Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 09:58 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
There were 23 dudes in the 35-39 crit? 23? Really? That's...a shame. They oughta reduce some categories or something. The reg. numbers look pretty sad for a national championship.
The Masters 35+, or 35-39 field at Nationals, is IMO, a pretty soft field all around. At that age, the best guys still race 1-2/pro. The 40+ guys tend to be a lot faster -- no longer willing to bang shoulders with the pro's but still really strong and into racing bikes. Some of them have a lot of time and money on their hands, or maybe they're having a midlife crisis. But in terms of numbers, it seemed lower all around this year. Maybe some have been scared off by the number of crashes in the last couple of years.
Old 06-17-18, 10:36 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
There were 23 dudes in the 35-39 crit? 23? Really? That's...a shame. They oughta reduce some categories or something. The reg. numbers look pretty sad for a national championship.
Yeah. The 35-39 group is usually one of the smallest.

But the results sheet doesn't seem to show everyone; The 40-44 crit had 57 pre-reg'd, but only 40 listed in the results..

And there are like one million categories. That's a lot of champions!

my race videos
Old 06-17-18, 11:13 PM
mattm
**** that

Did the 40-44 championship crit today. I didn't win.

Felt decent, considering the heat (95+), humidity, and other sundry excuses. Stayed up front, or tried to.

Attacked on the backside, tried to get a gap, did (briefly), but then was stuck on the front with a super high heart rate and a match still burning. Came out of the last corner 3rd wheel, but pretty much went backwards from there. Shoulda waited, but oh well. I tried!

my race videos
Old 06-17-18, 11:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
You had a plan it just didn't work out. Also, that announcer sounded like he said Mac McCool which is the coolest name ever....
Old 06-18-18, 12:07 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by furiousferret
You had a plan it just didn't work out. Also, that announcer sounded like he said Mac McCool which is the coolest name ever....
My last name almost always gets mispronounced.. part of my master plan was to correct Dave Towle on the podium, I just never made it there!
Old 06-18-18, 06:23 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
The Masters 35+, or 35-39 field at Nationals, is IMO, a pretty soft field all around. At that age, the best guys still race 1-2/pro. The 40+ guys tend to be a lot faster -- no longer willing to bang shoulders with the pro's but still really strong and into racing bikes. Some of them have a lot of time and money on their hands, or maybe they're having a midlife crisis. But in terms of numbers, it seemed lower all around this year. Maybe some have been scared off by the number of crashes in the last couple of years.
Numbers overall seemed really down this year. Maybe because it's the second year in Augusta.

When I did it in Winston-Salem two years ago, there were 65-70 in the 35-39 field and the 40 and 45 fields sold out at 125 or 150. The 50 and 55 fields also had about 100 registrants. Though that year, many people in later fields dropped out of the crit after seeing the bloodshed in the earlier races.
Old 06-18-18, 06:57 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Numbers overall seemed really down this year. Maybe because it's the second year in Augusta.

When I did it in Winston-Salem two years ago, there were 65-70 in the 35-39 field and the 40 and 45 fields sold out at 125 or 150. The 50 and 55 fields also had about 100 registrants. Though that year, many people in later fields dropped out of the crit after seeing the bloodshed in the earlier races.
I was also surprised by the difference between the number of riders riding just the RR but not the criterium considering that the course didn't have any significant climbs.

Even day to day, I'm thinking the heat really got to a number of riders. A friend of mine was done after 1 lap of the road race and then ended up going home even though the was registered for the crit.

Last edited by tobukog; 06-18-18 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-18-18, 10:02 AM
furiousferret

Its becoming more of niche sport. New racers aren't refreshing the Masters field and its starting to show now at the highest levels. There's a lot of stuff USA Cycling could do but its run by people who were elite before they were an adult and making it appealing to adults entering the sport isn't even in their purview.
Old 06-18-18, 02:13 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

My last name almost always gets mispronounced.. part of my master plan was to correct Dave Towle on the podium, I just never made it there!
it's not "McCool?"
Old 06-18-18, 04:54 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Raced in Maryland over the weekend. 3 observations.

1. MABRA summer is truly, absurdly hot.
2. There is decent elevation gain to be had in races, but all the elevation gain comes in 30 second snips.
3. Half the riders look like they could bench press a small car, and all the riders look like they open jars without issue. There is more bicep to be found in one mabra race than can be found in all of the northeast (NYC being the exception).
Old 06-18-18, 06:49 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Raced in Maryland over the weekend. 3 observations.

1. MABRA summer is truly, absurdly hot.
2. There is decent elevation gain to be had in races, but all the elevation gain comes in 30 second snips.
3. Half the riders look like they could bench press a small car, and all the riders look like they open jars without issue. There is more bicep to be found in one mabra race than can be found in all of the northeast (NYC being the exception).
Which race did you do? I was at the Tour of Washington County. I agree with 1,2 and part of 3. There are still some skinny guys here. Having lived in SF for 10 years I was used to 6k elevation in a 60 mile ride coming 3k at a time. Here I can do it but the biggest elevation change is like 250 ft. Nothing is flat.
Old 06-18-18, 07:10 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Indeed, ToWC. The road race was really rad, but I was NOT prepared for that heat, the sun is straight violent. I really enjoyed the area and I'd def come back to visit and ride for fun. Also, why don't you guys use the bigger mountains for racing?!
Old 06-18-18, 07:44 PM
mattm
**** that

wait you race masters now??
Old 06-19-18, 03:12 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
raced the p12 field at harlem on sunday. my first race at this level (usa crits). it was rad. didn't really have any expectations going into it, but was able to move around the field and was much more comfortable than I expected. positioned poorly at the end and got crashed out (didn't go down, but my rear brake got hit and shoved off center such that I had to get off and re center it) with 2 to go. great experience though, i'm glad I did it. not nearly as sketchy as people said and most the sketchiness could be avoided if they used flat footed barriers.
Old 06-19-18, 05:57 AM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Indeed, ToWC. The road race was really rad, but I was NOT prepared for that heat, the sun is straight violent. I really enjoyed the area and I'd def come back to visit and ride for fun. Also, why don't you guys use the bigger mountains for racing?!
The gravel made the road race completely different that last year. It definitely turned it up a notch. That was nothing compared to the slip and slide addition to corner 3 on the crit. That corner is hard enough without adding the water in. I had to unclip and put a foot down with 5 to go when the guy in front of me went down. Thankfully got back on quickly because everyone had to go so slow through it.

This was the first weekend of real heat and believe it or not it was worse last year. Temp was over 100 for the crit. The area is great for riding, the climby races are usually in southeastern PA or down in VA. I've only been here 3 years, but I think it's just too far to get to the mountains for the population centers of MD.

Next time your decide to race in the area, send me a message.
Old 06-19-18, 08:06 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Ygduf
it's not "McCool?"
bro.. do you even Mikul bro?
Old 06-19-18, 08:06 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by mike868y
raced the p12 field at harlem on sunday. my first race at this level (usa crits). it was rad. didn't really have any expectations going into it, but was able to move around the field and was much more comfortable than I expected. positioned poorly at the end and got crashed out (didn't go down, but my rear brake got hit and shoved off center such that I had to get off and re center it) with 2 to go. great experience though, i'm glad I did it. not nearly as sketchy as people said and most the sketchiness could be avoided if they used flat footed barriers.
that’s awesome man!
Old 06-19-18, 08:18 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by ntnyln
The gravel made the road race completely different that last year. It definitely turned it up a notch. That was nothing compared to the slip and slide addition to corner 3 on the crit. That corner is hard enough without adding the water in. I had to unclip and put a foot down with 5 to go when the guy in front of me went down. Thankfully got back on quickly because everyone had to go so slow through it.

This was the first weekend of real heat and believe it or not it was worse last year. Temp was over 100 for the crit. The area is great for riding, the climby races are usually in southeastern PA or down in VA. I've only been here 3 years, but I think it's just too far to get to the mountains for the population centers of MD.

Next time your decide to race in the area, send me a message.
The crit seemed really cool, but it was my first one of the year, and the water covered algae was a bit too Mario Kart for me. I opted to be OTB after seeing crashes happen there the first few laps.

Will def shoot you a msg the next time I'm down there!
Old 06-23-18, 11:46 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Made some corrections based on last week. Another ten mile TT on the same course. Shed 30 seconds on less watts which put me in second. The winner, who beat me by 90 seconds last week, only had me by thirty seconds today. Baby steps.
Old 06-25-18, 11:44 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Yesterday I raced (Ladera Ranch GP cat 2/3) and lost. I took off for a couple laps solo in the middle and at least won some cash so I got my race entry back.

The last few laps felt like a cat 4 race. It was too slow. There was not enough team presence/participation and no designated riders to keep it fast and prevent it from fanning out and swarming before the corners. Someone dive-bombed me with 3 corners to go (I was in good position) and made me grab a bunch of brake, losing momentum and pushing me wayyy back. That's all she wrote.

Next time!
Old 06-25-18, 12:13 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Yesterday I raced (Ladera Ranch GP cat 2/3) and lost. I took off for a couple laps solo in the middle and at least won some cash so I got my race entry back.

The last few laps felt like a cat 4 race. It was too slow. There was not enough team presence/participation and no designated riders to keep it fast and prevent it from fanning out and swarming before the corners. Someone dive-bombed me with 3 corners to go (I was in good position) and made me grab a bunch of brake, losing momentum and pushing me wayyy back. That's all she wrote.

Next time!
The end of that race was dumb and frustrating. Every time I tried to go to the front and try to gain time on the break, someone would almost crash or do something else stupid right next to me, and then the field would be fanned out with no room to pass. Also pissed at myself because I was up the road when two of the guys that would form the winning break were bridging up, and the guys I was otf with slowed up to let them catch, but of course they blew by way faster than us. Should have just stayed on the gas. I tried to latch on for a minute, but when I got to the headwind section I was fading and gave up. Should have known that would be the move and should have given it my all to close the gap, then sat on for a couple mins.

Anyway, I also just attacked way too much early on and burned a ton of matches, even though I was sore from the P12 earlier. Seems like I'm just throwing caution to the wind lately and not thinking about the result. Sorry @TMonk, I should have stuck in the field and helped out more.

The P12 was hard. I got away for a 3/4 lap flyer for a $100 prime, so that was cool, but then I paid for it with fatigue. Two strong teammates were doing well and going on some good attacks, but I was pretty useless and had trouble getting to the head of the race just from how strung out it would get. Need to get out of survival mode and start riding smart.
Old 06-25-18, 12:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Ha no worries @wktmeow! You had raced the P/1/2 a little earlier so no hard feelings, and thanks for the good intentions. I need to get some more points so I can join you guys!
Old 06-25-18, 03:04 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by TMonk

Next time!
I'm the only one on my team that hasn't broken their collarbone at Ladera Ranch; there's a reason I skip it.
Old 06-25-18, 03:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

It's a neat course though! That last turn is a little bit narrow however...
Old 06-25-18, 04:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Did Nevada City M35+3/4/5. It's a race I've never done well in. I've never been a good climber and I'm 10lbs heavier than I planned to be this time of the season. My goals were to 1) not crash; 2) not finish DFL; and 3) top 10. Managed the first two. 12/13.

In past years I've always tried to stay with the front group as long as possible and then blow up. This year decided to ride my pace from the start and then pick off guys who did what I usually do. Came down the hill on the first lap sitting a few meters behind the bunch, and then as we go into the 90 degree turn at the bottom, the guy to my inside locks up his brakes and keeps going straight so I am stuck going straight too. For a second I thought we were going into the hay bales. He manages to stay upright and out of the bales, I manage the same, but now I've lost all momentum and the group rides away. Great.

Next few laps I'm pretty tentative in that corner but I finally get comfortable on the 4th or 5th lap. At this point, I'm just trying to finish and not get lapped more than once and to not die of heat stroke. Did I mention it was 100F?

Oh, well. It's a great race, a true classic, and I'm glad to support it even if I'll never do well in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.