Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Maltodextrin Intolorance? Anyone?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 06-01-09, 08:42 AM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Bikes: TCR Carbon Limited

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone have this? I just figured out my body does not like this stuff it just shuts down my digestive tract and makes it dump everything. How many products is this poop in? I know Gu is out and Powerbar Gel. Luckily Clif Gel is made with rice syrup. Uhg do not feed this athlete Maltodextrin it is horrible stuff. Back to sipping pedialyte so I can train the rest of the week after the disaster of Roctaine on my 10k yesturday, atleast I got through the 10k before my insides exploded.
Old 06-01-09, 09:35 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's quite specific...but I think a lot of products contain maltodextrin in it.

Here's a good link I found talking more about it without getting overly technical: here

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 06-01-09, 09:40 AM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
That's quite specific...but I think a lot of products contain maltodextrin in it.

Here's a good link I found talking more about it without getting overly technical: here
Yeah I'm having a hard time finding information on intolerance of this. Most of the info just says what it is, a man made sugar rendered from boiling down starch. Its a diasaccharide intolerance is all I can find, and the symptoms for diasaccharide intolerance match exactly what happens when I consume this stuff. Almost like my celiac reactions just not as nasty. I made an appointment with my GP to get my charts labeled that I cant have this stuff, and let them decide if they now want those biopsies I didnt want last fall. Really hoping its just going to be a stamping to not give me this stuff, but we'll see.
Old 06-01-09, 11:29 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure it wasn't the caffeine? Caffeine will make you crap if you aren't used to it.
Old 06-01-09, 11:44 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pi}{ie
Yeah I'm having a hard time finding information on intolerance of this. Most of the info just says what it is, a man made sugar rendered from boiling down starch. Its a diasaccharide intolerance is all I can find, and the symptoms for diasaccharide intolerance match exactly what happens when I consume this stuff. Almost like my celiac reactions just not as nasty. I made an appointment with my GP to get my charts labeled that I cant have this stuff, and let them decide if they now want those biopsies I didnt want last fall. Really hoping its just going to be a stamping to not give me this stuff, but we'll see.
Get it checked out, and keep us updated! Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 06-01-09, 12:23 PM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Sure it wasn't the caffeine? Caffeine will make you crap if you aren't used to it.
I'm a caffeine addict, it wasnt the caffeine. Normally I would have consumed more caffeine than was in that gu by the time I took it. So its not the caffeine. I've had numerous reactions, to these over the last month. The only gel I didnt react to in some manner was Clif which doesnt have Maltodextrin. The only really common ingredient to powergel, and gu was the maltodextrin. The roctaine has the highest ammount I reacted to that the worst. the Powerade Gel one just cramped me up really bad and made things not right it however was further down the list of ingredients hence less in the product. The first reaction was combined with a gluten reaction, it wasnt till I had this latest one that I really put it together and compared the products.
Old 06-01-09, 12:41 PM
mp123

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maltodextrin sourced from wheat might have gluten I guess. I think most comes from corn though but they don't really have to tell you what it was before it was maltodextrin...
Old 06-01-09, 12:45 PM
bravo106
molasses in winter slow

Bikes: '06 Serotta Nove, '04 Mondonico Futura Leggero, '08 Haro Mary SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pi}{ie
Anyone have this?
I looked into this a few weeks back. Found mostly coeliac / gluten allergy info. From what I've read, the level of intolerance may come about depending on from where the malto is derived. I enjoy reading Hammer Nutrition's articles about fueling and their claimed advantage of malto vs. any of the "ose" sugars. Problem is, my own stomach doesn't agree with their science. I've tried every one of their drink mix products, and for me to even remotely tolerate it, I'd have to mix it in such a diluted form, it doesn't provide enough carbs. OTOH, I've found that I can handle dextrose & sucrose of eLoad very well. I can also handle their gels, which contain malto, but I think theirs is processed differently.

This past Saturday, I used CarboPro, which is a malto-based carb drink mix. Did 62 miles with no problems either during, or in the few hours after (some products have a delayed reaction on me). The only thing with CarboPro is that since it's a pure carb mix, electrolytes have to be supplemented separately (eLoad has a capsule product & I tried Nuun for the 1st time on Saturday).

Here's a link that shows the carb type of various products.
Old 06-01-09, 01:26 PM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mp123
Maltodextrin sourced from wheat might have gluten I guess. I think most comes from corn though but they don't really have to tell you what it was before it was maltodextrin...
In the united states its derrived from corn, if it came from wheat they have to declare it. Its not a gluten reaction .
Old 06-01-09, 01:36 PM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bravo106
I looked into this a few weeks back. Found mostly coeliac / gluten allergy info. From what I've read, the level of intolerance may come about depending on from where the malto is derived. I enjoy reading Hammer Nutrition's articles about fueling and their claimed advantage of malto vs. any of the "ose" sugars. Problem is, my own stomach doesn't agree with their science. I've tried every one of their drink mix products, and for me to even remotely tolerate it, I'd have to mix it in such a diluted form, it doesn't provide enough carbs. OTOH, I've found that I can handle dextrose & sucrose of eLoad very well. I can also handle their gels, which contain malto, but I think theirs is processed differently.

This past Saturday, I used CarboPro, which is a malto-based carb drink mix. Did 62 miles with no problems either during, or in the few hours after (some products have a delayed reaction on me). The only thing with CarboPro is that since it's a pure carb mix, electrolytes have to be supplemented separately (eLoad has a capsule product & I tried Nuun for the 1st time on Saturday).

Here's a link that shows the carb type of various products.

Yeah there is a lot of misconception about the stuff and celiacs. I have celiac, and there are a handful celiacs with this issue is what I'm seeing. Apparently Maltodextrose is fast to break down and is suposed to complete its breakdown in your stomach thus immediatly hitting the blood stream. If you have gastrointestinal leakage like in celiac, or pancreatic issues you're more likely to have issues with maltodextrose is what I'm seeing. I have both so this probably wont be too shocking for my GI, and GP doctors. Its probably leaving my stomach before it digests fully. Then agitating the small inestine due to it not having the enzymes to break it down. I have an appointment next week with the GP.
Old 06-02-09, 03:38 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bravo106

It's quite unlikely that the malotdextrin in the various products you've tried is "processed differently". In fact, most of it is probably sourced from the same big agri-business suppliers.

As to why some products upset your tummy, and some don't...hard to say. It might have to do with other ingredients (e.g., protein, electrolytes, flavorings, etc.), or with other things you've eaten (say, that chili cheese dog and milk shake just before the ride ).

To rule out maltodextrin intolerance, just get some straight maltodextrin (available from a variety of sources, including beer and wine-making shops).

The good thing about using your own straight malto is that you can mix up however many calories you want in your water bottle (from 100-600), depending on your ride. I normally mix about 200 calories of malto per bottle, then add a dash of "Low-Salt" (for sodium and potassium), plus a bit of magnesium citrate and calcium citrate powder. For taste, I add a bit of lemon juice.
Old 06-02-09, 04:39 PM
bravo106
molasses in winter slow

Bikes: '06 Serotta Nove, '04 Mondonico Futura Leggero, '08 Haro Mary SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
It's quite unlikely that the malotdextrin in the various products you've tried is "processed differently". In fact, most of it is probably sourced from the same big agri-business suppliers.
When I wrote "processed differently", I meant from different food sources. Such as -->

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has defined maltodextrins as a "nonsweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarily by (alpha)-1,4 bonds and that has a dextrose equivalent (DE) of less than 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes." (21 Code of Federal Regulations Sec. 184.1444.)

The food industry usually refers to corn-based products when referring to maltodextrins. But in addition to the legally defined corn and potato versions, some ingredient manufacturers also produce "maltodextrins" from other starchy sources, such as rice and tapioca. The current labeling status of these products is unresolved, so they might require the term "hydrolyzed ... (starch/source)."
Old 06-03-09, 09:37 AM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

As to why some products upset your tummy, and some don't...hard to say. It might have to do with other ingredients (e.g., protein, electrolytes, flavorings, etc.), or with other things you've eaten (say, that chili cheese dog and milk shake just before the ride ).

To rule out maltodextrin intolerance, just get some straight maltodextrin (available from a variety of sources, including beer and wine-making shops).

The good thing about using your own straight malto is that you can mix up however many calories you want in your water bottle (from 100-600), depending on your ride. I normally mix about 200 calories of malto per bottle, then add a dash of "Low-Salt" (for sodium and potassium), plus a bit of magnesium citrate and calcium citrate powder. For taste, I add a bit of lemon juice.

I'm pretty certain its the maltodextrin. I dont eat many commercially proccessed foods with man made ingredients due to multiple food intolorances. Most of the foods that are marketed towards celiacs in particular have limited proccessing, preservatives, etc due to celiacs being notorious for multiple food issues. I've spent the last few days comparing multiple products I use and some I've tried in the past and refuse to use. The gels were likely my first and last encounter with that sugar I intend to have. My system literally shut down and dumped everything for 36 hours on 2 occasions when I used the products with maltodextrin as the main ingredient. The 2 times I used it with the second ingredient my system was very angry and did not digest anything propperly for about 24 hours. The gel without I've had no problems with. Many of the other products I've used over the years have been all natural due to having celiac, fat dumping issues, soy intolorance, inability to proccess whey protein, etc. My daughter has an inherrited diasaccharide intolorance, they told me whoever she got it from doesnt have to have the one she has. Well mama apparently shuts down on maltodextrin. As much as being scientific would be lovely I spent 20 years with gastric dumping due to celiac, I still get it with fats. If I find a product that makes me sick I've gotten pretty good at weeding it out now through comparative analysis. Gastric dumping syndrome is not fun, and I'm not going to deliberately make my system dump my food. I had to do a fecal fat test last year and that alone was hell, why would I go home and force my system to do that? I've got a GI doc, and a GP I think they'll consider 2 dumping issues, and 2 instances of gastrointestinal distress a good sign of diasaccharide intolorance. What they choose to do from there is their choice.
Old 06-03-09, 11:53 AM
dsotm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever thought about it being a corn allergy? Try fructose and dextrose to test that. Also, if it is disaccharide intolerance, try using HRS from www.proteinfactory.com for an energy drink. Best of luck, I have fructose malabsorption, so I know the pain....
Old 06-03-09, 12:26 PM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsotm
Ever thought about it being a corn allergy? Try fructose and dextrose to test that. Also, if it is disaccharide intolerance, try using HRS from www.proteinfactory.com for an energy drink. Best of luck, I have fructose malabsorption, so I know the pain....
Its a possiblity my daughter is going to be tested for Herreditary Fructose Intolerance, and Congenital Sucrose Intolerance soon. Both of which are passed genetically. I avoid corn syrup just because I personally think HFCS is bad.
Old 06-04-09, 05:03 AM
dsotm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, be aware that stuff like brown rice syrup has a variety of different sugars in it, including disaccharides such as maltose. One thing you could try is some dextrose (corn based monosaccharide) versus some rilose (a rice based monosaccharide from the site I listed in my last post). If you are fine on both of those then it is probably a disaccharide intolerance. I don't like HFCS either (for many reasons).
Old 06-04-09, 07:52 AM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsotm
Also, be aware that stuff like brown rice syrup has a variety of different sugars in it, including disaccharides such as maltose. One thing you could try is some dextrose (corn based monosaccharide) versus some rilose (a rice based monosaccharide from the site I listed in my last post). If you are fine on both of those then it is probably a disaccharide intolerance. I don't like HFCS either (for many reasons).
I didnt have a problem with the clif gel, or the luna moons both made with brown rice syrup. Many gluten free products have brown rice syrup that stuf holds pretty good in my system. If it werent for rice I swear I'd die.
Old 06-09-09, 07:41 AM
Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doctor confirmed the intolorance this morning. She says due to the celiac, the meds I'm on, and the pancreatic dammage my system probably is not able to proccess this sugar. She says keep an eye out, for now they wont worry about testing further, however if I start noting other sugars causing dumping then we may look into it. She also says that she thinks all this maltodextrin dumping has lowered my iron stores I've got some nice fat bruises starting to pop up. They are checking to confirm early anemia and put me onto iron suppliments.
Old 08-09-10, 04:56 PM
Creek Dweller

Bikes: Schwinn Trailway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had a known Maltodextrin intolerance for many years. It is highly problematic. Don't shoot yourself yet, though I felt like it at first. Do some research. I saw that there are a handful of others who recognize their intolerance as that of maltodextrin. Not surprisingly, there is a spectrum of severity from mild, to those who go to a restaurant and if ingesting maltodextrin, their belly bloats and they have sudden and severe belly pain and diarrhea. I get severe, embarrassing flatulence to a degree that I won't go out in public, and severe diarrhea to such a degree that I have stool leakage. Needless to say I avoid maltodextrin. The bad news, as a pharmacist asked me, "Are you sure? They are adding maltodextrin to EVERYTHING!" Yes, I figured out, they are. But I see your post was written 1/09. You probably know all this by now.

Bad news is that most items are loaded with maltodextrin. Go to your natural foods section. But fresh, natural things. Buy processed foods which are listed as organic (though not an absolute). Avoid regular processed foods. Read your labels. Learn to eat more naturally. I found that most multiple vitamins have maltodextrin added. WHY? Not necessary. (I was told maltodextrin is an extremely cheap corn sweetener.)

I recently started eating probiotic foods. My food intolerances appear to be decreasing. I'm not certain if this is accurate or not, if this is just me or could be true for many. It certainly makes sense biologically and nutritionally.

My doctors play dumb about all this, and my allergists as well, consequently I've not had a doctor give me much information, and they play dumb when I tell them these things. No, I don't like them. I'll be curious to see if anyone else has the luck I'm having with pre- and probiotics. Good luck.

Creek Dweller
Old 08-09-10, 05:06 PM
Creek Dweller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every once in awhile I read ingredients qualifying the usual- tapioca maltodextrin is one. Corn maltodextrin is the usual and someone tried to tell me I have a corn allergy but that doesn't make sense for me. I think there are other kinds of maltodextrin but I don't know what kinds. If you read information published by nutritionists and the AMA about maltodextrin, they almost always state that maltodextrin is 100% safe and no one can have an allergy, or something like that. The info about and by intolerant people is very sparce. One statement I read is that those who have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) are intolerant. My intolerance developed about 2005 when I was thin and running avidly, 4 miles a day and 100 race miles for the year. Even with cautions, I began to have diarrhea WHILE running, regardless of what I did. Foods for diabetics containing Maltitol (I think it is) cause me such horrible flatulence I could not leave the house, and the warning states "Excessive consumption may have laxitive effect," a small amount did this to me. But other things did too, and so I watched and observed what was doing it to me and suspected Malt. Wasn't Malt, but I did realize it was Maltodextrin. BTW, info for Celiacs states that maltodextrin is safe for those with celiac disease and intolerance.
Old 08-09-10, 05:07 PM
Creek Dweller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do lotsa Clif and Luna. Stay in that section of the store but don't quit reading your ingredients.
Old 08-17-10, 05:19 PM
billh92109

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm... I have Ankylosing and it sets me off something fierce (along with all starches, dextrose, and basically any sugar other than glocose/fructose/lactose(which I can handle due to raw milk consumption))

- If you are intolerant to other sugars but *dont* have joint swelling/pain and weird back issues, just digestive then it almost sounds like IBS or Crohns or something similar, which would also be something you wouldnt notice until you got older and would get worse with age. I didnt realize I had my stuff until I was 30 or so.

If you arent intolerant of other sugars then thats kind of strange - at least you know what you can't eat which is 90% of the battle! Tough though they put that stuff in everything. If it has more than one ingredient usually I dont buy it to eat ;p.

Personally I think many people have specific food intolerances and allergies that cause chronic health problems but are so hard to identify without great effort - It took me quite a while to figure out what I could and couldnt eat, had to start with a monodiet and add stuff to it slowly. Could be worse eh?
Old 09-18-10, 07:32 PM
Creek Dweller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need More Research

......eeeeeeehhh....... I keep hearing this "Then you are allergic to something within the maltodextrin"..... thang. I have a pretty severe reaction to the maltodextrin - ALL maltodextrin. I am NOT allergic to corn. I do not test allergic to wheat, I don't seem to react to wheat, but do have a respiratory issue with wheat breads for some reason, however I can eat non-yeast wheat items without issue- cereals, crackers, pretzels - I use whole wheat tortillas for sandwiches and such. I love whole wheat products and am not reactive, nor to rices. I had initially had reactions to maltitol, that dietetic sweetener carrying the warning, "Caution: Excessive consumption can have a laxative effect," when I realized that I was reacting without excessive consumption. I do NOT have ANY reaction to any corn or corn products. I eat lots of potatoes and rice. Maltodextrin poops me raw. Go figure.

That said, I urge you to rally. Today I started a Facebook page entitled Maltodextrin Intolerance Awareness. It is for information, links, discussion, support, public education, awareness, and hopefully to get more people with the same problem communicating in one location. It's a start anyhow. The articles I am finding online are pretty pathetic IMHO and full of false information.
Old 10-08-10, 08:14 PM
FLFlyer

Bikes: Look 585

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maltodextrin does terrible things to me too. For riding I now drink accelerade and only eat clif bars and shot blocks. I was diagnosed with IBS which means milk products, greasy foods, alcohol, and caffeine also mess my stomach up. I can tolerate small doses of all, thankfully. Two drinks, two cups of coffee, and a slice of cheese are about my max. Good luck!
Old 10-13-10, 02:33 PM
Creek Dweller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billh92109
Hmm... I have Ankylosing and it sets me off something fierce (along with all starches, dextrose, and basically any sugar other than glocose/fructose/lactose(which I can handle due to raw milk consumption))

- If you are intolerant to other sugars but *dont* have joint swelling/pain and weird back issues, just digestive then it almost sounds like IBS or Crohns or something similar, which would also be something you wouldnt notice until you got older and would get worse with age. I didnt realize I had my stuff until I was 30 or so.

If you arent intolerant of other sugars then thats kind of strange - at least you know what you can't eat which is 90% of the battle! Tough though they put that stuff in everything. If it has more than one ingredient usually I dont buy it to eat ;p.

Personally I think many people have specific food intolerances and allergies that cause chronic health problems but are so hard to identify without great effort - It took me quite a while to figure out what I could and couldnt eat, had to start with a monodiet and add stuff to it slowly. Could be worse eh?

Bill - I have read that the positive HLA-B27 is indicator for another issue - Colitis. I'm not sure if you are on Facebook or not but there are two good groups &/or pages there, one for folks regarding Positive HLA-B27 (sorry, I forget the exact page name but a search will find it.... not easily I seem to recall however) and another for folks with AS. Check 'em out.

Also I did start a page called MALTODEXTRIN INTOLERANCE AWARENESS, since, like a bunch of folks above are doing, there's always the "no, you have to be allergic to something else," line -when they haven't a clue and are not intolerant of the stuff themself. Not much discussion going on but I am posting links to all the articles and information I can find on maltodextrin, sucralose, Splenda, and some other general food intolerance/allergy links.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.