Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2020! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2020! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 07-15-20, 09:55 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 924 Posts
Funny thing happened

Riding along the Western Canal in Tempe a young lady stopped me for help. She had a fish on the line that she had been trying to haul in. Don't know why but I stopped and started working it.

It fought kinda funny. Sometimes it felt like a rock. Or maybe it had finally wrapped the line around an obstacle. Then it would skid and fight a little. Finally we got it out.

No wonder. Managed to get the hook out without getting bit. Took a few pix. Left her taking a few pix before putting it back in the canal. Not sure if that's what we should do. But that's where we found it.

Google says it's a Fly River Turtle, or Pig Snouted Turtle. Doing some more research it might be a Spiny Softshell Turtle. https://www.reptilesofaz.org/Turtle-A...spinifera.html
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 07-16-20, 05:22 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 79 Posts
A very nice morning for riding, blue skies no clouds and the temp was 58 f degrees this am. What a pleasant ride. So this baby bunny crossing the street way ahead of me, stops at the middle of the road then starts again and gets to the other side. Just as I finally get to his location he runs back across the street where he came from. I guess the grass is not greener.
Old 07-16-20, 07:43 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 108 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1002:

Got stung on the finger by something nasty right as I left the driveway. Still hurts a couple hours later.

Other than that, it was a gorgeous morning for a ride.
Old 07-16-20, 12:48 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Just checking in. Good to see that some are still able to bike commute. I have not ridden since transitioning to working from home in mid-March. No estimated date to return yet.
On the plus side, I cleaned my bike last weekend. Sad, but it still had early March rain and road grime on it. Okay, I did ride it around the block once after cleaning it. But that's only about 1/2 mile.

I hope to get some rides in soon. I have been running 4-5 times a week, so not a total bum. Missing the rides though.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1000:
I arrived at the office and took a commemorative photo. I went inside and started to unpack when I realized that I had left my laptop at home. All the VPN stuff I needed was on that laptop, so I couldn't work without it. So I spoke to a couple co-workers for a few minutes, then loaded up the bike and rode back to work from home. During the ride back the sky grew awfully black and I thought the rain was finally going to happen, but it never did.
So you commuted twice? That should bump your commute count up an extra one!
Old 07-16-20, 01:54 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Originally Posted by mgw4jc
So you commuted twice? That should bump your commute count up an extra one!
No, I rode back home right away, and then finished the day working from home. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Old 07-17-20, 08:06 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Commute was good this morning. Started to rain a few blocks from home so I turned around and started to head back home but then it stopped raining so I turned around again and rode to work. I’m glad I did. I always feel better after riding to work.
Old 07-20-20, 04:00 AM
essiemyra

A very pleasant morning ride today. It is a bit humid with some light clouds and I forgot to check the temp anywhere. A great way to start the new week!
Old 07-20-20, 05:18 PM
AdamWilson
Cycling Enthusiast

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah I just came back from work through my bike but from the last few days, I have sore testicular pain. I am riding for a long time but I don't know why it started now!
Old 07-21-20, 05:00 AM
essiemyra

Another great ride in to work today as there was no humidity and the temp was cool.

Last night on my way home it was hot and humid, but I decided instead of going straight home I would do the extended ride. I was turned around by the police detour because someone hit the bridge and flipped the vehicle. It is not a wide space and it is an underpass. They were not letting traffic through. Anyway I turned around and went up the bike path. Which it seems they may be getting ready to pave as there was new gravel put down and it was smoothed out and wider than the regular path. That was difficult to pedal through so I walked my bike to where the gravel ended and the hardpack began. I also lost my water bottle somewhere along the way. I was glad to get home last night.
Old 07-21-20, 09:33 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Cloudy, calm, and uneventful. I'm wondering if I will need to modify my route sometime this summer. There's some major construction in one area that will eventually involve adding some new girders to a bridge that I pass under. Whatever that change is, it will likely involve some gravel.
Old 07-21-20, 04:11 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rode into the office 2 days last week, and again today. I was out of commission for quite a while: I fell hiking last Sept and broke my neck and my foot and sprained my ankles and a bunch of other stuff.

Need to have my head on a swivel for city commuting. C5 was broken and moved a bit, which doesnt lend itself to "head on a swivel" situations. I still have one ankle a bit sore but I'm lucky to not be paralyzed.

I got mostly better, but never got back into commuting, but I guess I'm back now!
Today's commute was loud because my bottom bracket needs replacing.
Old 07-22-20, 04:02 AM
essiemyra

Originally Posted by timvan_78
I was out of commission for quite a while: I fell hiking last Sept and broke my neck and my foot and sprained my ankles and a bunch of other stuff.

Need to have my head on a swivel for city commuting. C5 was broken and moved a bit, which doesnt lend itself to "head on a swivel" situations. I still have one ankle a bit sore but I'm lucky to not be paralyzed.

I got mostly better, but never got back into commuting, but I guess I'm back now!
I am glad to see you healed well enough to cycle again. Stay healthy

This morning's commute was a pleasant ride with the temp at 70 f and mostly cloudy skies.
Old 07-22-20, 08:32 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1006:

Today is the first day back at the client's office in over three months. They're going to have me start coming in to the office a couple days per week for another month, then everyone will be back in the office 100%.

My house to the client is only 4 miles. During the time out of the office I'd gotten used to riding 15-25 miles every day, so instead of coming directly to the client location I took a roundabout 15 mile route. I'll probably just head straight home after work, but at least I'll get 19 miles in.

Packed all my gear to shower in the locker room, only to discover that it was locked. I'm guessing so few people have been using it the last three months that they just closed it so they wouldn't have to clean it. So I had to take a bird bath in the regular employee restroom.
Old 07-22-20, 02:10 PM
Sb23539

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good commute to work. Very little traffic with the pandemic.
Old 07-22-20, 03:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
For the first time since April I went into the office for a few hours to use some things that are not available at home. Only two things happened, both on the ride in. First was finding a guy repairing a windshield at a neighbor's house and getting a quote from him for my wife's van. The other was finding a pretty nice blinky tail light that shook off someone else's ride on the wooden bridge. My only surprise was no one else had already grabbed it. That bridge is rough for a road bike and it was my bane on the recumbent trike last year
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-22-20, 09:29 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 338 Posts
I've been back to work for about a month now, and it's getting to be a routine again. Not the same old routine-- this is a new one. But sure enough it's a routine again.

For the last week I've been stopping to pick wineberries on the way home. Twice I filled my water bottle with berries that I put on the dinner table when I got home. Nice.

Today my ride home was a race against a thunderstorm, which was exciting. The temperature dropped, the sky got dark and still, I could smell rain... would I get home dry, or drenched? It was fun. I didn't get very wet.
Old 07-23-20, 07:48 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1007:

Got up this morning feeling very unmotivated. Last night I had planned on taking the road bike and doing a 22 mile route before work. As I was getting ready to leave I was in a "I guess I'll just hammer through it, but I sure don't feel like doing this" mood.

Then I heard thunder. Odd. It wasn't supposed to rain today. I decided to quick check the radar. It looked like there was a storm just to the south of the city, but the direction it was heading in indicated it would miss us. Looks like I could still go on my long ride. I hem-hawed for a few minutes until it was too late for me to get the long ride in, then decided to hop on the hybrid with fenders "just in case" and do a shorter route.

About 1/4 mile from home it started to sprinkle. Not bad. About a mile from home it was a steady rain, but then another mile later it stopped. I guessed that I just caught the very edge of the storm and now it had passed. There was even a cool rainbow in the sky.

I guessed wrong. About 5 miles into my ride the skies completely unleashed. The rain came down furious for about 40 minutes, during which time we got about 2 inches (according to my rain gauge.) At first it was kind of fun, until the rain started stinging my eyes making it impossible to keep them open to see. My glasses were unable to keep the rain out of my eyes. I finally had to stop under a tree for about five minutes just to let my eyes calm down so I could see again. I took off again and made it about 1/2 mile before I was again blind and had to stop under another tree. That stinging eye thing sucks. There is literally no way to keep your eyes open when that searing pain hits, which I don't have to point out is pretty dangerous on a bicycle.

I rode slowly the rest of the way using my hand to try and shield my eyes from the pelting rain. It looked like I was saluting everyone. Finally, with only 1/4 mile left on my 12.6 mile ride the rain stopped.
Old 07-24-20, 04:04 AM
essiemyra

Yay for Friday!! It was a pleasant commute to work with almost no clouds and no fog. Which had been predicted for this am. The temp was a nice 68 f degrees. It is a day made for riding. Hopefully I will be able to extend the ride home but that may not happen as our granddaughter is coming to spend the night. I have other commitments than riding today.
Old 07-27-20, 04:45 AM
essiemyra

Can it possibly be Monday already? Well it was a beautiful ride in to work today with the temp at 70 f degrees with somewhat dark skies as the sun no longer rises before five am. Other than that nothing of interest happened.
Old 07-27-20, 06:23 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Been commuting to work since May anywhere from 3 -5 days per week, 21 mile round trip.
Likes For jsilvia:
Old 07-28-20, 06:25 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
21 mile round trip today. Temp. 89, 10-15 mph wind along the waterfront of New Bedford,
Old 07-29-20, 04:05 AM
essiemyra

Today the weather was very nice with the temp at 64 f degrees and no humidity. It was a pleasant uneventful ride. I did see a deer in a back yard.

My ride home today should include stopping by my lbs and getting a new brake pad put on the brake that is pulled by the right hand lever. Also another stop by the farmstand to purchase fingerling potatoes for dinner this evening. I love rides that include errands.
Old 07-30-20, 04:24 AM
essiemyra

Another good ride to work this am with the temp at 73 f degrees and mostly cloudy skies.

I stopped at the lbs last evening to have the brake pad changed and all they did was adjust the barrel so I got away without new brake pads, but they will come in the future.
Old 07-30-20, 08:18 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
working from home until 9/7

I am working from home until September 7th at least. I used to be more active in this thread so figured i would share.
Sharing some pictures I have taken since "commuting" I have been trying to get up and get rolling in aobut 15 minutes. It seems to be a bit darker in the morning lately. Garmin is even on night mode for first part of the ride. I try to get around what my round trip would be just out in the country.

very humid this morning

humid, but not as bad as today

sunrise

struck me as pretty

great morning ride. i love how the road and power lines just go on and on.
Likes For RidingMatthew:
Old 07-31-20, 04:02 AM
essiemyra

Great pictures, and wonderful scenery for riding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.