Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 06-14-19, 06:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This story of DF sounds a lot like Serenity:

- A pretty good product on paper/website.
- The early products were nice...when quality was good.
- Bad products slipped through the crack when demand increased.
- Poor communication from the company.

My guess is that the DF supplier/manufacturer overseas did great work early in the relationship and started to relax and cut corners as the relationship went on.

(I could be totally wrong. This is just speculation.)
Old 06-14-19, 06:42 PM
JuiceWillis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
This story of DF sounds a lot like Serenity:

- A pretty good product on paper/website.
- The early products were nice...when quality was good.
- Bad products slipped through the crack when demand increased.
- Poor communication from the company.

My guess is that the DF supplier/manufacturer overseas did great work early in the relationship and started to relax and cut corners as the relationship went on.

(I could be totally wrong. This is just speculation.)
I think you might be right, so the owner of the company has to OWN the mistakes made, not treat them like they are not a big deal. For instance, I was told that the 105mm spaced fork would "be fine" for now!! I don't know about you, but if you have ever tried to install a wheel where the spacing is off by a full 5mm, the fork bends. Like I said, they did give me a heads up on the fork, and that I would get a new one (but with no timetable). The drop out inserts though I thought I was the most incompetent bike mechanic of all time, I tried 4 different wheels and none would clear the axle. That is when I measured them, one was 10mm, the other was bent and only had a 9mm opening. I had to send multiple pictures and was at first treated like I must be an idiot. To tell me I am getting new plates overnight shipped and then getting used ones 4 days later was just flat out not following through on a promise. When I told DF I did not trust the frame, I was told over and over "we stress test these frames rigorously." Well, how am I supposed to believe that? Like I said there is even more to this story. I saved every email and picture in the event that I did not get a refund. Its a damn shame because this was THE frame that would fit me nearly perfectly. TT length, reach, stack were all literally spot on to what my fitter wanted.
Old 06-20-19, 07:22 AM
benjovland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Does anyone know why 285m tracks were en vogue from the 60s-80s? Examples would be the Montreal Olympic Velodrome, the Silverdome in Tasmania, the '72 Olympic velodrome in Munich, etc. I can only find a small reference suggesting that 285m was a popular distance for motor-paced events. Just curious.
Old 06-20-19, 08:41 PM
taras0000

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by benjovland View Post
Does anyone know why 285m tracks were en vogue from the 60s-80s? Examples would be the Montreal Olympic Velodrome, the Silverdome in Tasmania, the '72 Olympic velodrome in Munich, etc. I can only find a small reference suggesting that 285m was a popular distance for motor-paced events. Just curious.
Makes it spectator friendly. It's 3.5 laps to a kilometer. It allowed kilos and match sprints to start on the back straight. This only works for odd km distance events. Even number km distance events start and finish on the home straight.

Many motorpaced events would have the riders start on the rail of the back straight with the motos riding down low. They would ride neutral "parade" km to make sure the group was together and up to speed when the gun went off. It also gave the crowd a chance to "see" the team's before the race started.

Last edited by taras0000; 06-20-19 at 08:45 PM.
Likes For taras0000:
Old 06-29-19, 09:27 PM
jeffmendoza

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my first pair of cycling shoes: Pearl Izumi Tour lace-ups. I decided to try a pair of slotted cleats to try out with the clips-and-straps pedals I already have, so I got the Yoshida Champ cleats. It looks like the curve of the cleats is more than the bottom of the shoes? (see pic link) Is this something I should be worried about? Do I need to find some kind of shim? Thanks!
https://imgur.com/a/gfwFxoU
Old 06-30-19, 04:37 AM
taras0000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffmendoza View Post
Just got my first pair of cycling shoes: Pearl Izumi Tour lace-ups. I decided to try a pair of slotted cleats to try out with the clips-and-straps pedals I already have, so I got the Yoshida Champ cleats. It looks like the curve of the cleats is more than the bottom of the shoes? (see pic link) Is this something I should be worried about? Do I need to find some kind of shim? Thanks!
https://imgur.com/a/gfwFxoU
You'll be fine to just bolt them on. This is a common occurrence with slotted cleats, as no two shoes have the EXACT same sole curvature.
Likes For taras0000:
Old 07-18-19, 06:35 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
I think that they are old (produced in 1991) and may be subject to fatigue, delamination, or other issues. If you have one, check it over thoroughly before using. If you are considering buying one, I'd spend that money elsewhere.
...piggy backing off this question. I have an older rear Zipp Firecrest 808 road clincher, 20 spoke count. Is it possible to rebuild the wheel for track? If so what hub?
Old 07-19-19, 08:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 37 Posts
You may have some trouble finding a 20h rear track hub.

Also, I'm not sure that would be a solid build for track racing.
Old 07-19-19, 01:06 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^Agreed, that's pretty low spoke count for a rear. You could have White or one of the other "bespoke" places drill you a one if you really wanted it, but no easy off the shelf solutions that I know of.

You could re-lace it as a 20 spoke front
Old 07-21-19, 06:57 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
You may have some trouble finding a 20h rear track hub.

Also, I'm not sure that would be a solid build for track racing.
Found one! Miche 20H. Sneaky little sucker. Only a few out there. Yeah, definitely not for the track, but for training and riding on the road.
Old 07-21-19, 07:00 PM
krispenhartung

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Morelock View Post
^Agreed, that's pretty low spoke count for a rear. You could have White or one of the other "bespoke" places drill you a one if you really wanted it, but no easy off the shelf solutions that I know of.

You could re-lace it as a 20 spoke front
Like an adult pusher bike. I know some guys who should be riding those. Ha ha.
Old 07-21-19, 07:08 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not sure if you folks realize, but the Mavic Ellipse set is 16 front and 20 rear.
Old 08-02-19, 11:31 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Random Tubular (glue) question

Do/Have any of you guys store your glue in the condiment dispenser bottles? I have seen a couple of team mechanics that use that method, but I wonder if the glue won't solidify when stored (I glue tubes...but not THAT many tubes ) in a plastic container.
Old 08-02-19, 01:46 PM
topflightpro

Iíd guess they are going through a lot more glue than you, so it isnít drying out as they use and refill.

But it maybe try it and put Saran wrap over the bottle then screw on the top over it to try to seal it up.

Let us us know how it works.
Old 08-04-19, 05:35 AM
Minion1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the team mechanics dilute the tubular glue to make it easier to apply, which would make it liquid enough to use a condiment bottle to dispense. With what I don't know, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't reduce how well the glue works.
Old 08-04-19, 07:02 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1 View Post
I think the team mechanics dilute the tubular glue to make it easier to apply, which would make it liquid enough to use a condiment bottle to dispense. With what I don't know, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't reduce how well the glue works.
I'm not a chemist, so don't try this, but my first guess would be some sort of thing with a low vapor pressure so once applied it quickly evaporates leaving just the glue.
Old 08-07-19, 09:03 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im just about to pull the trigger on an adaptor for my 2014 wahoo kickr that would allow it to run fixed gearing and fit 120mm spacing so i can mount my track bike on it. Im sure i have read other peoples posts on here looking for similar things so i will post the link below.

Im pretty sure that having fixed gear for my smart trainer workouts would be beneficial for my training, especially with the flywheel simulating momentum and teh ability to keep fit the same between trainng and on track- but is there any reason i should be wary of using fixed on a smart trainer? I.e chance for injury, component damage, just not worth it, just use rollers instead etc etc). I do use rollers but its good to have the ability to do structured training with different resistances rather without having to change cogs mid session.

The adaptor is this one - pricey but looks great quality and the guy that runs the company is very helpful and quick to reply to enquiries.

https://www.velobike.co.nz/wahoo-adaptor

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 08-07-19, 10:25 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Wow, $200 US.
Old 08-10-19, 11:27 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
I'm not a chemist, so don't try this, but my first guess would be some sort of thing with a low vapor pressure so once applied it quickly evaporates leaving just the glue.
I remember reading that mechanics would add paint thinner.
Old 08-11-19, 05:52 AM
Minion1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard the paint thinner idea as well, which put me off using it since thinners are usually solvents and to my, fairly basic mind mixing a glue with a solvent didn't sound like a good idea. They might flash off ok leaving a good bond but I din't want to be the test dummy for a bit of extra convenience.
Old 08-16-19, 05:52 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Anybody seen how straps are attached to LOOK pedals? I know the French team uses them but I've never seen this close up. Weighing up my options for after these VPs wear out, which might be soon, and they seem unobtainable now.
Old 08-16-19, 06:29 AM
topflightpro

I use zip ties for G-Race straps. I think I've seen Zip ties for NJS staps too.
Old 08-16-19, 06:30 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
Anybody seen how straps are attached to LOOK pedals? I know the French team uses them but I've never seen this close up. Weighing up my options for after these VPs wear out, which might be soon, and they seem unobtainable now.
Look-Keo ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling
Old 08-16-19, 06:51 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Excellent, thank for the link, Flatballer! I did not realize those were on that site.

This is exactly what I'm after:
Keo-metal-03

Anyone know where these alloy fittings can be found?
Old 08-16-19, 09:56 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I'm not surprised you couldn't find it. That site is... challenging to navigate, shall we say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.