Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Non-folding 20" inch wheel commuter?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-17-16, 07:59 AM
Antone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I thought I'd ask here aside more so for those that like smaller wheeled bikes, wondering if anyone know of any bikes that are 20" wheels that are designed as commuters or upright riding? I found a LBS that sold one below however they've been discontinued, I believe it was based on the fixed frame Raleigh Twenty

Urbanite 20something - Urbane Cyclist Bicycle Store | Toronto M5T 1R9

I do have a BF Tikit that I love. But I just like the idea of having a fixed frame small wheeled commuter.
Old 08-17-16, 08:08 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Antone
... wondering if anyone know of any bikes that are 20" wheels that are designed as commuters or upright riding? ...
You might look for a used Giant Revive. See:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US...yle/600/28460/
They are heavy (~45 lbs.), but VERY adjustable. I had one for four years (between the 1964 Moulton 4-Speed that was my primary bicycle for 40 years and my first Dahon Speed P8) while I was recovering from some back, neck and shoulder issues.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 08-17-16, 08:17 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is the Cannondale Hooligan

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-...FRI6GwodmlEChA

Last edited by Diode100; 08-17-16 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 08:33 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
No USA shipping,...bummer!!!

All I found was the Respect Cycles minivelo. It's cromo steel, and everyone who gets it says nothing but good things about it.

Respect Cycles, Innovative bikes, for The Urban Environment.
Old 08-17-16, 09:26 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
+1 Respect minivelo. Excellent pricing, quality steel, and now they have one with a couple gears as well as a fixie. They look great, too.
Old 08-17-16, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Bike Friday Travel Bikes are actually made to pack in a small case. to fly where you wish to cycletour.

Not Fold several times a day.

Minivelos are popular in Asia because they take up less room in their small houses .

Buyers, there, are, predominantly not tall, so frame sizes made don't run very Big.
Old 08-17-16, 04:38 PM
thugpipe

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have owned a number of stateside available mini velo bikes and i love them! today you have a few options:

the respect mini velo: Cromo frame/fork single speed $369 + shipping
I own one of these its a very nice bike but the stock gearing is for your grandma's grandma (55 gear inches). I should state that mine is heavily modified, I only kept the main frame of the bike.

Respect Cycles, Innovative bikes, for The Urban Environment.

the Mercier Nano: CroMo frame/fork multi speed $299 Delivered
I have owned one of these as well, its a great little bike but the parts are kinda crap, if you go this route be prepared to replace the brakes and in my opinion the shifters too at the very least. I gifted mine to my neice a few years back she loves it and rides it regularly. also despite fietsbob's complaints it is available in at least 2 sizes.

Save Up to 60% Off Mini Velo Road Bikes, Roadbikes - Mercier Nano Mini Velo Bicycles

the biria Mini 20: multispeed Alloy frame/fork MSRP $899
I have seen these around in NYC there were a few shops selling them and I think they are still in production they were selling here for between $500 and $600 looked pretty nice

Mini-20 Series | Biria Bicycles

tokyo bikes mini velo: multispeed Alloy frame/fork $815 not sure about shipping
I have seen these around too, I am not crazy about the paint choices or the threaded headset and it is the priciest of the options I have listed but it looks pretty nice.

Mini Velo ? tokyobike New York

the only other option I see is to look for a raleigh 20 on ebay or craigslist, they are very nice bikes all be it a little on the heavy side. its too bad you are not in NY seeing as I have a Raleigh 20 sitting in my shop I was thinking of offloading in the near future, oh well

good luck!
Old 08-17-16, 04:43 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
What non-folding 20" inch wheel commuter would I get for my Asian shoe-box house and my not predominantly tall self? A Tyrell CX

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-17-16 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 04:50 PM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
What would I get for my Asian shoe-box house and my not predominantly tall self? A Tyrell CX
that is my dream bike! I want one in spark iron so bad!!!!!!!

that said...not sure if this is what the OP is looking for...I mean he should be but, you know.
Old 08-17-16, 06:59 PM
northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only for shorter riders? Not this nonsense again. People well over six feet can be seen on mini velos and even smaller Bromptons all over London and other European cities where they are common. If a 6 foot 4 person can comfortably ride a 16 inch wheel micro bike they can ride a mini velo. The idea they are only suitable for shorter riders is just sheer ignorance. Some people should get out more.

Brompton Folding Bike Ideal for Tall Riders – NYCeWheels.com
Old 08-17-16, 07:39 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Get a longer seat stem, and raise the handlebars - anyone can ride a friggin minivelo!!!
Old 08-17-16, 08:05 PM
thugpipe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Carbon fork version preferably, I really wish they offered the CX with disc brakes but I would gladly make due with caliper brakes. Idealy I would like to get just the frame set and wheel set to then build the bike up with the parts I choose.

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra

You're keen on the CX (pictured), or the CX Tourer with Al rather than carbon fiber fork and canti/vbrake bosses rather than calipers?
Old 08-18-16, 04:22 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by northernlights
Only for shorter riders? Not this nonsense again. People well over six feet can be seen on mini velos and even smaller Bromptons all over London and other European cities where they are common. If a 6 foot 4 person can comfortably ride a 16 inch wheel micro bike they can ride a mini velo. The idea they are only suitable for shorter riders is just sheer ignorance. Some people should get out more.

Brompton Folding Bike Ideal for Tall Riders – NYCeWheels.com
I live in London and can testify that mini velos are far from a common sight. There was a Tokyo bike shop in Soho that had one on display for months and ended up reducing the price to move it.
Old 08-18-16, 05:14 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I find that the sizing isn't the issue. The issue is the stigma attached to an adult riding a bike with 20" or smaller wheels. I've gotten many positive comments, but I'd also gotten the crass individual who tells me to get an adult sized bike,... before I breezed past them on their supposed adult size ride.

It's all about acceptance, and people in the USA think smaller wheeled bikes are for children only.
Old 08-18-16, 09:30 AM
linberl

There was a time, in America, where no one had a compact car. Everyone drove behemoth steel tanks. then the VW bug came along, and perceptions changed. Now, it is quite common to have a Mini or a Fiat 500 or some other small car. Perhaps it will take some kind of game-changing minivelo to start a new trend here along with a terrific marketing campaign. If Apple designed and sold a minivelo, that would probably do it.
Old 08-18-16, 09:37 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
How about an e-mini velo?

https://www.surface604.com/ebikes/yu...commuter-bike/

Price seems to be double what it cost in China but at least there's a distributor in NA.
Old 08-18-16, 10:02 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts

I have one exactly like this. I'm 6 ft 4 and I don't even have the saddle at maximum height. I do get comments, while it's extremely unusual her to pay attention to any bike, most of them positive. But I think contrary to a lot of small wheeled bikes, it's got attitude, it has a stance. I quite like it, it makes me feel compact, agile and very mobile too, it takes kerbs easily and it fits in any space. Sometimes I feel so quick with it, I developped the habit of swinging my leg over the saddle to get off and operate the kick stand in one move, before that foot touched the ground, and have the ringlock in and the key out at the same time.

It's a semi-folding bike actually, and because the saddle can go all the way down and the handlebars can be tilted, it can be used as kid bike too. The production is discontinued, probably because a lot of things about it were not fully thought through. But what I like about it is the rigidity of the frame and the tough wheels with fat tyres, that gives it a bit of a BMX feel. So that's my advice, small wheels are nice, when it's a strong tough bike with a bit of an attitude.
Old 08-18-16, 10:54 AM
linberl

180w seems a little under powered...cute, though.

Originally Posted by tdonline
How about an e-mini velo?

https://www.surface604.com/ebikes/yu...commuter-bike/

Price seems to be double what it cost in China but at least there's a distributor in NA.
Old 08-18-16, 11:28 AM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
The site claims up to 20 miles on one charge, but the PDF manual claims 50-75km. It ships in September so hopefully we'll see some reviews soon.
Old 08-18-16, 12:13 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Antone
I found a LBS that sold one below however they've been discontinued, I believe it was based on the fixed frame Raleigh Twenty
i agree. the "20 something" bike is definitely a copy of the raleigh 20. the shopper bike platform has a lot potential. i've seen several of them recently. maybe they can make a successful comeback.

damn, that raleigh 20 looks so nice.

the 20 something also reminded me of the less well-known norwegian kombi bike, which was a separable (with a non-sep version also offered) with sachs torpedo duo hub. maybe badmother could locate a kombi on one of her trips to copenhagen and mod it for our viewing pleasure... although it's lovely as is. love that fork rake and goose-neck stem.

Last edited by smallwheeler; 08-18-16 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 12:25 PM
smallwheeler

Originally Posted by thugpipe
Carbon fork version preferably, I really wish they offered the CX with disc brakes but I would gladly make due with caliper brakes. Idealy I would like to get just the frame set and wheel set to then build the bike up with the parts I choose.
reach out to chris from propel.

they are importing tyrell ive so maybe they could get your cx frameset added to their palette/container.
Old 08-18-16, 01:46 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Combi was common in all the nordic countrys. I suspect one factory made bikes for several brands but I also think there was copys made. Most of them have a rock solid but heavy Fauber crank, that is not the same as an American one piece crank. Made in 20" and 24" wheels.

My granny moped (homemade E-bike) is built over a frame like this. Same with our "Mule".

Both bikes has got new forks () and I modifyed them with a Brompton welded on front block mount some years ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/778361...posted-public/

Main problem with the fork is that fork, handlebar and bars are all non standard. If you want a lighter stem and bars you need a new fork.

Great bikes, among the best we have.

I have been thinking for some time that I should present "the Mule" in this forum.
Old 08-18-16, 02:03 PM
smallwheeler

Originally Posted by badmother
The Combi was common in all the nordic countrys.

the separation assembly looks very robust. it's a cool design.

Old 08-18-16, 02:11 PM
Diode100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
20 Something

The 20 Something, $499 from Toronto bike shop :-

Urbanite 20something - Urbane Cyclist Bicycle Store | Toronto M5T 1R9
Old 08-18-16, 02:18 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
the separation assembly looks very robust. it's a cool design.

The whole bike is robust. What you may not see is the flange of the front part goes behind a piece of metal on the rear part, just under the screw.

I`ll take some pictures one day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.