Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What about Chedech?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

What about Chedech?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 02:57 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
As much as I personally have no need for a carbon frame, I do love the fold on this bike,..
the fold looks familiar...
Old 05-07-18, 05:36 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bollocks, Mahendra. Besides, Brompton would win the case if Chedech tried litigation: the fold is a straight copy.
Old 05-07-18, 10:12 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
the fold looks familiar...
No comment,...but I still like it!
Old 05-08-18, 01:02 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
They could do with some new artwork on the frame the branding 'Chedech' in white looks very amateur and unappealing. I'm not super keen on carbon as a frame material, it seems brittle and so many road and mountain bikes made from it seem to be disposable and short life. The bikes are strong but one crash and the frame is a write off and there seems to be a small amount of bikes that fail catastrophically due to poor manufacture because carbon frames are pretty much a manual labour manufacturing process and hairs and dirt get caught in the fibres very occasionally which causes the frames to delaminate and crack internally over time.

Also be careful when ordering lightweight parts from companies like aliexpress. Many low weight parts are sold as carbon fibre but actually fibre glass luckily you can normally do a quick check with a multi-meter. Carbon fibre is conductive but fibre glass isn't. Many have been caught out with dangerous lower strength parts that are actually fibre glass; handlebars, seat posts etc. Bike manufacturer's love selling carbon fibre road and mountain bikes due to likelihood of being replaced more frequently and environmentalists dislike the fact that many will hit landfill and can't be recycled. 2 reasons for me to be put off carbon.

Great video about carbon fibre here. The engineer loves carbon fibre bikes but clearly states many disadvantages and things to be concerned about. I'm more a steel and titanium fan based on their resistance to fatigue, improved comfort and long life.

Last edited by Bonzo Banana; 05-08-18 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-18, 07:21 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So, he said the problem was overtightening and to buy a torque wrench. Doesn't seem that complicated to me. I just hope the makers of the "Dreamliner" and the A350 have seen this video.
Likes For avole:
Old 05-09-18, 06:57 AM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
don't be afraid

carbon fiber is so far one of the best materials for bikes.
there is no reason to be afraid of new technology. (carbon fiber is not new at all but still being improved)

even my grandma has a carbon fiber wheelchair, actually. :-)
Old 05-09-18, 06:59 AM
GTA

the fold

see how the fold looks like~~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PicsArt_05-08-10.23.37.jpg (1.23 MB, 508 views)
Old 05-09-18, 08:25 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
there is no reason to be afraid of new technology. (carbon fiber is not new at all but still being improved)

Obvious that you have no issues with carbon fiber, otherwise you would not have bought this bike. To me carbon fiber and folders do not play well together as folders (at least mine) get banged around quite a bit and that is what carbon fiber does not like too much. This has nothing to do with voting agains new technology but with understanding of materials and choosing the right one for a given purpose.
Old 05-09-18, 09:03 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Originally Posted by GTA

I didn't even realise elderly people were so competitive when it comes to who can wheel themselves about the fastest. Does she wear lycra too? Maybe you are implying I am a dinosaur who doesn't move with the times and trends and you are probably right I just sort of like what I like even if that isn't what is popular with the majority. I guess I'm a little afraid of carbon fibre due to the way it fails and the only thing it seems to bring to the table is competitive advantage and low weight. On the way to the beach the other day I passed many cyclists in some sort of race or event and the only thing consistent about the race was the young cyclists were at the front and the elderly cyclists were at the end pretty much. Didn't seem to matter what the bike was cheap or expensive, aluminium or carbon. Plenty of seriously expensive carbon bikes at the back.
Old 05-10-18, 09:46 PM
GTA

Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I didn't even realise elderly people were so competitive when it comes to who can wheel themselves about the fastest. Does she wear lycra too? Maybe you are implying I am a dinosaur who doesn't move with the times and trends and you are probably right I just sort of like what I like even if that isn't what is popular with the majority. I guess I'm a little afraid of carbon fibre due to the way it fails and the only thing it seems to bring to the table is competitive advantage and low weight. On the way to the beach the other day I passed many cyclists in some sort of race or event and the only thing consistent about the race was the young cyclists were at the front and the elderly cyclists were at the end pretty much. Didn't seem to matter what the bike was cheap or expensive, aluminium or carbon. Plenty of seriously expensive carbon bikes at the back.
No offense.
I do have a BROMPTON (steel), a DAHON Speed (steel), a TERN Verge (aluminum) and a PACIFIC CarryMe (aluminum) as daily commuters and I love them, too.
But this CHEDECH is better than the BROMY. Lighter, faster, cheaper (I got a big discount, BTW), nicer parts and more sophisticated design......
Obviouslly I am not taking it to a road race or a downhill game.
Thanks for sharing your opinion on carbon fiber, but it is not my concern. :-)
Old 05-11-18, 07:52 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
nicer parts and more sophisticated design......
I cannot care less about sophisticated design when there is no straightforward option of mounting real fenders, a sturdy rack unlike they offer, luggage mount etc. Still I can see there a role for such a bike in the market as for commuting where you can ensure relatively cozy conditions for the bike and can absorb consequences of carbon cracking, both in terms of consequences and financially if a mishap were to occur.
Old 05-12-18, 07:47 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by GTA
No offense.
I do have a BROMPTON (steel), a DAHON Speed (steel), a TERN Verge (aluminum) and a PACIFIC CarryMe (aluminum) as daily commuters and I love them, too.
But this CHEDECH is better than the BROMY. Lighter, faster, cheaper (I got a big discount, BTW), nicer parts and more sophisticated design......
Obviouslly I am not taking it to a road race or a downhill game.
Thanks for sharing your opinion on carbon fiber, but it is not my concern. :-)
I've never ridden a Chedech but on face value looking at the design and features it doesn't exude a feeling of quality, it looks a bit crude with poorly designed paintwork and missing features. Carbon fibre should be your concern if you are riding it, I'm pretty sure many brands of carbon fibre bikes recommend frequent visual checks of the frame to make sure cracks aren't present, these checks are more designed for lightweight road bikes I'm sure but you have to be a little more careful with carbon fibre due to its more brittle nature.

Even the best carbon frame manufacturer in the world (Giant bikes) writes this in their manual;

After any crash, take your bike to your dealer for a thorough check. Carbon composite components, including frames, wheels, handlebars, stems, cranksets, brakes, etc. which have sustained an impact must not be ridden until they have been disassembled and thoroughly inspected by a qualified mechanic.

That's any crash not severe crash and notice they don't even mention steel or aluminium but the first part of the text implies you can still ride them but they should be inspected by a dealer. So many more things you have to be careful about with carbon, bolt torque levels, not clamping the bike in a bike workstand and many other issues caused by a material that has little strength when pressure is applied in the wrong places on the bike. I've seen it written in a few places that you need a different mindset when riding a carbon bike to a aluminium or steel bike because the components can fail catastrophically without warning and this could be in the middle of busy traffic. I've certainly read of people hitting a pot hole with their carbon forks and instantly the forks failing and the rider plummeting to the ground at high speed and sustaining injuries. Lets not forget carbon fibre manufacturing is a manual process building up layer by layer of carbon fibre matting etc, it is much more likely to have a flaw due to this manual labour intensive process. It is low paid work where as an aluminium frame welder is much higher skilled and rewarded financially and many steel frames are robot welded at the big factories like fuji-ta. A steel frame can be welded in seconds, an aluminium frame welded in minutes and a carbon frame manufactured in hours and that's why carbon frames are currently the most inconsistent quality of any frame material.

This is quest composites that make Trek and Canyon carbon frames amongst others. Notice the working conditions, seats they are sitting on and the poor fitting of the hat of the woman closest to the camera meant to protect the forks from stray hairs and dust which can cause the carbon to de-laminate and crack. This is not a good environment for quality or consistency.

Old 05-12-18, 10:47 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Carbon smashing

I'm glad to see someone bought one of these. I think it looks great and wouldn't mind not having a rack or fenders since overall weight is what I want out of a portable bike. Carbon has come along. It really depends if the manufacturer is doing a good job, but there are probably just as many videos showing the crazy testing these frames have to pass vs frames that failed. In theory only carbon fiber has an infinite fatigue life. Some destruction tests; very convincing. I don't even have a carbon bike but will get one someday.
https://youtu.be/w5eMMf11uhM
https://youtu.be/20AG7tLxNto

Last edited by ttakata73; 05-12-18 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 01:53 PM
FoldingStyle

Bikes: Dahon Classic III 1987 - Dahon Ios X9 2011 - Birdy City Premium 2013 - Brompton M6L Black Edition I 2015 - Cinelli Hobootleg Geo 2017 - Ori Bikes M10 2019

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi all, i'm testing the Chedech Land Mark 5Speed. Very good impressions from the first ride, I will update you on my experience.
Old 04-18-19, 04:34 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
BFold of New York City was nice enough to let me take their demo on an extended test ride.
I like it. It's very quick handling. Maybe the agressive handlebar position contributes to this.
Note, only 1 bar type. Versus Brompton's 4 choices. Single 5 speed shifter will be loved by the
folks that hate Brompton's 6 speed dual shifters.

Do I like it over my 6 year old titanium/superlight 2013 S6L-X? No. Still prefer the Brompton
with it's luggage system and available accessories; lights(rechargeable & dynamo), various bags,
carbon and titanium parts, etc. But there are a lot to like with the Chedech:
Old 04-22-19, 07:21 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
BFold of New York City was nice enough to let me take their demo on an extended test ride.
I like it. It's very quick handling. Maybe the agressive handlebar position contributes to this.
Note, only 1 bar type. Versus Brompton's 4 choices. Single 5 speed shifter will be loved by the
folks that hate Brompton's 6 speed dual shifters.

Do I like it over my 6 year old titanium/superlight 2013 S6L-X? No. Still prefer the Brompton
with it's luggage system and available accessories; lights(rechargeable & dynamo), various bags,
carbon and titanium parts, etc. But there are a lot to like with the Chedech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20X4...aIoDLA&index=1
Do you still have your Pakit that you did the 5 boroughs on?
Old 04-22-19, 03:02 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by icedmocha
Do you still have your Pakit that you did the 5 boroughs on?
Yes.

The Unisphere, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 04-22-19, 03:17 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I follow your YouTube, do you have Instagram? Also do you still prefer the packit to the brompton?
Old 05-12-19, 05:41 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by icedmocha
I follow your YouTube, do you have Instagram? Also do you still prefer the packit to the brompton?
Don't have an Instagram account; just Youtube & Flickr.
I still have both my 2013 Brompton and 2017 Bike Friday pakiT. For longer rides(over 50/60 miles); I'm preferring the pakiT.
For commuting, shopping, travelling - Brompton w/ the smaller/quick fold & front luggage wins.
Old 06-18-19, 10:44 AM
bikeloveny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pericleto
In my search of a really light and sturdy folding bike I ran into this Chedech 5 made of carbon which seems quite the bike I am looking for!

Is there any Chedech user around to share opinions?

My main concerns follow:

* No system for carrying luggage seems to be in place. I would expect something like the front carrier from Brompton, or a front or rear rack for panniers.

* Gear ratio. Internal hub is my choice, but I wonder how will be this Sturmey Archer 5v with 18" wheels compared to my 9v cassette with 20" of my current Tern Link P9.

* No integrated lights system. I would install Reelight I guess.

* No front mudguard, I'm not sure if this is a big deal though.

Please, share opinions!
I have the Chedech. If luggage and lights are what you're looking for, this bike is not for you. It is a sporty, very light carbon folder. It's great for traveling (20 lbs), carrying up and downstairs or in and out of trains, taking onto a plane. It is not an errand bike with baskets and luggage options. For that I have a Brompton. Both bikes are great for their function and I would recommend either depending on what you're looking for.
Old 06-18-19, 11:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If it's not every thing you want? change a few parts..

Want a dynamo hub based light scheme?, there are about as nice as any made .. this a 28,
there is a 20 spoke hub & rim, too, built & shipped from Germany ..

Old 06-18-19, 11:55 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Want a dynamo hub based light scheme?, there are about as nice as any made .. this a 28,
there is a 20 spoke hub & rim, too, built & shipped from Germany ..

Link, if you have one..
Old 06-18-19, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wilfried Schmidt , in USA distributed , through Peter White Cycles
Old 07-04-19, 02:20 PM
pericleto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have being catching up with all these answers from last... almost two years.

The thing is I made a bet on a crowdfunding of the following bike:

https://www.vika.bike/

And, well, I lost my bet as the bike is eventually not being produced (they cannot accomplish the time to market, competition is strong, bla, bla, bla...). Now, they say I will be refunded (and I'm crossing my fingers under the table).

So now it's time to re-evaluate, basically my dilemma is: Chedech or Brompton?

Yes, I need to carry some luggage and would use it for some shopping, but at the same time I am becoming a commuter and will need to do some 20 minutes ride from home to the train station, both ways...

So, it's not easy to make up my mind.
Old 07-05-19, 05:19 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by pericleto
So, it's not easy to make up my mind.
The community would presumably benefit more if you went with Chedech. You might burn yourself or not and we would learn about getting the bike over and and about testing out in which way it is good or not.

With yourself primarily in mind, you should presumably get a Brompton. Given your jumping on Vika and trusting that it can succeed, you really need to concentrate on the side of walking on the ground, if I may say so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.