Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Changes attributable to Velo-Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 06:41 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

Velo-Commuting, that's fancy talk for riding my bike to work.

What I have noticed after three weeks...
A poop-load more energy.
My legs hurt.
I can BREATH!
My heart feels better (don't ask me how I know... I just know).
My legs look more like my legs again.
I'm hungry, but fill up on less food. I also find I crave different food - less salt, less sugar, more meet and veggies.
Also, there is some mood improvement (not at work, that would be crazy, but in the real world I'm happier)

Weird...
Likes For ironnerd:
Old 04-28-19, 07:30 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Great that you're enjoying the changes. I must tell you, though, that it won't always feel this way. But enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 04-29-19, 09:45 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Eventually, it'll all just become "normal".
I'm okay with that.

When I was velo-commuting before, I generally felt good. My wife liked my butt, and the lady at the Red Cross checked my blood pressure and raised and eyebrow.
"You exercise?" she asked.
"I ride a bike to work."
"Good for you, Baby." (also nice to be late forties and having a woman other than my wife call me "Baby").

Also, it looks like the price of gas is going to go up again, so I can enjoy whining of my SUV-driving co-workers. I clean my chain with their tears
Likes For ironnerd:
Old 04-29-19, 10:29 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Feels good. Maybe not always in the moment, but on balance, bike-commuting helps me feel better in a lot of ways and I miss it if I can't.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-29-19, 12:24 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
It's not surprising that getting exercise consistently everyday would do you body and mind some good. Your body will adjust to the new normal eventually, and if you do it long enough you'll forget how it feels to not do it. Kinda like brushing your teeth everyday.
Old 04-29-19, 01:09 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
I clean my chain with their tears
Salt - bad for chain!
Likes For madpogue:
Old 04-29-19, 01:37 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Yeah, if you don't get a lot of exercise off the bike commuting can make a big difference in fitness. Hopefully you'll be inspired to seek fitness also off the bike as cycling isn't a well-rounded workout, but bike commuting is a great low-intensity low stress exercise. Like taking a brisk walk or a jog. Good on you, baby. ;-)
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 05-07-19, 02:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
My fingernails grow faster. I don't have any hard and fast data (or proof of causation), but they seriously need to be cut every week now, seems like before it was less than half that.

I put it down to increased blood flow.
Old 05-08-19, 12:41 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
My fingernails grow faster. I don't have any hard and fast data (or proof of causation), but they seriously need to be cut every week now, seems like before it was less than half that.

I put it down to increased blood flow.
Could it be increased sunlight? Vitamin D is involved in making hair and fingernails.

I'm noticing I'm 5 pant sizes smaller.
Old 05-08-19, 01:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Lycanthropy?
Old 05-08-19, 01:18 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^^ Only if it's accompanied by increased facial hair growth.
Old 05-08-19, 01:21 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ Only if it's accompanied by increased facial hair growth.
I thought that was caused by recumbents.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-08-19, 01:31 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
my observation after resuming my work commute after the winter: muscles right above my knees feel torn. I feel like a rag doll when walking up and down the stairs. :-)

P.S. my commute is 21 miles one way with 1200 feet elevation gain.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 05-08-19, 01:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Korina
Could it be increased sunlight? Vitamin D is involved in making hair and fingernails.

I'm noticing I'm 5 pant sizes smaller.
Interesting maybe the sunlight is it more than the blood flow.

After 6 years of near-full-time bike commuting 11mi rt, my pants are about the same. But then again so is the amount of food I stuff in my pie hole.
Old 05-08-19, 03:36 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Interesting maybe the sunlight is it more than the blood flow.

After 6 years of near-full-time bike commuting 11mi rt, my pants are about the same. But then again so is the amount of food I stuff in my pie hole.
I eat WAY more bike commuting full time, but I would lose another 15 and a pants size if I ate well.
Old 05-08-19, 04:05 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

The only difference is the cycling; my diet is still not the best. I can tell because I only went down one shirt size.

How do you tell the difference between taking it easy after a month (after a winter) off the bike and HTFU? This is my first week back, and I decided to try two rides, bus one, two rides, bus one, etc. So Monday I bused in and rode home, Tuesday I rode in and bused home, this morning I rode in and should ride home, but my legs felt like lead this morning and I couldn't go up to my usual gear. I also have a lazy streak a mile wide and will take any excuse to take the bus, like today's 9+ mph headwind. It's a flat 8 miles, but I seem unable to take it easy; possibly the fast-moving traffic next to me is an influence. Opinions?
Old 05-08-19, 04:14 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Yeah, if you don't get a lot of exercise off the bike commuting can make a big difference in fitness. Hopefully you'll be inspired to seek fitness also off the bike as cycling isn't a well-rounded workout, but bike commuting is a great low-intensity low stress exercise. Like taking a brisk walk or a jog. Good on you, baby. ;-)
My commute is 19 miles each way. My average heart rate is 136... That's a lot of jogging.
Old 05-08-19, 04:24 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

But do you notice a difference in what you eat? When I'm not riding, I start craving healthy foods like chips and Doritos. When I am riding, I crave beans, hard (I'm vegetarian). I also notice that while I eat the same, less comes out the other end; guess my body's using more of its fuel.
Old 05-08-19, 05:17 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Naw, I'm just a pig whether I ride or not. I always want to eat all the things.
Old 05-08-19, 06:14 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by starkmojo
My commute is 19 miles each way. My average heart rate is 136... That's a lot of jogging.
The individual commuter sets the pace. My commute is 12 miles each way, and an hour door to door unless it’s really windy. I seldom arrive very sweaty (unless it’s hot), and never winded. I roll about 15-17mph no wind, and it’s about like a brisk walk. Most folks can achieve this. I’m a pack a day smoker with a bum leg.
Old 05-08-19, 06:32 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Korina
The only difference is the cycling; my diet is still not the best. I can tell because I only went down one shirt size.

How do you tell the difference between taking it easy after a month (after a winter) off the bike and HTFU? This is my first week back, and I decided to try two rides, bus one, two rides, bus one, etc. So Monday I bused in and rode home, Tuesday I rode in and bused home, this morning I rode in and should ride home, but my legs felt like lead this morning and I couldn't go up to my usual gear. I also have a lazy streak a mile wide and will take any excuse to take the bus, like today's 9+ mph headwind. It's a flat 8 miles, but I seem unable to take it easy; possibly the fast-moving traffic next to me is an influence. Opinions?
I rode through this last winter but took the previous winter off. I think it’s common for the body to take a few weeks. Without knowing you, I’d say if you have the bus option and aren’t afraid to use it, just take your time and ease your body back into commuting, ride only when it’s nice outside, etc. Reminding myself that I’m riding to work is usually enough to slow me down.
Old 05-08-19, 09:24 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

The individual commuter sets the pace. My commute is 12 miles each way, and an hour door to door unless it’s really windy. I seldom arrive very sweaty (unless it’s hot), and never winded. I roll about 15-17mph no wind, and it’s about like a brisk walk. Most folks can achieve this. I’m a pack a day smoker with a bum leg.
I average 14.5 MPH and its 400 feet ( with 200 feet loss) climbing one way and 600 the other. I am sweating when I get there because the point is to sweat. I keep a towel spare clothes and and a "shower stick" at work. When I find myself not sweating I pedal harder. So far I am down 60 lbs.

I quit smoking a year ago- its easier to work hard now and I highly recommend it.
Old 05-08-19, 09:44 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

I average 14.5 MPH and its 400 feet ( with 200 feet loss) climbing one way and 600 the other. I am sweating when I get there because the point is to sweat. I keep a towel spare clothes and and a "shower stick" at work. When I find myself not sweating I pedal harder. So far I am down 60 lbs.

I quit smoking a year ago- its easier to work hard now and I highly recommend it.
Great job! You must feel very satisfied with achieving your goals.
Old 05-08-19, 10:05 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Great job! You must feel very satisfied with achieving your goals.
well halfway anyway. Another 45 to go. But yeah it does feel better not carrying a large sack of potatoes around my waste. One more sack of taters to go.

My first ride after a long hiatus was Jan 2018. I was done after two miles. My point is that biking as a workout is what you make of it. If you cruise along at 10-12 MPH its a brisk walk. If you hit every hill like it killed your dog it isnt a bad way to get some aerobics in every day. It helps that we have this thing called "topography" in Oregon... you guys in Indiana have heard of that haven't you?
Old 05-08-19, 10:49 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

well halfway anyway. Another 45 to go. But yeah it does feel better not carrying a large sack of potatoes around my waste. One more sack of taters to go.

My first ride after a long hiatus was Jan 2018. I was done after two miles. My point is that biking as a workout is what you make of it. If you cruise along at 10-12 MPH its a brisk walk. If you hit every hill like it killed your dog it isnt a bad way to get some aerobics in every day. It helps that we have this thing called "topography" in Oregon... you guys in Indiana have heard of that haven't you?
No, I’ve never even heard the word.

Sounds like cycling in Oregon has made a real beast of a man out of you. I’m real sorry about your dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.