Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video of Cop Ticketing Cyclist

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Video of Cop Ticketing Cyclist

Old 02-11-16, 12:59 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Hmm, it sounds as if he thinks that the only places where sidewalks are routed are in front of businesses. Around where I live I can travel less than a block in any area and NOT encounter a business where a cyclist operating on the sidewalk would endanger a patron exiting a business. Most if not all of the sidewalks are in front of homes with a full front yard between the sidewalk and the house. So no danger to anyone stepping out of their home.

With the possible exception of the downtown area there are very few areas where the sidewalks are "right" in front of a business putting a patron in risk of being hit by a cyclist operating on the sidewalk.

So again he is making assumptions and broad statements that in no way reflect the conditions that a lot of us are familiar with. Now if we wanted we could make certain presumptions about him based on both his screen name and his avatar. . .
You do realize that while discussing general topics with strangers on the interweb everyone has to make certain assumptions in every case right?
Not sure what your naive and repetitive drilling down of that fact has to do with anything but oh well...
Old 02-13-16, 12:05 AM
CrippledKonaBoy
Banned.

Bikes: The Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakes1
Please explain what you mean when you say your town 'specifies' it?
Is it illegal to ride on the road in your town?
You generally do not 'encounter' drivers when on the road btw. You share the road with them.
You do however 'encounter' and potentially harm pedestrians when on the sidewalk. Nothing like walking out a shop door into a cyclist. That is an unexpected and unavoidable encounter.

Indiana town with a total of about 8 pedestrians. Very quaint.
Reminds me of a Ned Beatty/Burt Reynolds movie that featured a river and a banjo...

More presuppositional fallacies than Pat Robertson...nice.

My town "specifies" it as in it SPECIFICALLY enumerates the allowances and limits of the practice. Simple enough? Hope so, it doesn't GET any simpler.

Stupid question -- No. NOT illegal to ride the road.

If you saw the drivers here, you'd shut up about the word 'encounter'....... And NO ONE, in my entire time of riding, has ever come out of a shop and collided with me. A DOZEN cars have made painful contact with me on the road. I told a cop once: "On any given day, there are about 50K drivers on the road. 30K do not know the law regarding cyclists, 10K actively resent us, and a good 1K would not hesitate to use their front bumper to prove their 'ownership' of the road." He did not disagree.

"Quaint"? Hyperbole much? Or are you being overly literal as a way to demonstrate how much of a sphincter you can be?

Goodnight, Ned. My "quaint" town numbers about 200K. So shut it.
Old 02-13-16, 12:07 AM
CrippledKonaBoy
Banned.

Bikes: The Kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You do realize that while discussing general topics with strangers on the interweb everyone has to make certain assumptions in every case right?
Not sure what your naive and repetitive drilling down of that fact has to do with anything but oh well...
NO ONE with three digits of IQ has to make ANY assumptions. Most CHOOSE to do so because the wimple act of THOUGHT is too cumbersome.
Old 02-13-16, 01:52 AM
RedRockRider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It wasn't a blanket statement. Only an inexperienced rider or an idiot rides on the sidewalk
In Nevada, it is legal to ride on the sidewalk, although pedestrians have the right of way. I do, however get the gist of what you are saying and do not understand why some people feel the need to crucify you over your comment.

I myself DO occasionally ride on the sidewalk, when in a heavy traffic area without a bike lane or shoulder.

It's called self preservation.

Originally Posted by CrippledKonaBoy
Only a self-important walking sphincter makes judgmental statements like that, deciding on his/her own that ALL riders MUST ride as he/she does, or is a lesser rider and human being, unworthy of any respect. Such a person would best serve society by riding off the side of a bridge.

Add Indiana to the list of states that allow sidewalk riding; my town specifies it, and since only about eight people WALK anywhere, it's just like a MUP. I can personally ride 4-5 miles and encounter fewer pedestrians than I would drivers in ONE RESIDENTIAL BLOCK.

40+ years on the bike, so not inexperienced; IQ likely equal to your WEIGHT, and (painfully) aware of increased limitations, so not an idiot. What I AM is intolerant of intolerance.
The IQ comment is particularly classy, Einstein. As stated above, his statement isn't heresy.

My town "specifies" it as in it SPECIFICALLY enumerates the allowances and limits of the practice. Simple enough? Hope so, it doesn't GET any simpler.

If you saw the drivers here, you'd shut up about the word 'encounter'....... And NO ONE, in my entire time of riding, has ever come out of a shop and collided with me. A DOZEN cars have made painful contact with me on the road. I told a cop once: "On any given day, there are about 50K drivers on the road. 30K do not know the law regarding cyclists, 10K actively resent us, and a good 1K would not hesitate to use their front bumper to prove their 'ownership' of the road." He did not disagree.

"Quaint"? Hyperbole much? Or are you being overly literal as a way to demonstrate how much of a sphincter you can be?

Your Pat Robertson "joke" explains much. So tolerant.

NO ONE with three digits of IQ has to make ANY assumptions. Most CHOOSE to do so because the wimple act of THOUGHT is too cumbersome.

My but some folks are thin skinned.

Your last 2 comments have made it almost a full page of this thread you have derailed.

The last 2 where you struggle to elevate your lexicon in order to prove your "IQ equal to the other posters weight" is painfully obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
Old 02-13-16, 04:33 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Except, when they are too broad and general.

As not only I but others have said one can make certain assumptions about you based on both your screen name and your avatar. . .

Yes, there are way too many of them out there. It'd be nice if every x-number of years one had to be completely retested in order to continue to drive an automobile. More frequently when a new law is passed or an old one is amended.

He does seem to do a good job of proving that, doesn't he?
Old 02-15-16, 11:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I deleted some posts that were highly inappropriate. Closing