Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Now looking for the wife's bike...

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 07-25-19, 09:50 AM
HyBr1D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

After scourging the sites looking for a suitable bike for myself, I've begun looking for a bike for my wife. I figured what better place to ask than here, the Lady's Lounge.

Now, I've narrowed it down to two specifics but I'm not content with the selection. I find it increasingly hard to find and accept that there is a vastly limited amount of selection of women's specific bikes and generally they point you more towards a unisex category. I find many women's HT's to have crappy components and it's beginning to frustrate me some.

Little insight on her... she's beginning her adventure in cycling and hasn't ridden a bike in quite sometime. She's 42, weighs 118LBS @ 5'1" (swears she's 5'3" ) her inseam I'm not too sure what it is but it should be close to 25 I believe comparing to myself (5'7"/160LBS/30 inseam)

I'm generally thinking of a gravel dual sport bike when/if she ever decides to go trailing with me to have some sort of an ability to switch without massive component changes needed. She's hung up on the top tube being the lower slanted style which a woman's specific bike has as oppose to the higher variant of a male or unisex bike would have. She's also fixated that smaller wheels like 26er would feel better for her since she is a bit short and I've avidly tried to reassure her that even at 27.5/+ or 29er she would be find with the correct frame but she doesn't believe me. Also, TEAL IS A MUST lol...

My main concern is her comfort, stopping power, good drivetrain (nothing crazy 1x NX or NX Eagle) and a dropper are a must. I'm looking into a HT over FS because it will help her develop that skill needed to focus on handling and to properly place the bike on the trail lines.

I went with an Ibis DV9 GX Eagle, she personally doesn't want/require a similar bike. I, obviously look at it differently because I want her safe while she rides.

Here are the two (trendy) bikes I found that fit's similar to both our criteria.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=teal

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=tealdark

I'm leaning towards the "unisex" version of the Roscoe 7... better components. I greatly appreciate your help and insight lady's.
Old 07-25-19, 10:18 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 104 Posts
We had a thread a while back where a longtime member wanted to replace her miniature Surly with something flat-bar or custom, and I found half a dozen mountain bikes that were either junior or women's XS with 26 inch wheels, and lots of other people chimed in with their ideas. https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...5-ft-tall.html

It's pretty hard to find step-through bikes in any but the lowest quality level, never on something that's going to have NX and a damping fork. That's too bad because they're high utility, especially with a tall rear load like a kid in a kid seat. Since you mention full suspension, it's also pretty hard to get much stand-over in a full suspension bike. The linkage is the same from XS to XL so the shock and pivots are in the way.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-25-19, 11:59 AM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I didn't want to go FS for the main reason of gaining experience would be better (IMO) on a HT rather than a FS. It doesn't have to be a Sram product for the drivetrain it could be an equal quality 1x but most rec or sport bikes are built with 2x+ and I don't want to face front derailleur issues in the future or a loose chain. I do plan on maintaining it which can reduce that from happening greatly but a 1x would be better and a possible chain guide too (I added one for my DV9.) Now, the lower marketed bikes usually sport Suntour forks and often than not a coil spring option which won't last too long. Now, I'm not looking into a Pike or a Yari, more along the lines of a Reba, Recon or Revelation... even a Judy would suffice for her level of riding.
Old 07-25-19, 01:37 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1991 Fuji Sundance , 2017 Salsa Vaya, 1990 Trek 520

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
The Jamis Dragonslayer comes in a 26in version. They are 1x and Reynolds 520 steel, yet lighter than the Roscoe you posted (smaller tires help).

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/dragonslayer.html
Old 07-25-19, 05:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by HyBr1D View Post
It doesn't have to be a Sram product for the drivetrain it could be an equal quality 1x but most rec or sport bikes are built with 2x+ and I don't want to face front derailleur issues in the future or a loose chain.
I'm with you, man. I'm gathering parts to replace my wife's drivetrain with M7000. I've got all the shifty bits but stalled out on the crankset, which is riveted... options that seem cheap don't wind up cheap at retail. I can't figure out why all the cheap bikes aren't coming with 1x10 already. It can be done with prior generation SRAM parts, Marin Pine Mountain came this way a few years ago when it launched
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-25-19 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 07:04 PM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
I'm with you, man. I'm gathering parts to replace my wife's drivetrain with M7000. I've got all the shifty bits but stalled out on the crankset, which is riveted... options that seem cheap don't wind up cheap at retail. I can't figure out why all the cheap bikes aren't coming with 1x10 already. It can be done with prior generation SRAM parts, Marin Pine Mountain came this way a few years ago when it launched
I suppose they figured people like you and I would buy a cheap bike frame and build it up, rather than purchasing their more prestige framesets. You can easily get a Marin anything and build a parts list and build an amazing entry-level beast. Yet, I would much rather just get everything as a complete set until something breaks then replace I'm just being lazy. I love tinkering so, it's not like I would mind messing with it... but she will be like, "Oh no, you just bought this bike to mess with it!" "Was this for me at all?" lol.
Old 08-06-19, 07:39 PM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Went ahead with...

https://www.bikebling.com/Orbea-Lauf...d48b5a911568e9

ordered a women's specific seat, a SDG dropper, and some other things that were missing..
Old 08-07-19, 05:33 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by HyBr1D View Post
Went ahead with...

https://www.bikebling.com/Orbea-Lauf...d48b5a911568e9

ordered a women's specific seat, a SDG dropper, and some other things that were missing..
congrats, Teal accents FTW, lol
Old 08-07-19, 08:10 AM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It was too difficult to find the frame in complete teal/aqua/cyan or turquoise... with the right component set/geo.