Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How can I mount full fenders on front CF fork?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 02:11 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know you're not going to disappoint! Here's the fork.

I've been thinking of using thicken marine epoxy (which I have) to glue and fillet (used on wooden boats to attach parts together with a bit of structural force) a bolt where the light and the fender's hardware could be attached to.

Question, how strong is the epoxyed bolt to the Carbon fiber would be? Is there other less permanent solutions, like a strapped in bolt? Don't want to drill a whole on the fork and compromise the structure, not to mention void the warranty.

Thanks in advanced! Double O
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0014.jpg (98.4 KB, 214 views)
IMG_0015.jpg (95.8 KB, 219 views)
IMG_0016.jpg (101.9 KB, 236 views)
Old 01-30-16, 02:26 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
There are a few options out there, whatever you look at, would look at something non-pemenant/destuctive, as bonding stuff onto what you have would trash a perfectly good high-end CF fork.

SKS (and others) make fenders which mount on the dropouts/fork caliper mount ( Probably no good in your case, as you don't appear to have the hole needed where where you light is mounted), https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...de-long-black/ or shorter ones which mount to the fork blades https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...e-pro-black-2/ Plenty of other brands have this design, take you pick from your favourite.

Alternatively look at a fork with fender mounts, say a Whiskey No. 9 Forks | Whisky Parts Co.
Old 01-30-16, 02:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
rig up a way to use the QR skewer to mount the Right strut ,

+ the Bottom post mount disc caliper Bolt can be used on that side

Or use both ends of the Skewer ..

May Be nothing you can just buy and put on , it will take some creativity to make pieces For the Purpose.

making a strap like ring, around the fork blade of Composite, cloth & epoxy
and Wrapping it over and around Your proposed mount

fabricated so that it is well bonded but external to the fork blade

In My way of thinking, Has some possibilities.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-30-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-30-16, 02:47 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimc101
There are a few options out there, whatever you look at, would look at something non-pemenant/destuctive, as bonding stuff onto what you have would trash a perfectly good high-end CF fork.

SKS (and others) make fenders which mount on the dropouts/fork caliper mount ( Probably no good in your case, as you don't appear to have the hole needed where where you light is mounted), https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...de-long-black/ or shorter ones which mount to the fork blades https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...e-pro-black-2/ Plenty of other brands have this design, take you pick from your favourite.

Alternatively look at a fork with fender mounts, say a Whiskey No. 9 Forks | Whisky Parts Co.
Thanks for the suggestions! The best for me would be the SKS pro-black 2. Even thou is not a full fender, I could combine with existing mud guard and "complete" a full one. The fork would be the best option, but it needs to be quick release for the dynamo hub.

I don't think I would trash the fork if done properly. My only concern is that it would end up not been strong enough and with time and vibration the epoxy joint would fail.

Thanks again! Double O
Old 01-30-16, 02:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Crud Mk2 / vs SKS race blades Crud Roadracer Mudguards or SKS Race blades? - BikeRadar Forum
Old 01-30-16, 03:01 PM
Double0757

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
rig up a way to use the QR skewer to mount the Right strut ,

+ the Bottom post mount disc caliper Bolt can be used on that side

Or use both ends of the Skewer ..
Thanks! I didn't think of that before. That would solve the fender's bottom support wire mount problem! Little metal strip with 2 holes in an "S" shape. One hole for the quick release skewer and the other for the fender hardware to mount on.

Any Ideas on the strapped bolt on the crown? Thinking wide base bolt with metal zip ties?

Thanks! Double O
Old 01-30-16, 03:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Is there a Hole at the Bottom, Open end of the steerer tube?
Old 01-30-16, 03:26 PM
Double0757

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Is there a Hole at the Bottom, Open end of the steerer tube?
No, Its a solid piece all around, no holes except for the caliper brake mounts.
Old 01-30-16, 03:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

A Sheldon's nut on the back side. Problem Solvers. gives you a place to mount typical L Bracket.

I made up a stiffener inside my mudguard with aluminum flat bar pop riveted thru

this was External on my Bike Friday .. similar to what they sell ..

And even as On another bike needing more over tire clearance, used the fork crown thru bolt
to have 2 separate mudguard pieces separated by the fork in between.

I Plug the typical steerer with a cork on the bottom..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-30-16 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 04:52 PM
cali_axela
Señor Member

Bikes: All of them

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lynskey makes a very nice carbon, disc brake, quick release fork with fender eyelets. Fairly reasonably priced for the quality and relatively specific features, too. I have one and love it: https://lynskeyperformance.com/lynskey-endurance-disc/
Old 02-01-16, 07:02 PM
Double0757

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cali_axela
Lynskey makes a very nice carbon, disc brake, quick release fork with fender eyelets. Fairly reasonably priced for the quality and relatively specific features, too. I have one and love it: https://lynskeyperformance.com/lynskey-endurance-disc/
Thanks! Beautiful Fork! That's about what the Easton fork went for. I didn't see any Quick release fork options with eyelets for fenders in the Litespeed site. Any way, I was thinking on a stainless steel bolt soldered to a small flat piece of thin & light stainless steel plate, paint it black, then marine epoxy to the flat front part of the fork, fillet the borders with marine epoxy and paint black again. Marine epoxy has a little give and don't crack with flexing. I'm hoping it will hold up to the rigors of commuting and gravel trail ridding. It's only going to hold a dynamo light and fender, so not much weight on the plate.

For the bottom, I was thinking on the same bolt (smaller) soldered to a small plate, but instead of epoxy, use zip ties around the fork to secure it, less permanent and easy to service.

It's worth the try, rather than buying a new fork. If it doest work then I'll consider a new fork.

Thanks! Double O
Old 02-02-16, 10:22 PM
CrippledKonaBoy
Banned.

Bikes: The Kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rubber or silicone strips inside plumber's strapping around the lower fork legs can hold the lower fender mounts. Depending on the upper mount, something similar can happen at the crown. Totally non-invasive to the fork.
Old 02-03-16, 01:15 PM
AlTheKiller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You could potentially try and lengthen some raceblade fenders?

They already go about as low as many popular style of fenders, if not quite low enough for true full coverage. If you got creative with either your old fender, or some lightweight, shaped plastic, you could probably get it lengthened a few inches for better low coverage.

They're not the most sturdy, but I did plenty of commuting with mine and it got me by.

edit: could you swap out the front struts onto the rear fender I wonder? Since you already have the rear fender that you need. That would give you more front coverage.
Old 02-26-16, 07:23 PM
Double0757

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you everybody! This is what I ended up doing.

Totally serviceable and none permanent. Haven't tried it on the commute but light and fender holding good!
Attached Images
IMG_0007.jpg (97.4 KB, 181 views)
IMG_0006.jpg (83.5 KB, 176 views)
IMG_0005.jpg (80.8 KB, 174 views)
IMG_0004.jpg (83.8 KB, 180 views)
IMG_0003.jpg (84.9 KB, 180 views)
IMG_0002.jpg (94.3 KB, 185 views)
IMG_0001.jpg (93.8 KB, 179 views)
Old 02-27-16, 08:05 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Very clever. I would have* just used zip ties all around (through the bolt holes on the fender and struts) but I bet your plastic squares protect the CF from rub from the fender parts.

*and I have done that well enough, albeit with a metal suspension fork not a CF one
Old 02-28-16, 10:03 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So what is the plastic square?
Old 02-28-16, 10:00 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by cali_axela
+1

Old 03-01-16, 03:38 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Never mind. I figured it out. Look at the picture. I saw all of them, but the first one. Pretty clever.

That's only the upteenth great idea that I've gotten from BF. I'll use that one to mount fenders on my FS mountain bike.

Last edited by scoatw; 03-01-16 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 04:01 PM
scoatw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Double0757

Is that a washer or a lock washer behind the nut?
Old 03-04-16, 01:42 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is some truly horrendous diy work. The Lynskey is okay...the rest is terrible.
Old 03-07-16, 09:34 AM
Double0757

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scoatw
Is that a washer or a lock washer behind the nut?
It's a raised stainless steel washer I had laying around. I serrated the bottom with a Dremel so it digs into the plastic and doesn't slip. Also lock-tied the first nut with red lock-tie, so as to sandwich the fender and light hardware between them.

The light does vibrate only on rough pavement or bumps, however it does a good job at holding everything in place. Short of a more permanent and sturdier solution ( epoxying a welded nut to the fork) or buying a new fork, I think it's best I could do.
Old 03-07-16, 10:08 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
That is some truly horrendous diy work. The Lynskey is okay...the rest is terrible.
And what would you have done, without replacing or otherwise permanently modifying the OP's existing fork?

Looks like a pretty neat idea to me. I might need to find some of those plastic squares.
Old 03-08-16, 02:07 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
And what would you have done, without replacing or otherwise permanently modifying the OP's existing fork?

Looks like a pretty neat idea to me. I might need to find some of those plastic squares.
Hey, more power to you. I like my bike looking like a bike and not a Martha Stewart superglue special.

What would I have done? I would have ridden my cx bike which has eyelets for full fenders.
Old 03-08-16, 08:23 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
Hey, more power to you. I like my bike looking like a bike and not a Martha Stewart superglue special.

What would I have done? I would have ridden my cx bike which has eyelets for full fenders.
Ridiculous response. Some people have to make do with what they have. My commuter bike doesn't have fender eyelets, but I use it because it's the bike I have that's best suited for 31 miles round trip. I have the RaceBlade clip-on fenders like in the pic posted above (only put them on for rainy days), but I would much prefer having full fenders. Maybe one day when I can afford to build another bike that accommodates such things, but for now I make do with what I have.
Old 03-08-16, 08:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Double0757
I know you're not going to disappoint!

I am only half kidding.
Attached Images
GTGT4811.jpg (85.0 KB, 134 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.