Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Asking to join a ride in progress?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Asking to join a ride in progress?

Old 08-14-19, 01:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Anyhoo, if you're just going to hang back and not get any benefit of a draft, there's no reason to call out. You're just on the same road.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-14-19, 01:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
More like sprinting for the county line sign.
Wouldn't be surprised if it were both simultaneously.
Old 08-14-19, 02:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Oh, good! Let's all argue about the standard deviation from an unknown cyclist's average heart rate!

Wheeeee!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-14-19, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Synack42
I can believe it. They were following the water for the most part and everything in between is nothing but farms. Really, this part of the state is ridiculously flat. (It's a very scenic area at least!)

...I also envy the apparent 20 minute bakery stop...

I have a very strict 70 mile or more rule for allowing a bakery stop.
Old 08-14-19, 05:44 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Not to completely derail this thread, but I dusted off my vintage 27 1/4" steel rim/frame 10 speed franken-hybrid monstrosity... Apparently I am faster on a road bike... Maybe I can hang with the road guys?

Me today on a similar start and return route as theirs:

Versus one of theirs:
Old 08-14-19, 10:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
This might be an odd question, but would it be rude to ask to join a smaller group ride while they are already moving?

I'm more of a "lone wolf" cyclist, but I ride 15 miles daily and can do so in an hour, maybe even a couple minutes under. I've occasionally passed a group of riders going the opposite direction. They are definitely coordinated, wearing proper kit and all on road bikes…

Just wondering if shouting "Mind if I follow at a distance?" would be against road etiquette I guess... Would you find that rude or strange? I have a grasp of group hand signals and I wouldn't be doing it for drafting purposes -- Mainly just curious if I could keep up and hang with them.

...That and it would be really neat to find a local group to actually ride with.
As a solo cyclist, commuter and road, though I see pacelines in popular cycling areas I don’t make any attempt to join.

I rarely participate in (mass) organized rides with determined routes and distances, and I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Cycling event - what makes or breaks your participation?”

Personally, the only charity ride I have done is a local Century, that fits the above description, for Children’s Organizations sponsored by a well-known philanthropist I know personally. There is a minimal $ 1000 donation that I spilt with my organization, which is also a recipient of his generosity.

It's a well attended, festive affair; hockey legend Bobby Orr was the Honorary Chairman one year

I am nearly always a solo rider, but what enjoy about this ride is as a goal (Century) to attain...

Another benefit to me as a routinely solo rider is to ride in a paceline:
A basic advice is I keep in mind during the century is Ride my own pace,” in particular not too fast at the beginning, and ride the entire route at a pace comfortable for me.

Even when I pick up with another rider, I make it clear that’s my rule if our paces are not compatible. Another strategy on charity rides done by myself, is to start early and perhaps be picked up by a group riding at a suitable pace and ask to draft with them.

That adds a kick to my pace, but quite often I fall slightly behind at turning a corner, and its amazing how a slight drop behind can be impossible to catch-up, attesting to the value of drafting.

Also, you might catch-up to a slightly slower rider and draft him/her, and they could reciprocate, synergizing both of you. But always,“Ride your own pace.”
BTW, @Synack42, I note you post from Michigan, and showed a map of Lake St. Clair.

FYA, by way of introduction,
…Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston...
We still have family in in Macomb and Oakland counties, and when visiting, I bring a bike. In the past I have done some weekday group rides with the Clinton River Riders Bicycle Club. Check out their website; from my experience, and visit recently to their site, it’s an amenable and active group.
Old 08-15-19, 03:32 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Versus one of theirs:

Is this at Bonneville?

How the heck can you find 40 miles of riding with 26 feet of elevation??
Old 08-15-19, 07:46 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Is this at Bonneville?

How the heck can you find 40 miles of riding with 26 feet of elevation??
My vote is for Florida...
Old 08-15-19, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 55murray
My vote is for Florida...
Wrong. Read the thread. Different peninsula entirely.
Old 08-15-19, 08:22 AM
Synack42

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Heh, since there is so much interest in elevation here... I pulled up the rides from all four riders that posted it. All of them report different elevation changes (though the GPS route is identical):

26, 46, 92 and 223 feet are reported.
Old 08-15-19, 08:31 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Oh, good! Let's all argue about the standard deviation from an unknown cyclist's average heart rate!

Wheeeee!
Ok!
Old 08-15-19, 09:44 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The worst that could happen is they tell you no. Or, you join in at the back and they drop you.

I belong to a "club" which is more like a loose gathering of cyclists for a group ride once in a while, and everyone is welcome. If you asked us to join in, we'd welcome you.
Old 08-15-19, 10:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Depends on the group. I know most of the folks who train on the route near my neighborhood. If I see the blue Elevate/KHS jerseys, I know I can't hang with them long, even drafting. It's a pro team and even their "slow" rides would grind me up into paste (their weekly "recovery" ride is faster than I can manage on my best day at full gas). And I'd interfere with their paceline. At that level they know each other intuitively. A new person would probably mess up their training. Nice enough fellows, though. We wave in passing.

The club I hang out with has A and B group rides. The B group is very informal and welcomes anyone who wants to ride along. They only ask for the usual stuff -- competence, be careful, be respectful of other folks who use the MUP since we sometimes need to use the MUP to get from one public road to another, hold a line, call out significant hazards, etc. It's no-drop and there's rarely more than a few hundred yards separating the front and back of the group.

Pretty much the same with the A group. I haven't recovered my strength enough to hang with them for long, but they welcome new folks or occasional participants who aren't official members. Same basic policies -- ride safely. That group usually gets strung out over the miles so they have a few regroup points depending on the route and distance. But what usually happens on their longer rides is the group begins with 20-30 folks and as they get strung out over distance they'll form two or three ad hoc smaller groups to tow each other along. Works out fine.
Old 08-15-19, 01:56 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

Wheeeee!
We gotta argue about something! This isn't A&S!
Old 08-16-19, 09:58 PM
kq2dc7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'll stick to the single track mountain biking, to many rules on the group road rides. Hopefully I can get some descent money back on the road bike I just purchased.
Old 08-17-19, 04:05 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by kq2dc7
I'll stick to the single track mountain biking, to many rules on the group road rides. Hopefully I can get some descent money back on the road bike I just purchased.
You'll only get descent money back if you've done some climbing first.
Old 08-17-19, 05:15 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by kq2dc7
to many rules on the group road rides.
what rules does your group have that mine doesn’t? My group’s rules are, don’t cross the double yellow, don’t cross the wheel in front of you, and have fun. I don’t think that too many.
Old 08-17-19, 11:39 AM
ksryder

Well damn I've been doing it for free this whole time! No longer!
Old 08-17-19, 10:40 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Hahaha I love it.
Old 08-18-19, 08:15 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Group rides are hit or miss.
Some don't mind people tagging along while others are of the "We'll yell at you" variety.
Some groups welcome other riders while some do their own things.
It never hurts to ask.

I avoid group rides though as there is too much drama.The only group rides I do is with my wife on our tandem.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-19-19, 08:21 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
what rules does your group have that mine doesn’t? My group’s rules are, don’t cross the double yellow, don’t cross the wheel in front of you, and have fun. I don’t think that too many.
On my group rides there's also "know where you are in relation to others" and "communicate." I recently (Saturday actually) did a charity ride and the young fast guys were a mess. Not all buy any means but every time someone passed without announcing it was one of the aforementioned.
Old 08-19-19, 08:25 AM
ksryder

If getting passed somehow startles you and affects your handling, I would suggest the problem is not the person doing the passing.
Old 08-19-19, 09:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ksryder
If getting passed somehow startles you and affects your handling, I would suggest the problem is not the person doing the passing.
If people aren't announcing their passes, I don't think it's the startle that's the issue. If, for example, the last rider in the group starts to pass the second to last at the same time the second to last decides to move out to make a pass, that's likely a crash which could have been avoided if either had announced their intentions.
Old 08-19-19, 11:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I was thoroughly startled while touring back in June. Cold, rainy morning in Montana. Visibility not great. I was on a 70 mph road with a relatively narrow shoulder. Lots of up and downs. Worried about deer and even sheep coming out of the woods. (I had seen sheep on that road before, and if you have ever ridden on Montana you know that it's home to 6.20x10^23 deer, and that they like to run in front of cyclists and cars.) Totally concentrating on my surrounding and avoiding trouble when some jack *** I learned later was part of an organized buzzes me and yells something just as his mouth is parallel with my left ear. The really dumb thing about his actions is that if I had to suddenly swerve left to avoid a hoary marmot or some other critter and collide with him, I would have been the semi and he the Miyata. I and my loaded bike are going to win that battle every time.
Old 08-19-19, 11:34 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
On my group rides there's also "know where you are in relation to others" and "communicate." I recently (Saturday actually) did a charity ride and the young fast guys were a mess. Not all buy any means but every time someone passed without announcing it was one of the aforementioned.
If people on the ride can be counted on to hold their line then there shouldn't be any need to announce a pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.