Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bianchi TSX Ultralight - Vintage Classic Worth ?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 09-07-18, 05:23 PM
JerryBerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. A few months back I entered the world of road biking for the first time and fell in love In large part to my first road bike EVER. This Bianchi. This model is from the 90s and specifically 1996 if anyone can confirm it ? I couldn't believe that it was more than 20 years old because I got it in immaculate condition in my humble noob opinion in what looks like almost new 9/10 condition. So I have two questions. 1) What is it worth and 2) Is this considered vintage in 2018 if it's from 96?

It came with a mixture of Campy Chorus (front and rear detailers) and Athena groupset, Time Carbon fork, DT Swiss spokes, Mavic Open Sup rims and Continental Grand Prix Classic tyres.

Here are the pics.

Last edited by JerryBerry; 09-10-18 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 08:03 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 715 Posts
Refresh page...refresh page.

No pics showing

Last edited by malcala622; 09-08-18 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 12:38 AM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone please help me ?! I'm a Noob. It seems I'm not allowed to post pictures ?Each time I try it says I'm not allowed to . I don't get it ? It says I need to make 10 posts before I can attach URLS ? But these are my pics !

Last edited by JerryBerry; 09-08-18 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 07:40 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The frame has the Campione del Mondo decal first used in 1993 and the components appear to be 1995-1996 Chrorus. There was a Bianchi TSX Chorus offered in the USA for both years, at $2299 US. It's in nice condition but the non-OEM fork detracts from the value. I'd value it at ~ $600 US in an average market. The definition of C&V is subjective but I think most members would classify it as such. Pic assist...

Old 09-08-18, 06:07 PM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information but I paid more which i thought was well worth the price given the condition of the bike and how smooth it runs. I actually thought I got a bargain and still do.

Last edited by JerryBerry; 09-09-18 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-09-18, 09:20 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by JerryBerry
Thanks for the information but I paid more which i thought was well worth the price given the condition of the bike and how smooth it runs. I actually thought I got a bargain and still do. I do have the original folk too btw.
Your the only one who can decide if you paid too much for it. However while bikes like this come up often getting the right size is often hard. If it is something you really want sometimes you just have to go for it. I with shipping and all that went into overhauling it I paid too much for my /97 Megatube Ti but you seldom see these for sale and I really wanted one. After the first ride I knew it was money well spent.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-09-18, 12:49 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The frame has the Campione del Mondo decal first used in 1993 and the components appear to be 1995-1996 Chrorus. There was a Bianchi TSX Chorus offered in the USA for both years, at $2299 US. It's in nice condition but the non-OEM fork detracts from the value. I'd value it at ~ $600 US in an average market. The definition of C&V is subjective but I think most members would classify it as such. Pic assist...

With both the carbon replacement fork and the original fork, and with the bike in such gorgeous condition, I'd have paid in the $800 to $900 range, easily; maybe more. Beautiful.
Old 09-09-18, 11:19 PM
JerryBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Your the only one who can decide if you paid too much for it. However while bikes like this come up often getting the right size is often hard. If it is something you really want sometimes you just have to go for it. I with shipping and all that went into overhauling it I paid too much for my /97 Megatube Ti but you seldom see these for sale and I really wanted one. After the first ride I knew it was money well spent.
Absolutely agree with you Bianchigirll ! In fact fun fact, It was a size 58 that initially came with a 140mm Cinelli quill stem but i was lucky that a local bike mechanic had the same 90s Cinelli quill stem but in a more comfy and less aggressive 110mm in fabulous condition. And i guess to get back to your point i was truly fortunate to have found her. How am in love with her It was truly money well spent!!!
Old 09-16-18, 12:56 PM
dsummers

Bikes: Rodriguez Outlaw; Rodriguez Journey; Lynskey ProCross; De Rosa Professional SLX; Tommasini Super Prestige; Tommasini Tecno; Pinarello Trevisio; Bottecchia Prof SLX 1st gen C-R (NOS); Bottecchia Professional SLX C-Record (rider); Miyata 612, 310 & 210

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great steel bike, but it's too new to be vintage; too old to be super lightweight; and there's nothing unusual about it. It's worth around $500-$750.
Old 09-17-18, 06:54 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
The problem with any older road bike is....you have to fit it and you have to be ok with being older. It's a nice bike in the right color but waiting for someone to pay on the high end when you are ready to sell becomes bothersome. Most will list at a quick sell price as the difference of a few hundred or more dollars over months is not worth it .

On the other hand, as mentioned, if its what you want and like it, thats very well worth it. Buying a new comparable, or even much less of a bike would run double or triple.
Old 09-17-18, 02:55 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
That's a really good looking bike; I'll bet you get comments on it regularly. For your first road bike, I think you picked a winner.

It's value will depend in part on your location, which I don't think you mentioned. While it's been pointed out that the bike isn't rare, in my experience nice Celeste Bianchi's command a premium, and even if you overpaid a bit, it will hold it's value far far better than a new bike. It's definitely a classic, and in a few years will be vintage (this is a very fluid definition for many, and makes for some fun discussions). The CF fork may make it less desirable to some, though at the time it was put on the bike it was probably considered an upgrade. Ride it and enjoy it.
Old 09-17-18, 04:24 PM
dsummers

Bikes: Rodriguez Outlaw; Rodriguez Journey; Lynskey ProCross; De Rosa Professional SLX; Tommasini Super Prestige; Tommasini Tecno; Pinarello Trevisio; Bottecchia Prof SLX 1st gen C-R (NOS); Bottecchia Professional SLX C-Record (rider); Miyata 612, 310 & 210

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Au contraire. TSX tubing isn't that common, although MAX would be even better (IMO, YMMV).
I stand corrected-- TSX is the one standout piece. Agreed that MAX would be super cool. I'm partial to SLX personally-- haven't found a MAX frame.
Old 09-18-18, 07:14 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by JerryBerry
Thanks for the information but I paid more which i thought was well worth the price given the condition of the bike and how smooth it runs. I actually thought I got a bargain and still do.

Thats the key difference. There is "market value" then there is the value to "you". I have paid well over market value for stuff, with zero regrets, because it was worth more to me. My current house, we knowingly paid 25% OVER market (had to talk someone into selling a house that was not for sale). To us, it was the perfect house, in the perfect location. It was worth quite a bit more to us, so we still believe we got a good deal.

Now if you are buying something to resell, then paying over market is a bad idea.....
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 07-01-20, 04:35 PM
KColeman32

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Value Blue Bianchi TSX Ultralight/Dura Ace?

I am trying to value the TSX Ultralight Bianchi frame I got from my brother. NOT Celeste green. It's blue - I assume that hurts value, if there is much value to it. Colombus TSX Ultralight tubing. It is "costruita nel reparto corse Bianchi" It's all Dura Ace, six speed indexed shifting on downtube, I think Dura Ace 7400 series. The number underneath BB on drive side is "C1811." "Made in Italy" sticker, "Bianchi" stamped on top of non drive side bottom bracket. Underneath the BB, on non drive side is "57." Is that the size, seems smaller than 57cm to me. There is a stamping on the inside of both dropouts. It appears to be "TI14." Bianchi signature sticker on top tube. Sticker on headtube says Fabbrica Italiana Velocipedl. It has a pump braze-on on the head tube. Any help would be appreciated ... BianchiGirl, TMar???

Old 07-02-20, 01:01 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
It depends on where you are in the world but, due to the pandemic, bikes are selling like crazy.

Here in Toronto, almost every bike shop is sold out of every bike except for the super high end stuff. I've heard the same thing about NYC and I know that a lot of online retailers are running low on stock.

I think your Bianchi is a little rough but I think that you should list it for $750 and see what happens.

I've sold 2 bikes recently, both high end, and I got my asking price in one day.
Old 07-02-20, 08:17 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Right or wrong, I steer clear of bikes with replacement forks.
Old 07-03-20, 08:00 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I think those chrome unicrown forks are original. I've seen some with the crown painted to match the frame and some are fully chromed.
Old 07-03-20, 11:22 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,488 Posts
I am pretty sure the fork is original, although the huge Columbus sticker is a bit odd. The frame post dates the group by about 9 years or so. This looks like it started life as a 1995 TSX Chorus and of course came with a Chorus kit with Mavic Reflex SUP rims and the catalog shows that Columbus sticker. The fork is actuallt EL which is interesting. Apparently if you bought the TSX Chorus bike in this fabulous Chiaro Blue you got the EL fork but if you bought the F/F only you get a Columbus Chromoly fork It sadly looks like the steerer was trimmed to accomidate the shorter Dura Ace headset.

If you just want to move it along I agree with Jet price around $700-750. If you were to overhaul it and clean it up really good you might squeeze $900 ot of "I always wanted one those" buyer. Despite whats going on under the seat lug the frame looks nice but those tired looking wheels and crank are a turn off to me.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-06-20, 12:48 PM
KColeman32

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all for your thoughtful replies. Yes, the frame is newer than the parts group - my brother crashed his previous bike, bent the frame, so bought this frame and put the Dura Ace group from his previous bike on it. I looked at '95 Chorus bikes and I see they are 8 speeds, mine here is only 6. Any thoughts? I couldn't find anything on EL forks, can you tell me anything about them or point me to a source? Also, I'm kind of a nooby, so when you say the tired wheels, are you talking about the rims, and could they be cleaned up with steel wool? How are the cranks tired and what could I do to refresh them?

One of the issues on this frame you can't see, and I'll need to include pictures of it when I go to sell, is the paint rubbed off between the rear tire and seatpost tube, the tire is very close to the frame. I don't know how much it will affect value.

Again, thanks everyone!
Old 07-08-20, 08:10 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Right, cause 1. the wheels that were put onto it were older, with a six-speed freewheel rather than 8, and 2. the tires are not original to this Bianchi, so they may be a wee bit too big and have rubbed the paint on the seat tube. You probably want to put some on ~2mm less and see how that goes. OR just try another tire in that same size, as some tires run fatter than others.
Old 11-16-20, 04:18 AM
meeshoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is the TT size?
Old 11-23-20, 12:17 PM
KColeman32

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Top tube is 57.
Rear tire did rub paint off seatpost tube, picture attached.
Here's some other info:
Handlebars: Cinelli
Seat post: Campagnolo
Saddle: Selle Italia
Tubing Columbus TSX Ultralight
57 cm seatpost tube center of BB to top of tube.
56.5/57 cm top tube center to center
Fork: EL Unicrown
Groupo: Dura Ace 7400
Cassette 13/26
Chain rings: 53/39
Hubs: Dura Ace
Rims: Mavic MA 40
21.3 lbs (w/o pedals)