Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New cassette question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New cassette question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 10:13 AM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
New cassette question

If I change from 11-28 to an 11-30 ultegra cassette will I need a new chain as well or will my current one fit?. The reason I ask is I'm getting some new wheels and I figure this is a good time to change my cassette as well and since I live in a rather hilly area and enjoy climbing I thought I'd give an 11-30 a go. According to shimano my short cage RD will support a cassette up to an 11-30. Apart from possibly needing a new chain are there any other adjustments to the RD I'd need to make?
Old 04-03-20, 10:38 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Whether of not your current chain will fit depends on how much, if any, extra length it has. New cassettes may not always play well with old chains. I always replace my chain when I put on a new cassette and keep them as a set; you might consider doing this with your old wheel/cassette/chain. If you decide to try and use your old chain, you must put your chain on the largest chainring and GENTLY try to shift into your biggest rear cog while turning the rank by hand, and STOP if the derailleur is stretched out straight or there are any other signs of a too-short chain.
Old 04-03-20, 10:50 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
dsbrantjr gives great advice, your best option is to get a new chain. If your chain is 'stretched' it will quickly wear your new cassette.
If you measured your chain stretch and it's satisfactory, just use the chain sizing method Mr. Jones shows in this video.
You'll get the same information you would get from dsbrantjr's method without risking damage to your derailleur.
Old 04-03-20, 10:54 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Your derailleur limits might need to be tweaked a tiny bit for best performance. A TINY bit. Shimano tolerances are pretty good, but no one's perfect.
Old 04-03-20, 11:05 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Your small/small combination is the same with new/old. After that it is a matter of derailleur capacity. Long cage Ultegra should still be within limits. If you are using medium cage it is beyond limits, but only because the limit is the 28 tooth cog. It'll still run fine on a 30 tooth cog.

If you have a medium cage and want to go beyond 30 teeth, you may want to consider the long cage.

...And the advice to change the chain when doing cassettes is pretty solid. The more worn the stronger that advice is. If all is new-ish (less than 500 miles) I wouldn't be too concerned though.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-03-20, 11:07 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
Put the chain on the largest cog & ring and see how much excess chain you have.
IF you have at least three 1/2 links, you are good. (1-1/2")
Each 2 teeth > cog will require 1/2" more chain.
You want at least 1" of "slack"
Old 04-03-20, 12:46 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Your derailleur limits might need to be tweaked a tiny bit for best performance. A TINY bit. Shimano tolerances are pretty good, but no one's perfect.
Expect minor limit and indexing adjustment, even when replacing like with like. You may (probably) need to adjust the B screw for the larger big cog.
Old 04-03-20, 12:56 PM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wow thanks for all the great answers. Normally I would just change the chain no questions asked but in this case I had just replaced it last summer and it probably has 1,000 miles on it or so. I think I will just change it to be safe and let the LBS deal with any RD adjustments that need to be made.