Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Summit Brand Grande Mt. Mystery bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 06:41 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Summit Brand Grande Mt. Mystery bike

So I traded this for a seat I didnt like and I'm quite curious about it.
I havnt even tried to put a wheel iwheel in it yet but I wanted to see if any one has any ideas about what it is and what's it's worth. I intend to build it up but want some advice on a few of the eccentric parts.
I found this old thread but the pics are dead so I'm not sure if this is the same brand.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-bicycles-whats-worth-appraisals/1007544-summit-survivor.html
I think it is or was a pretty quality machine. If the thread is correct it may have been a mail order build.
Somone has done some creative editing in a few places and I'm not sure why. If I could get some pictures of the completed model I might better understand why some parts seem grinded down.
anyway heres the pics:

The whole frame. 24\" Ownef thought MTB but im thinking maybe a touring rig given the size.

Nice drop outs, or at least ths double eyelets are nice

Old sticker decal

VERY wide drop tire clearance

Also a VERY steep headtube, is that just me or is this crazy steep?

Begining of the weirdness: At first I thoight this was aomone grinding rust off but the areas are raised as though an attempt was made to braze something on or somthing was grinded off

Similalry farher up the stays is this. To me it looks like somone cut of the brake cable tensioner bridge.

Last and least is this. Just a straight metal patch for some reason. No cracks on the frame or intensive rust on the inside so i dont know why this is here or what it's hiding, but i don't like it haha
Old 07-16-20, 09:29 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Looks like someone ground off the cantilever brake mounting posts. Maybe a fixed gear conversion at some point in its life.