Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Value: Maruishi Tourace

Old 05-09-20, 12:11 PM
ditosaur

Bikes: Orbea Avant H50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Value: Maruishi Tourace

Hello guys I'm new to vintage bicycles and I'm looking for a touring bike. I came across a Maruishi Tourace on my local CL in great condition, but I'm just wondering if $500 is a good value?
I can't post URLs here because I'm a new user...
Old 05-09-20, 12:14 PM
ditosaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is:
imgur (dot) com/5PaBhBJ
imgur (dot) com/HnrnQNe
imgur (dot) com/B6hAvq2
Old 05-09-20, 12:17 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by ditosaur
Hello guys I'm new to vintage bicycles and I'm looking for a touring bike. I came across a Maruishi Tourace on my local CL in great condition, but I'm just wondering if $500 is a good value?
I can't post URLs here because I'm a new user...
So it takes 10 posts to put up pictures; it's an anti-spam measure.

Also you will want to ask the mods to move this thread as there is a CV valuation forum

$500 is likely too much for this bike but a lot depends on condition, your location, and whether the bike has been properly taken care of.

This is the bike, right?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-tour-ace.html
Old 05-09-20, 12:37 PM
ditosaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it is, here are some picture below. I live in Vancouver so there are some decent hills to climbs. What are some other vintage tourer bike brands that I should keep my eyes on? I heard the Trek 630 is a great one aswell.
imgur (dot) com/5PaBhBJ
imgur (dot) com/HnrnQNe
imgur (dot) com/B6hAvq2
Old 05-09-20, 01:06 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,763 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Old 05-09-20, 01:26 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,763 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 05-09-20, 01:47 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
In Vancouver the touring bikes I see on cl are usually Nishiki International, rarely the Continental, Miyata 610, 1000, 210, Apollo Custom Sport, Gran Touriste. Depending on your height the problem is the size. Usual ones I see are 23" or 57cm. Ones the size of this Maruishi are few and far between in comparison.

This same seller also has or had a Miyata 610 for the same price, but the parts had been changed out a bit.

It doesn't look to me like this one has a triple up front, which seems a bit odd but I guess you could swap it out if you wanted. Also, this is a 27" wheel bike, so you will be more or less stuck with 27x1 1/4 tires, unless you convert, which may or may not work. I have Pasela 27x1 1/4 on a couple of bikes and they work fine for my use. MEC still sells Continental Ultra Sports as well for about $25?

Would I pay $500 for this? If I had no other bike and I absolutely had to have a touring bike in my size, I might be prepared to haggle. Fortunately I already have 2 so I'll pass. Plenty of bikes on cl, the thing is you need to have the cash ready to pounce on the one you want and the patience to wait for the one your size. Beware craigslist pricing. It doesn't make sense most of the time, in my limited opinion.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 05-09-20, 02:49 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
That is a very nice bike, but it is priced at least 2X fair price IMO. Normally a touring bike has a triple crankset. I see only two chainrings on this one. Perhaps it was swapped? Rgvg's comment about possibly not being able to use different diameter rims is particularly relevant to bikes with canilever brakes such as this one. If you are after value in this kind of bike I would look for a Novara Randonee or Schwinn Voyageur. Trek and Specialized tend to be priced high. This Shogun 1500 was outed yesterday, but it is an uncommon bike.
Old 05-09-20, 03:08 PM
cb400

Bikes: 1990 Rocky Mountain Hammer, 19(7?)?Le Croco, 2000 Mikado Magellan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
That seller's pictures are always in the same location with the little box and always priced high even for vancouver. Maybe he's just optimistic and is open to offers. If cheap is an important criteria for you checking constantly is required, the good deals go away quickly. The other way to go cheap is look out for old hardtail mountain bikes, they are usually geared low so good for the hills.

Also, the bike only appears to have 1 set of threaded holes for a water bottle cage which might be annoying for real touring. I wouldn't say 600 arabesque cranks are an update for a touring bike either, and the price is coming up as 600$ which is definitely too much, you can probably wait and eventually find a miyata 1000 or 610 at that price.
Old 05-09-20, 05:54 PM
ditosaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about say a Nishiki Rally or Trek 630? How much would people pay for those? $500?
Old 05-09-20, 06:05 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Originally Posted by ditosaur
What about say a Nishiki Rally or Trek 630? How much would people pay for those? $500?
Please no on the Rally. I know there is one guy trying to sell his for 975 but he is in dreamland. This is what I mean when I say craigslist pricing is not logical. That has hi tensile tubing, and it's on the lower end of the range. Not sure about the Trek 630, I am not familiar with that.

There used to be a nice website by one of the members that was very informative on how to look at vintage bikes for quality but unfortunately it was hacked and now it's not accessible.

Look at the dropouts of the bike. If it is stamped, it's probably lower end.

I am assuming when you say $500 you mean CAD, not USD, right? At $500 CAD you should have a decent selection to choose from, but just be aware people like asking for a lot even if their bike is crap.
Old 05-09-20, 06:10 PM
ditosaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes Canadian dollar, thanks for the response. Where are places I can learn/refer to when estimating how much vintage bikes are worth? What scares me is that I'm calling out really bad shots on the pricings, I don't want to get robbed.
Old 05-09-20, 06:21 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

The selection for vintage touring bikes at 21" or 54cm doesn't look too hot right now. But you can wait a bit. A couple of weeks ago there was a nice Bianchi asking 400. It was a touring model made of Ishiwata 022, which is pretty good. Most of the touring bikes were asking less than $500 (typically around $300 and up), can't say what the selling price was.

For most people the key is fit. If it fits you and the bike's not crap, go for it. If you wait for model x from manufacturer y in size z, you'll end up waiting a long time.

Don't forget to factor in consumables. And repairs.

Good luck.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 05-09-20, 06:26 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Places to learn from? This place is great. Lots of experienced people here. Also they're on the thrifty side....
Likes For rgvg:
Old 05-09-20, 07:25 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
The thing you have to remember is that you can buy a brand new bike from a respectable local bike store for around $400 that will outperform most vintage bikes. All day long. So....................., the only vintage bikes that are going to get any traction in the marketplace are high end bikes priced way below $400. JMHO. Be good. Have fun.
Old 05-09-20, 07:51 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

^^^ some currency conversion issues there but he has a good point (lost on most cl sellers).
Old 05-10-20, 12:11 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
The thing you have to remember is that you can buy a brand new bike from a respectable local bike store for around $400 that will outperform most vintage bikes. All day long. So....................., the only vintage bikes that are going to get any traction in the marketplace are high end bikes priced way below $400. JMHO. Be good. Have fun.
The "newest" bike I have dates from the early 1980's. I've never ridden anything beyond that date so I have no idea how modern bikes "perform" so I'll take your word for it.

The question I have is, will these modern bikes in the sub $400.00 range still be serviceable 30 or 40 years from now like vintage bikes are today?.

One can find neglected 10 speed bikes from the 1970's or 80's and with some elbow grease, get them up and running. With a little more effort, they can even be finely tuned to be great "performers".
Old 05-10-20, 04:25 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
"Where are places I can learn/refer to when estimating how much vintage bikes are worth? What scares me is that I'm calling out really bad shots on the pricings, I don't want to get robbed."

Google search this forum. I used this search: trek 630 value site:www.bikeforums.net

Chances are, most bikes have already been given a value in the past. I got 1360 hits on google on the Trek 630.

Like most forums, the search function within the forum does not work very well. Google for the win.

A touring bike with a racing bike double crank for $500? Pass.

Vancouver BC market is kind of crazy price wise. If condition was similar, I'd pay more for a Trek 630 than I would for the Tourace.

Not getting a brand new touring bike here for $400.

That Nishiki Rally is a dog. There is a Cannondale T700 recently listed $525 Canadian. Probably too small for you but a better deal.

When facing such high priced market, you have several choices:

1. Hold you nose and overpay for a bike.

2. Shop aggressively locally: let all your friends know you are in the market, search thrift stores and second hand shops, look at ads that are NOT on C/L (neighborhood sales leaflet, or whatever). Find out other used channels that people are using but are not as popular with buyers. I just bought one this way.

3. Shop when you are traveling. This is my favorite! Every road trip becomes a bike buying trip. I always come home with bikes, always great deals.

4. Have family and friends outside the area look for you too, or look in their areas, or better yet, YOU look in their areas, and ask them to pick up something you find (my second choice).

5. Find a reputable flipper (yes there are some out there). Tell them what you are looking for. Chances are they will find it for you. Old tires, rusty cables, wheels not true, brakes not adjusted = not a good flipper. You are looking for someone who is knowledgeable, takes pride in their work, sells good stuff, and may initially appear high priced, but not if they are doing the work.

Get knowledge, or get taken. The choice is yours.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-10-20 at 05:14 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 05-10-20, 07:02 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Ha! I now own the TA18 referenced in AuchenCrow's thread - picked it up from him last fall in excellent shape - lovely bike.
Old 05-11-20, 10:09 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26380 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...the top of the line Maruishi bicycles are lovely bits of retro classicism in the bicycle. I agree with most of what advice has already been posted, and I have certainly paid more than "market value" for a used bike in my size that I really wanted. In your case, since you appear to be looking for the best deal, rather than some specific bike, I echo the sentiment that you should probably wait. But if that bike in the photos is in good shape mechanically, I don't see $500 Canadian as "getting robbed".

I own one of their top of the line crit geometry bicycles, and it is such a fine rider I'm considering upgrading the tyres to something lighter and better when next I move it into the daily rotation. Mine is also a nice salmon pink in color, which I'm sure everyone agrees is a plus.
Old 01-02-21, 12:17 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
No. I really like Maruishi touring bikes but that's way too high especially with a double crank. I'd sooner turn a decent hybrid or mountain bike into a solid touring bike than pay that much. There are bikes that'll pop up but you gotta act quickly. Peugeot uo's have long chain stays and make dandy touring bikes. You'd have to clamp everything to it since it comes with few brazeons and work on the gear ratios of course.