Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

1st ebike for elder couple. Need solid advice

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 07:39 PM
H0GWILD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We are an older couple I ride 4 times a week on my 1973 world voyager. my wife used to ride much with mr but joints took that out. we ould like an 1st ebike for paved trails or park lanes. Have 7 gkids that ride a bit on paved trails and in the park. Please help I like the bikes that pretty much look like my old 10 speed and I am not opposed to the step through eithr. Thanks Greg

I will give careful consideration To your experience. Wouldn't mind under $2000
Old 04-03-24, 11:14 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Trek has a sale on thru April on their e-bikes. Take a look on line or if you have a trek store close by you can test ride.
Old 04-03-24, 12:53 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
Serfas is an ebike brand sold in bike shops. They have a variety of models and several are less than $2k. Some models are also 'step through' making it far easier to climb aboard. Their Dash 350 is a very nice model with a 350 watt motor that tops at 20mph and is not expensive.
They are also easier to gets parts for compared to internet only brands. They are also of far higher quality than internet only brands.
They are sold in the shop where I work and we've never had a problem or complaint with any we've sold.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 04-03-24, 02:24 PM
H0GWILD

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And the quest begins. Thank you and I will continue to follow this thread
Old 04-03-24, 06:21 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 193 Posts
My wife and I celebrate 49 years of marriage this summer. Since COvid, the two of us ride a lot more, and we get about 2400 miles together annually. Neither one of us is a hard core cyclist, but have been ebiking for 8 summers.

You'll find there are two kinds of assist systems. First is called cadence assist. It uses pedal motion, not pedal pressure, to activate the motor to a preset speed/power level. You can pedal lightly and let the motor do all the work. Or you can pedal harder and add to the motor power. You'll have three to seven preset power levels.. Second is called torque assist. For a given pedal pressure, the motor "amplifies" it and supplies proprtional power. Pedal hard and you get more power. Pedal light, and you might not get much power at all. Cadence is better for riders with bad knees or weaker riders, Torque is more fun for biking enthusiasts who love the feel of pressing the pedals, .

I relate the above info because I got my wife onto a torque sensor last year after eight years with a cadence. Last month she proclaimed she was going back to her old bike.She said her old bike was easier to ride. I don't mind. She was slower with the T/S bike and I was getting tired of waiting for her. .My point is choose the bike that fits your wife,

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 04-03-24 at 06:25 PM.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 04-04-24, 07:04 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
I relate the above info because I got my wife onto a torque sensor last year after eight years with a cadence. Last month she proclaimed she was going back to her old bike.She said her old bike was easier to ride. I don't mind. She was slower with the T/S bike and I was getting tired of waiting for her. .My point is choose the bike that fits your wife.
You can often tune the torque response, so that it requires less pedal effort to get full power.
Old 04-04-24, 09:25 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 193 Posts
"You can often tune the torque response, so that it requires less pedal effort to get full power."

Yes, you can, I had tweaked up level 1 and 2, However, she said it was in the highest assist level and the wind was too strong..
Old 04-04-24, 12:42 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 203 Posts
A pair of Ride1Up Portolas would fit the bill. I have an ongoing review thread in another forum, here: https://ebikesforum.com/threads/ride...a-thread.5915/

It folds, has lights, rack and a low step-through for when you get older and can't swing the leg as high.

Lectric also makes some good and affordable models:

XP Lite - is (relatively) lightweight at 46 lbs. and is a single speed. I have one of these, it's great. Review thread here: https://ebikesforum.com/threads/lect...w-thread.2712/

XP 3.0 is not as light, at 64 lbs., but is a 7-speed and has a higher top speed as well. There is a step-over and a step through available with this model. I was considering this, but went with the Portola instead, as I liked its lighter weight and lower low gear, in case I run out of juice and have to pedal home.

The eBikes that look like your old 10-speed are going to be more expensive and less practical. I think they start around $4k, as JLDickman says above.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-06-24, 06:47 AM
H0GWILD

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You all are so kind. We are going to 2 local bike shops soon.
Likes For H0GWILD:
Old 04-06-24, 07:42 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 77 Posts
We're older and just did the same research for the same reasons (Her keeping up with me on speed/distance on both road and light trail.)

Close to that price range we looked at Trek Dual Sport +2 at $2,400.

Ended up at the complete other end of the spectrum under "buy once, cry once." Yesterday she got a Santa Cruz Skitch (Apex Flatbar model) for $6k.
Likes For MaxKatt: