Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2 part Lance special...u watch?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2 part Lance special...u watch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 11:04 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
In NYC I finally got to watch both on On-Demand through Optimum. I see you can also buy them on Amazon to watch digitally.

I didn't learn a lot but it was fun to see Big G and the others. It's history that I assume will be put to bed soon - Lance is going to be 50 next year - his story is old news by now.
Old 06-24-20, 01:38 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
The most interesting part of the documentary to me was a moment in part two when he cried openly. He was asked why he went to visit Jan Ullrich. Armstrong said it was because he loved him. And he went on to talk about the ways Ullrich shaped his life through their competition.

Both of them came from hard backgrounds, and rose to the top of cycling at a time when drugs were necessary to win. Their lives turned out differently. But this was the connection that brought him to tears.

Another part no one has called attention to was the interview with Terry Armstrong, the step father who adopted him. To me, Terry came off as a self aggrandizing fool, as well as a strange, troubled man. He said he regreted never showing Lance affection, yet he he saw his abuse as the motivation that formed Lance into a champion, instead of an unecesarry and cruel personal failure.

So many people saw Armstrong as a hero, which I never did. A hero is a very one-dimensional concept I have never bought. He is, though, an example of what's possible. He survived. And even terrible people can go on heroic journeys. I think he is still on his way, and continues to grow, just as any of us can.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 07-06-20, 06:13 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I never realized before that he was a total jerk from the time he was an adolescent.
Single mom, no discipline. I know about 10 guys exactly like that. No parenting, no limits...anyone criticized him, no matter what it was, mom took his side. Nothing he did was wrong.

There are a lot of jerks these days just like that. They are lacking talent in an area where they'd make a name for themselves other than in jail or something. My point is he is a product of his upbringing by a mom who had him when she was 17. That's his personality that was molded by the way he was brought up, and since he had a ton of talent, it gets blown up.

People can argue doping until they are blue in the face, but unless you've been there it's just words, It was basically a job requirement. Postal just did it better.

Note how the guys that left Postal and continued to dope got caught? Heras, Landis, Hamilton...
Old 07-06-20, 06:20 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
The most interesting part of the documentary to me was a moment in part two when he cried openly. He was asked why he went to visit Jan Ullrich. Armstrong said it was because he loved him. And he went on to talk about the ways Ullrich shaped his life through their competition.

Both of them came from hard backgrounds, and rose to the top of cycling at a time when drugs were necessary to win. Their lives turned out differently. But this was the connection that brought him to tears.

Another part no one has called attention to was the interview with Terry Armstrong, the step father who adopted him. To me, Terry came off as a self aggrandizing fool, as well as a strange, troubled man. He said he regreted never showing Lance affection, yet he he saw his abuse as the motivation that formed Lance into a champion, instead of an unecesarry and cruel personal failure.

So many people saw Armstrong as a hero, which I never did. A hero is a very one-dimensional concept I have never bought. He is, though, an example of what's possible. He survived. And even terrible people can go on heroic journeys. I think he is still on his way, and continues to grow, just as any of us can.
He said Ullrich was the only guy that got him up in the morning. He feared Ullrich.

Terry Armstrong claimed he was the reason Lance was the champion he was. I about fell off the couch. I did chuckle at Lance's take...you left your drawer open. Bam. Lance said if he did that to his kids that;s all he'd do.

I was moved by his talking about telling his son about the doping.

No matter what Armstrong does, some will say f you...like the bar story.
Old 07-06-20, 06:24 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
He (Lance), needs to let it go and fade off into the sunset and find his resting place. It’s OVER! Don’t get me wrong, he was a phenomenal athlete on PED’s. So are some others. Quit being mad at the world and move on.

That said.......who is your favorite this year?
He's not mad at the world. He's doing quite well, and his podcast biz is really good. WEDU is also doing well.

He's coming to grips with what he did...most of which he can never fix.
Likes For roadwarrior:
Old 07-06-20, 06:27 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
Yeah, divisive guy for sure. His cancer survival story, epic. Could have easily died and none of this would even be much of a story ever. But the fact he survived, then was able to comeback, and then the massive doping that went on during that era, pretty amazing.

The whole USPS lawsuit, what a joke, how much money did they make off of him? He hardly cost them any money...$5M is probably a good settlement. Then don't get me started on Floyd, what a dirt bag that guy was for his part, busted doper going after a doper....epic. Then says, well I regret it, nothing ever came of it. Well no kidding, Floyd, didn't get your share of the money?? Why he is pissed, gheez. Floyd is more of the same, just didn't get his fame and busted before he could capitalize.

Lance, Type A all the way, his Mom isn't much better than he obviously, see where he got it from some of his attitude. But, talk about driven at any costs to succeed once the cancer/post recovery doping started is pretty crazy what he did with the rest of the dopers.

Haven't watched part 2 yet, watched part 1 yesterday in fact.

IDK, I find the guy entertaining, the people with the holier than thou' attitude and purity of sports is kind of ridiculous over this particular situation when we know 80% were doping at least, they couldn't test and detect it, so why be afraid. He was more scared about cortisone than EPO.

But I know others have serious issues with the whole cheating/doping in cycling and keeping sports fair/level playing field and get why they hate the guy. He isn't the first, not the last. But certainly one of the legends of dopers in Sports. Think he gets that part of it as well. He accomplished being the biggest doper ever essentially and well know for that as his wins.

The guy still obviously has $50M in the bank at least, or more. He's going to be just fine.
The "holier than thou" folks have little clue what goes on when people are paid for sport.
Good post.
Old 07-06-20, 07:07 AM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Don't think anyone is arguing that Lance was a 'nice guy'. He was a sign of the times he raced in. Doping was rampant and, as mentioned, Postal just had it figured out better. My fav was on the downhill when Belocki(?) crashed (unfortunately broke his hip) and Lance had to dodge him, going off the road and into the weeds, having to pick up his bike and jump a ditch to return to the road. Like most all great athletes, he was single-minded about his sport.
Old 07-07-20, 07:36 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
If you didn’t Lance or have never heard of him, after watching the two parts, there was nothing there to endear you to him.