Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Funny experience with a person on an electric bicycle.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 04:27 AM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

So yesterday I went to my local bike shop and on my way back on a red light I met this old man with a bicycle that looked like a mountain bike and was wearing sandles, casual clothing and had groceries in one hand. My first thought was, he is taking it easy so as soon as the light turned green I passed him and was going at a 22-23mph pace on a flat road. After 5 minutes I hit a red light turned around and I was so shocked he was behind me the whole time! After that I was like there is no way I am letting him overtake me like this, I felt so insecure to see this happening. After the second red light there was a slightly steep hill, about 3% grade and for almost 5 minutes I was averaging 17.1mph and again at the next red light he is right behind me! I was so puzzled in my head seeing him so relaxed without a drop of sweat while I was drenched. During the stop, We greeted each other and as he left the other direction I observed him riding up the hill and just realized he was not pedaling the whole time and saw the electric engine it was using. Honestly I never felt a relief like this in a long time.
Old 10-16-16, 06:15 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Lol - the price we pay for vanity, eh?

I had a very quick moment like that when a guy on a fat bike comes by me while I'm getting up to speed on a bridge. I sprint to draft, realize that he's got e-assist, and get halfway across the bridge at 45-50 kph before I lose the draft (never really got a good one).

Impressed with the bike!

Last edited by Viich; 10-16-16 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-16-16, 06:35 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I can't say that I have ever ridden near an electric bike I couldn't hear running....and my hearing stinks.
Old 10-16-16, 07:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Funny! I see a few motorized bikes around here, the kind with small gasolene engines.

Here's one at :37 sec in.

Old 10-16-16, 07:16 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'd politely suggest to the guy that he either ride ahead or get off my wheel.

-Tim-
Old 10-16-16, 07:17 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
I can't say that I have ever ridden near an electric bike I couldn't hear running....and my hearing stinks.
You are absolutely right, the old guy in the OP's account should have driven a car to get those groceries . . . an ebike . . . what was he thinking?

My heart sinks when I think of the purity of cycling being interfered with by people using them as. . . gasp . . transportation devices too. The next thing you know, the streets will be clogged with them and they will be killing tens of thousands of people a year. here on Just Drive a Car Forum we know the truth, Bicycles are toys to be enjoyed at leisure. When you have any task to accomplish, well, you need a car.

Ok, tongue out of cheek.

When my geared front motor, on my commuter, is on I can hear it. When it is pulling a heavy load (over about 125W), such as when going up a hill with a trailer, or into a heavy headwind, I can definitely hear it.

At the same time, the motor on my trike (a mid drive) is on I simply cannot hear it. I did take it apart after getting it and put in some quality grease in it. I think that is part of why it is so quiet. In fact, I really do not notice my trike motor doing anything, I just go a bit faster. It has a pedal detect; so, other than pedaling, there is no real input from me.
Old 10-16-16, 08:54 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Recently, while I was up in Seattle and bikeless, I spent some time walking a mup in my old home town. While I was hoofing it I saw two gentlemen riding fat bikes with with electric motors....I never saw them pedal once.

I secretly hoped the batteries would die on them, and they'd be forced to get a bit of exercise.
Old 10-16-16, 10:48 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I secretly hoped the batteries would die on them, and they'd be forced to get a bit of exercise.
If you're going to have an EV die on you, having one with an intact pedal drivetrain is a great plan.
Old 10-16-16, 11:15 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
The Specialized Turbo someone rode on a group ride with us last year made no noise whatsoever.
Old 10-16-16, 11:36 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Years ago when I lived/commuted on the mean streets of Suburban Chicago I saw a pudgy rider on a cruiser at the light 100 yards away. Light turns green when I'm with 25 yards, he starts off and I never catch him. Last saw him cruising up the overpass incline without pedaling, then I figured it out.

One less car on the road is never a bad thing, I never wish ill-will on e-bikes and their users.
Old 10-16-16, 11:48 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
This takes me back to 40 years ago this fall when I was a freshman at Ohio State. My roommates and I would ride our bikes out west of Columbus - to the I-270 beltway and beyond - back when there was nothing out there but farm roads. BUT to get there we had to ride through Upper Arlington. The rich kids from Upper Arlington would try to race us on their mopeds (mopeds being a 'new' thing back then.). They couldn't go much faster than 20mph and the hills slowed them down worse than us on our bicycles.