Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you have more than one bike for Long Distance events?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling
View Poll Results: Do you have more than one bike for Long Distance events?
Yes
48.61%
No
51.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-09, 08:31 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'll probably add a second bike for long distance riding next year. My steel framed Soma Cyclocross bike is comfortable, moderately fast and can equipped with racks, fenders and wider tires. It also has a road triple that provides versatility.

It might be fun to have a lighter bike that would perform in a faster pace line but still be comfortable for 6 hours or more.

Do you use more than one bike?

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-24-09, 10:53 AM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have four LD bikes.
(1) A carbon road bike that I've used for most of 5 seasons of randonneuring, ultra-racing, and on 3 1200Ks.
(2) An aluminum fixed-gear bike that I began riding this year. It performed flawlessly for an SR series, 2 1200Ks, and a 24-hour race.
(3) An Al/C cross bike that I've ridden on some truly miserable, wet, cold, windy 200Ks (with the 32C cross tires on it!).
(4) A Cannondale tandem that Mrs. Octopus and I have used for a number of rides up to 400K.

The ride characteristics and geometry of these bikes are all very different, but they all work for me for the long stuff.
Old 10-24-09, 09:43 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Not presently at least.
Old 10-25-09, 12:50 AM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Currently, no, just my hybrid.

However my goal is to build up a Soma Double Cross as my main LD bike. That is at least another year off, so in the interim, I'm looking at a Motobecane Fantom CX as a LD bike, then I will us the parts off of it to build the Soma once funds become available. There will likely be some things I find I want to change from the Fantom CX build, but that gives me a year to sort it all before building up the Soma.
Old 10-25-09, 07:27 PM
Bent42

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Zurich, 2003 Lemond Buenos Aries, 1977 Fuji America, 2012 Alex Meade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Lemond (steel) with fenders, rack, lights, etc for randonneuring. I use another Lemond (steel) with none of that stuff attached for fast club rides, some of which are centuries or longer.

Ron
Old 10-25-09, 07:32 PM
Paul Scearce
Sinister Nut

Bikes: Witcomb USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have a fixed gear Witcomb USA for riding alone, and a Cannondale Tandem (geared) for riding with my wife.
Old 10-25-09, 07:40 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Serotta Fierte Steel and carbon, 23c tires for most metric and mile centuries.
Raleigh Cadent 1 aluminium triple, with 28c tires, bought for a winter bike it has a rack and accepts panniers and handlebar bag for overnighters. This replaced a very comfortable 45 year old steel Lygie handed down to the next generation.
Raleigh Oneway single speed or fixed, steel, 35c tires, fenders when I'm riding with slower riders or inclement weather.
Easyracer Goldrush aluminum long wheel base recumbent hasn't had much use this year but is the most comfortable.
Old 10-25-09, 08:28 PM
Fueco
Never enough miles...

Bikes: Look 595, Rock Lobster Steel CX, Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Look 595 for the faster stuff and a Bianchi San Jose fixie that I intend to do a double on next year... And I'll have a rando-specific bike once my Rock Lobster gets rebuilt!
Old 10-25-09, 10:52 PM
robertkat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have three bikes: Fixed SS road bike that is good for commuting, centuries, the average 200k, and flat doubles. An early 80's race bike that is good for anything from fast club rides to brevets, though no fenders so it's not a rain bike. Mountain bike set up for XC with drop bars, but with slicks it can do anything and everything well, road and dirt. So ya, I have multiple bikes for LD riding, yet none of them are LD specific. The SS is actually the closest thing I have to being an actual rando bike. I have a 4th on the way that will be a full on Audax bike. Gears, fenders, front bag, fast and comfy.

But then again, to me, anything less than a 200k on the road is not long distance. A century of average difficulty is just a good excuse to spend a nice day on the bike.
Old 10-26-09, 12:18 AM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My current long distance bikes are a Colnago C-50, a Calfee tandem, and Specialized Allez Pro. All used on everything from club rides to 1200ks to RAAM.

Originally Posted by robertkat
...though no fenders so it's not a rain bike. ...I have a 4th on the way that will be a full on Audax bike. Gears, fenders, front bag, fast and comfy...
Why on earth would you need fenders in San Diego? You can count the number of rain days per year on one hand...
Old 10-26-09, 02:17 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
One steel-framed Fuji Touring which has been a faithful servant since I started randonnees in 2002. It is really a touring bike, but it fitted the idea that randonnees are fast tours. It has done numerous qualifying events and has completed three 1200s, two 24H races, two 1000s, many, many commuting trips, and numerous touring kilometres.

One steel-framed Shogun that was rescued from a local dump and converted to a fixed gear. It has done myriad centuries, has toured a fair bit, has commuted on shopping trips, and started PBP2007, and neither it, nor the fact it was a fixed gear, was the reason for me not finishing the event.

One carbon-framed Merlin C110 Works that is about to change from a road double to a road triple. It was going to be my trophy bike and eventually full-time rando bike, but my enthusiasm and motivation went up in flames in February (fortunately not the bike). The other problematic issues are fenders/mudguards (SKS Blades, I suppose, if I go that route), bar and seat bags (CF handlebars and seat post) and seat (Brooks Ti Swallow might replace the Selle San Marco SKN already on there).

Anyway, now I am too fat to ride it, so it's back to the Fuji and Shogun to trim a few kilograms off. Maybe I should venture into the Clydies forum...

By the way, good to see you here, Homey!
Old 10-26-09, 02:50 PM
robertkat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Why on earth would you need fenders in San Diego? You can count the number of rain days per year on one hand...
Fenders do more than just keep you dry. They help keep all the road gunk off you and your bike. Ever ridden down the coast during the summer time? You bring the beach home with you. Plus, in the inland areas where I do most of my riding, we have fog. The kind that turns you into a sopping wet mess after you pass through it. Does that to the roads too.
Old 10-26-09, 08:00 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No biggy Robertkat, I spent the first 32yrs of my life in Clairemont. You are going to be one of the very few with fenders in SD. Of course there is something to be said for being unique.
Old 10-26-09, 09:14 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
2000's Ciocc: my 'light' bike at 21 lbs, has seen a few brevet series. No real fenders so I mainly ride it on dry-ish rides

Surly Pacer: the bike I use when I don't care how long it takes, has done a few 600's (35 lbs loaded). This one has full fenders too.

I like the Ciocc the best, also my race bike. (To put it in brevet mode I add dynohub/E6, brooks pro saddle, and lower the seatpost a good deal).

Also have a Bianchi fixed gear I recently dusted off, though the idea of a brevet on it still eludes me. 80km on it was tiring enough..

my race videos
Old 10-26-09, 09:22 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes.
Old 10-27-09, 07:12 AM
s-o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've recently built a Cotic Road Rat with 8-speed Campagnolo Record + Avid BB7 disc brakes as a complement to my Pedal Force ZX3. I wanted a second bike with clearance for slightly wider tires, and I wanted to be able to do a brevet even if something happened to my ordinary road bike.
The winter 200k:s that are organised here in late February was another reason to build a brevet bike with room for fenders and studded tires.

On the other hand, the "Me want that new toy"-feeling had nothing at all to do with this.
Old 10-27-09, 09:18 AM
bobbycorno

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've got a few bikes I COULD use for LD, but I like my Actionbent Midracer (aka Performer Agenda) so much that I use it for everything: commuting, training, errands, brevets, centuries, you name it. Haven't ridden any of my other bikes in six months at least. And the ABMR is by far the cheapest of the bunch. Go figger. Maybe it's time to thin the herd?

SP
Bend, OR
Old 10-27-09, 10:45 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nothign spectacular, just some ordinary bikes for all types of rides.

07 Lemond Chambery for ez centuries and everyday rides

98 CAAD3 on 10,000-12,000 ft centuries. Stiff and climbs well

Burley Duet tandem, steel 4 centuries with the wife.

Wifes CF Pilot 5.2 Several 70-80 milers

1984 steel Bianchi. Wife's done a ton of 40-50 milers on it.
Old 10-27-09, 10:55 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Yes.. I have Surly Cross Check for local stuff. Maybe an overnight , when I don 't have to carry much. It has a lighter frame set and the wheel set is for lighter loads.. My Fuji tourer has a heavier frame set and the Mavic A719 rims, I trust with heavier loads..
But then by going sag , I once took my race bike on a five day tour..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-28-09, 08:20 PM
rtruectoc

Bikes: cannondale caad 8 custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what gearing are you fixed/ss'ers using?
Old 10-29-09, 01:57 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Raleigh Oneway: 42-16, 175 cranks

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 10-29-09 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added model
Old 10-31-09, 11:26 AM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rtruectoc
what gearing are you fixed/ss'ers using?
49x18 or 49x17 for brevets and ultra events (though I think 49x17 is too low on most courses to be competitive); 49x15 or 49x14 for fast training rides. 175mm cranks.
Old 11-01-09, 10:20 AM
Six jours

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I have my "main" LD bike done up in the French style with fenders, lights, baggage, and lowish gearing. I just finished a British style fixed wheel touring bike, with no fenders, lights, etc. -- just stable handling, large saddlebag, and fat tires. It will be used for daytime rides of up to 200 k or so. I'm still playing with gears, but have settled on the neighborhood of 49x20 (I'm a tourist!) with a 24 freewheel on the other side.
Old 11-01-09, 01:58 PM
Bikewrench217

Bikes: 2 Treks, 1 Bianchi, 2 Schwinns and a Sun Folding Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 2 bikes. A schwinn with racks for doing solo unsupported rips and a Trek without all the extras that I use for supported trips
Old 11-01-09, 04:04 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I'd probably have a 2nd LD bike if

a) I had a much larger annual income than I do at present

b) I cared about trying to beat other people across the finish line

c) I felt I needed a lighter bike in order to keep up with my riding partners

Since neither a nor b nor c are true, I'm quite happy to ride my 32 pound touring bike for all my LD riding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.