Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain drop pedaling backwards.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 09:12 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have an otherwise great shifting, reasonably quiet SRAM Apex set up with one annoying foible: If I spin the pedals backwards the chain drops on to the BB shell. Can adjust adjust adjust the FD all day all night. . . External bearing BB, so I don't think it's that. Bent chain ring(s) maybe? Is there a tool or method to evaluate warped chain rings?

Or is there something else it could be?

Thanks, guys (and/or gals)
Old 02-28-14, 10:07 AM
Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by dwellman
Have an otherwise great shifting, reasonably quiet SRAM Apex set up with one annoying foible: If I spin the pedals backwards the chain drops on to the BB shell. Can adjust adjust adjust the FD all day all night. . . External bearing BB, so I don't think it's that. Bent chain ring(s) maybe? Is there a tool or method to evaluate warped chain rings?

Or is there something else it could be?

Thanks, guys (and/or gals)
Check for bends or burs on the chainwheel. The less likely factor is that your q-factor/spacing is way off. In that case relocate spacers from the drive side to non-drive side.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-14, 10:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5852 Post(s)
Liked 2,690 Times in 1,502 Posts
If this is happening when the chain is on an inboard rear sprocket (lower gears), it's fairly normal. If it's happening even when the chain is spooling from the outer half of the cassette, is isn't, and you probably have a bent or damaged tooth on the ring, or a bent hanger. When hangers get bent inward (about the only they ever bend) the lower pulley is far inboard of the upper, so the chain in the lower loop is coming from too much of an inboard angle an climbs over the side.

Easy to check for a bent hanger. Shift to a gear which has the RD cage nearly vertical. Put a straight edge (ie. a broomstick) vertical against the right side of the rear wheel, and see ic the RD cage is parallel, or tilted bottom toward the wheel.

A slightly sticky freewheel or freehub can make this worse because it causes a slack lower loop when back pedaling.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-28-14, 10:41 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had a bike that did that and it was the chainline being off. Forward pedaling was fine but whenever I back-pedaled on the rear big/smal front, it would drop the chain onto the BB.

Respaced and its better now.

Edit: my BB is an external bearing BB as well, I had the thick spacer on the non-driveside and the thin spacer on the driveside, I reversed them and the shifting and back pedaling is much smoother now.

Last edited by bobotech; 02-28-14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-28-14, 10:56 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
No point in adjusting the FD, as the chain engages from the bottom when you backpedal. As FB notes you need to specify what gear combo(s) you are in when it occurs. Also very helpful to know if this is new behavior and if so any maintenance or incident that occurred just previous to the symptom starting. A bent hanger is a possible but less common cause. More often it's a bad chainline or poorly tensioned chain.
Old 03-14-14, 12:49 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee it's taken me a long time to follow up. .

It is indeed bent teeth on the big ring.
Old 03-14-14, 01:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Don't pedal Backwards it wont get you ahead .

And, Buy one of these Chain Catchers for Road, Cross, and MTB Bikes - K-EDGE