Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Researching purchase of a hybrid/MTB/Commuting

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 01:34 PM
corle001

Bikes: Trek 1.2 & Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little about myself; Got back into cycling after 25 years 04/13, purchased a Trek 1.2 then & put 1800 miles on it in 2013 & 3800 this year. Just bought a Cannondale Synapse and thrilled with it. BTW: I researched (read plus rode) endurance road bikes for at least 6 mos before purchase of Synapse. Pretty much do my own maintenance with annual LBS checkout.
Uses for new bike; Short trips around town (Groceries, local restaurants/pubs), around camping areas & short commutes to stores/sites from camping areas. Would ride bike paths, roads both paved and hard packed unpaved, some grass/fields in parks etc. Probably would try some easy trails, but if I like that then next bike would be a MTB... Probably want to be able to put rack on back w/ panniers and be able to sit upright enough to wear a backpack.
Price range: will have to buy 2, my lovely wife will need one also. $1000 would be top end stretch each including any necessary modifications or additions (much lower would be very nice). Not to say that once I have them I won't be looking for upgrades.

Ok now some questions; (will definitely be riding and reading reviews on specific bikes also)
MTB vs Hybrid - Leaning towards Hybrid & I now that riding them will determine true difference, but just want some folks to opine on this?
Suspension - I think not since I'm really not hitting hard trails & worry about the loss of power (used to road bike). Plus how about the suspension that locks; good, bad, reliable, ...?
Seat - I know this could get crazy... I ride a Brooks B17 on road bike, moved it from my Trek to the Synapse, Love it!!! Sitting more upright on these type of bikes & more leisurely riding, seems to me that more weight on bottom vs. legs & arms on road bike. Padding (a no-no on road bike), springs (Brooks or others), ...?
Brands with known problems, especially at low end?
Any other comments or suggestions would be great...
Old 12-31-14, 02:54 PM
alexdi

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
You're right in the crosshairs for this article:

The Best Hybrid Bike | The Sweethome

MTBs have a higher bottom bracket, a more slack head tube, shorter chainstays, and often, a shorter effective top tube. This all translates into a more vertical riding position with your weight further back. In your case, because you're willing to add an MTB later if the need arises, I'd choose a hybrid with no suspension and tires around 35mm.
Old 12-31-14, 03:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got a Shop that sells them or just going on what others say ?

MTB is not a Hybrid . wheel size is different, 29er with a road tire looks Odd, though You Might fit one. N+1 or 2 perhaps?
Hybrid~Cross a 35mm.. MTB is 50 or 60 wide..

NB: C 17 will survive washing the Mud off the Bike Better than B 17 ..

Gunnar is US , part of Waterford , so there's a merit.

though Taiwan has the same skills available and costs less , so thats where a Lot of Brands went.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-31-14 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 03:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Given your budget and knowledge of bikes (you do your own maintenance), why not get a pair of used bikes from CL? Lots of choices when it comes to hybrids; also a vintage mtb would work (no suspension). Both are good choices for short trips around town, easy trails, etc. You can get the 2 bikes for quite a bit less than $1k and have money left over for upgrades on the saddle, tires, etc.
Old 01-04-15, 08:29 AM
corle001

Bikes: Trek 1.2 & Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies. Great article @alexdi. I was looking thru CL & there are a number of hybrids to look at there. Now to start the riding...
Old 01-04-15, 09:49 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I think the B-17 is perfect on a Hybrid. Selle Anatomica is also pretty nice, but different than a Brooks. I like 'em both.