn had them on Varsinentals and Super Sports not later than 1970 and the CPSC did not come into existence until 1972. I've even seen "turkey wings" on at least one early 1970s Paramount (yes, as OEM). These are all verifiable, take-it-to-the bank facts.

Now onto guesswork. It is possible that Schwinn felt the winds of what would become CPSC foolishness, but my guess is that Schwinn started using dual-position brake levers as part of the effort to get people who were not comfortable with the idea of drop bars to try the "lightweight" ten-speeds. "See, you can brake from up top, just like you do on a regular bike." Again, that part is a guess, but I can sure see a bunch of middle-America Schwinn dealers using that as a pitch line. And don't forget the Euro types had been using guidonet (sp?) brake levers for some time. They never caught on here, but the Schwinn folks were in tough with what was going on across the pond- hence the use of Huret Alvit derailluers and Weinmann brakes well into the 70s. Perhaps the guidonets were the inspiration for the dual-position (un)safety levers. I leave it to someone who actually knows about this stuff to confirm, correct or point and laugh at this.
Old 10-06-23, 06:55 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Heed caution with the vintage Cinelli SL saddle with forged aluminum wishbone rail. The oval shape rails are not a good fit to the conventional seat post cradle clamp. They require a proper depth and width channel in the clamp. Campagnolo offered a specific clamp. Others, as well. If not, they can and will mar leading to some fractured.

Regardless are rare but not really that light in weight. Its been some time though recall comparing to a Brooks Swift with titanium rail, they were near identical in weight.
Old 10-08-23, 12:32 AM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Heed caution with the vintage Cinelli SL saddle with forged aluminum wishbone rail. The oval shape rails are not a good fit to the conventional seat post cradle clamp. They require a proper depth and width channel in the clamp. Campagnolo offered a specific clamp. Others, as well. If not, they can and will mar leading to some fractured.

Regardless are rare but not really that light in weight. Its been some time though recall comparing to a Brooks Swift with titanium rail, they were near identical in weight.
I have to disagree with you.

20160302_184351 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

20160302_184622 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

20160614_185711 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

Titanium Brooks B15, Campagnolo Nuovo Superleggero seatpost weighs 304gr. saddle weighs 345gr.

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 10-08-23 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-08-23, 04:00 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Spinergy Rev-x wheels surely have a reputation. Not necessarily vintage but they are considered a classic now.

Old 10-08-23, 04:39 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
The Spinergy wheels reminded me of a steel, 3-arm, 46T, single crank that I bought for cheap about five years ago. While it said Universel (French spelling), it did not indicate that it was a genuine Duprat, so no aspersion on them. I was riding moderately at about 19-20 mph, and one third of the chainring folded in a dramatic fashion. I could not pedal. This was among the first-few rides I had done with it. I have not had this happen to any other crank, but I shy away from 3-arm that are not supported by a second chain-ring.
Old 10-08-23, 05:02 PM
chain_whipped

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I have to disagree with you.

20160302_184351 by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike
Nice one and looks brand new. Anyways, I should've been more specific. The same saddle though with the difference having a leather covering, such as the one I had weighed around 355gm..
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 10-08-23, 06:29 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3206 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,165 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
In my neck of the woods, they were "turkey wings," "turkey" being a general term of derision for something/someone deemed to be dumb.

A quick interwebs check confirmed what I thought - Schwinn had them on Varsinentals and Super Sports not later than 1970 and the CPSC did not come into existence until 1972. I've even seen "turkey wings" on at least one early 1970s Paramount (yes, as OEM). These are all verifiable, take-it-to-the bank facts.

Now onto guesswork. It is possible that Schwinn felt the winds of what would become CPSC foolishness, but my guess is that Schwinn started using dual-position brake levers as part of the effort to get people who were not comfortable with the idea of drop bars to try the "lightweight" ten-speeds. "See, you can brake from up top, just like you do on a regular bike." Again, that part is a guess, but I can sure see a bunch of middle-America Schwinn dealers using that as a pitch line. And don't forget the Euro types had been using guidonet (sp?) brake levers for some time. They never caught on here, but the Schwinn folks were in tough with what was going on across the pond- hence the use of Huret Alvit derailluers and Weinmann brakes well into the 70s. Perhaps the guidonets were the inspiration for the dual-position (un)safety levers. I leave it to someone who actually knows about this stuff to confirm, correct or point and laugh at this.
I used them heavily on the one bike I owned that had them. A very early 70s Free Spirit. I was not a "cyclist" in those days; I used a bike to get around Sacramento.
Old 11-03-23, 07:08 PM
chain_whipped

You'll be riding your current 'classic and oldie' for many more years, but this is what today's modern high end road bikes are becoming in only a few short years.

Add the massive recall of Dura Ace and Ultegra Hollowtech cranksets.

Down goes the GiAnT
https://www.mensjournal.com/pursuits...ng-riders-back
Old 11-03-23, 07:37 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
CLB duraluminum brake cable casings......
You will lose at least 50% braking power if you use these.
The casings just compresses too much.
​​Figures that you can still find these on sale at eBay as people must have stayed away from it when it was sold by CLB in the 80's.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 11-04-23, 12:16 PM
schwinnderella

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts
The death stare I get from my wife when I bring home another bicycle.
Likes For schwinnderella:
Old 11-04-23, 04:55 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 162 Posts
If you own a Kogswell frame with a 1” steel fork there’s an active thread on the Paceline forum well worth reading. It could save your life. Really.

Mods - I scanned FAQ and couldn’t see anything about references to other forums. Normally I wouldn’t but this is a special case.
Old 11-05-23, 04:35 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Cinelli XA (and likely a few others, Cinelli not alone, who stupidly also put an insert in the same place); failure mode should be obvious, and sufficiently dangerous to qualify:

Old 11-05-23, 06:25 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by chain_whipped

This one is 195g - and it's padded:

Aluminium rails are a bit bigger than steel ones - 8mm dia.
Old 02-05-24, 09:16 PM
chain_whipped

Old 02-06-24, 05:34 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by rjhammett
Stronglight 93 crank arms. I just threw them out. The non drive side had multiple hairline cracks and the drive side had a single crack.
Where were the cracks (so we know where to check)?
Old 02-06-24, 09:39 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Where were the cracks (so we know where to check)?
On both crank arms the cracks were on the end where they bolt to the bottom bracket. Cracked from the front side to the back side of the crank.
Old 02-07-24, 10:56 AM
NVFlinch 

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Cheap Chinese carbon forks. They tell me I survived !