Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Converting 24" BMX to a bar/brewery bike?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 07-12-19, 09:04 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

I have a new Intense BMX frame/fork I bought originally to build up for a nephew but he wasn't into bikes so it's been in a box in my garage since then. I thought about building it up with basic components to ride to breweries that are in my city.

I know very little about BMX and a little confused by the particular sizing/specs. I think the frame is for 24" wheels, so it's a "pro" frame? Don't know about the top tube length. Another thing I'm confused about is the bottom bracket, I'm assuming I can use an external bearing bottom bracket? Also, the handlebars. Different ones for the various frame sizes? Oh, one more thing - gearing? Do I get a 2 to 1 set up?

Is it not cool to have a regular saddle height or do I have to pedal from a lower saddle? I'm not going to be racing, stunting or jumping (except for curbs). I'm 47 yo. thanks
Old 07-13-19, 07:41 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
I don't know from shinola about these things either, but the questions about saddle height caught my attention. I'm thinking these are typically very small frames, which may make it difficult to rig for "regular saddle height" (or am I confusing these bikes with the aerial trick bikes?). What's the frame's C-T measurement, and how tall are you? And I would think, whether it's "cool" or not, that you would not want to pedal the thing around in their traditional set-up ( the saddle way down low), because that's just a miserable riding position. I'm curious as to how long a seat post you'd need to make it a regular cruiser.