Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Activesport/Mark Anthony Bikes - Avoid

Old 08-06-19, 08:00 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Activesport/Mark Anthony Bikes - Avoid

Decided it might not be a bad idea to have a spare integrated seat clamp wedge for my bike.

Googled around, found the part a few places. Activesport was the cheapest, at 26.24 British pounds.

I went to their site, added it to my cart, and just tried a coupon code on a whim - ACTIVE5. It worked, first one I tried, total guess. Lucky me! I then tried ACTIVE10 and ACTIVE15, which didn't work, so I went back to ACTIVE5, got a whopping 1.31 pound discount, and ordered the part.

Couple days go by, and I get an email from Activesport:

Originally Posted by Active Sport
Hi

We do not recognize the 5% discount voucher with this order can you please forward how you was sent this discount voucher. Thanks
I reply and just tell them their site accepted it and if it wasn't valid, their site wouldn't/shouldn't have accepted it, so...

Couple days go by, and I get the following email this morning:

Originally Posted by Activesport
The site has not accepted it voucher codes are only ever given out to returning customers or customers who have reached a certain amount spent with us. Hence the email as the site has rejected to process the order we have cancelled the order and card authorization
I mean, how petty can these people be? They go out of their way to challenge a potential first time customer over a valid discount code that their own site accepted, for a grand total discount of 1.31 pounds, and then just canceled the order? They should've just honored the lousy tiny discount rather than going out of their way to challenge a customer about it, when their own junk site accepted it. And then to lie and say the code wasn't accepted? It clearly was. I mean, they didn't even offer to process the order keeping their precious extra 1.31 pounds, no, they just canceled it. So I'll never do business with them again, and I'll make sure to remember that experience and share it in the hopes that eventually they fold up shop for being such crap. I can't believe these places still don't understand the power of the internet and how quickly their reputation can turn to absolute trash when deserved.

Go ahead and cancel the order on a whim, hopefully their petty greed over 1.31 pounds causes them to lose far more business.

I mean what am I to think? I find a part, guess a code for a teeny tiny discount, it works, the site accepts it, I order the part, they challenge me about it, and end up canceling the order altogether. How poor does that look?

Last edited by puma1552; 08-06-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 02:51 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552

I mean what am I to think? I find a part, guess a code for a teeny tiny discount, it works, the site accepts it, I order the part, they challenge me about it, and end up canceling the order altogether. How poor does that look?
Maybe try Googling "shoplifting", or maybe "fraud". Might give you some insight towards their feelings about being lied to.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 08-06-19, 03:05 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Maybe try Googling "shoplifting", or maybe "fraud". Might give you some insight towards their feelings about being lied to.
I never lied to them. I don't know where you got that idea from.
Old 08-06-19, 03:18 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You're mad at the retailer because your scam didn't work?
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-06-19, 03:24 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by tyrion
You're mad at the retailer because your scam didn't work?
Guessing a coupon code is a scam?

Maybe if they cared so much about protecting their big bad 1 pound discounts, they would've used an alphanumeric code, not the ******g name of the site followed by the discount percentage. You couldn't make it any more obvious.

Last edited by puma1552; 08-06-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 08:43 AM
chainstay
Peace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
So, they receive an order that has a Previous Customer discount code. They do an internal audit and discover that as a non previous customer, you don't qualify for the Previous Customer discount and they cancel your order.

Could they have asked you if you want to move forward with the transaction at the non discount price? Sure.

But maybe, after talking to you, they have decided that you aren't a customer that they want to deal with.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with this.
Likes For chainstay:
Old 09-11-19, 04:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,927 Times in 4,667 Posts
If the discount is so small that the seller should have honored it (even though you didn't deserve it), how is it so large that it merits the big fuss you're making over it?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-12-19, 04:23 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If the discount is so small that the seller should have honored it (even though you didn't deserve it), how is it so large that it merits the big fuss you're making over it?
Game, set and MATCH
Likes For nomadmax: