Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Once you go Parrafin, You will never go back!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 02:16 PM
Hbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Came accross an article in which they compared several brands of chain lube. The comparison was pretty complete and Parrafin wax came out on top in every test. So always looking for any edge that I can get, I jumped headlong into getting everything that I would need to convert to Parrafin. I swore by Pro Lube for so many years I was disapointed to see it come in so low in the tests. I brought a wax warmer, a block of wax, and just for an even greater edge I brought a 2 ounce bottle of teflon resin. Last night I pulled the chains off of two of my bikes, thanks to KMC both chains use a missing link so disassembly was EZ. I cleaned them, then I cleaned them again. I set up the wax warmer broke off a few chunks and put them in it. Sat down watched tv and waited for the wax to melt, I looked at my calf saw the usual chain marks and tried to wipe them off. I then decided to clean my bikes, pulleys,and crank arms, when I finished the wax was all melted and clear. I added about 1 tblspn of teflon and stirred it in. I then placed both chains in the warmer and let them sit in it for about ten minutes. One thing that I did learn is that melted wax will splash much easier than water! So watch out for this!!! I removed the chains one by one , let them cool a little and pulled them through a rag , squeezing only the sides of the chain not the roller parts. I then installed them still warm , and spun my crank about two times and let it sit overnight. This morning I dressed, pumped up the tires looked at the chain, it had a slight haze on it, spun the crank and a small amount of wax flaked off, almost like wax dust. Spinning the crank by hand felt a little different to me, it was more smoother, more solid, just different. I then took my ride. WOW what a difference! I can't really put it to words but my crank felt more fluid, there was almost no noise from the chain , when I hit bumps, or pedaling! I did my usual morning 20, unclipped and was bringing the bike up the stairs, I lifted it up over my head and my white jersey hit the chain, I cursed loudly ,sat the bike down and looked at my jersey. THERE WERE NO CHAIN MARKS! I then looked at the chain, It looked exactly as it did when i left in the morning!!! I touched the chain and looked at my finger (NOTHING)!! No black on my fingers! I took the bike to my bike room an put it in the stand, grabbed a rag and started wiping it down, while still looking at the chain , I decided to wipe down the chain since it is gold. I always wipe it off after a ride. Last , because that is what you do. NO GREASE OR DIRT ON THE RAG!!!!! As if I wasn't sold already on Parrafin I looked at my Garmin and saw that I had dropped two minutes off of my normal time ! I think that the chain contributed to this! My speed at certain points on my corse was also up! I'm sold! It takes way longer to lube a chain with parrafin than just squirting something on a chain from a bottle and wiping it off. Believe me it is worth the extra inconvience! Parrafin!! Sometimes old technology Is better than new!
Old 02-25-13, 02:24 PM
Cactuskid
Ride on!

Bikes: 2013 TARMAC Expert, 2011 specialized roubaix SL3, 2012 Raleigh Rush hour FIXIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swear by White Lightening lube, is just WAX and alcohol to make pliable, works great without all the bother you do
Old 02-25-13, 02:44 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh, but I did!and I did!

(see threads passim!)

- Wil
Old 02-25-13, 02:44 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
White Lightning did poorly in the test. I used it long ago for MTB and the drivetrain wore very quickly. I use it for pedals now, not chains.

I used wax for a while back in the 80s. It's ok but it's time consuming. Not a problem when one is single and living for cycling but with a family and more responsibilities, garage time is limited.

Waxing is cleaner but even with regular chain oil I don't seem to have a problem getting grease on things.
Old 02-25-13, 04:22 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I was watching the Oscars last night and Jeniffer Aniston and Channing Tatum were talking about getting waxed.
Old 02-25-13, 05:08 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Wait until you're just a few miles into your ride and chain starts squeaking. A downside to wax is there is no warning, prior to the squeaking.
Old 02-25-13, 05:25 PM
RoadMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I definitely went back to using Rock'n'Roll Gold. It's just so much easier, and better for riding in wet conditions.
Old 02-25-13, 05:32 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that people get greasy chainring prints on themselves from using too much lube and not being careful when handling the bike (carry on the non-drive side...)
Old 02-25-13, 09:57 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
White Lightning did poorly in the test. I used it long ago for MTB and the drivetrain wore very quickly. I use it for pedals now, not chains.

I used wax for a while back in the 80s. It's ok but it's time consuming. Not a problem when one is single and living for cycling but with a family and more responsibilities, garage time is limited.

Waxing is cleaner but even with regular chain oil I don't seem to have a problem getting grease on things.
Exactly right. YOu don't need oil on the outside of the chain, just inside where the rollers are. I use Chain-L and I have to lube about once every 1000 miles. With regular lubes (and waxes) it was about every 100 miles if picky and 200 miles if I let it go. I don't get any more grease or dirt mess now than I did then and I don't have to foil with waxes.

The other benefit I noticed with the Chain-L is that my chains are lasting longer too.

J.
Old 02-25-13, 10:30 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm kind of interested in this as well. I read the same or similar review as the OP and paraffin was #1. My beloved RNR gold was a bit down the list (don't recall exactly off hand). So for those who have tried paraffin and given up, what specifically did you experience that would call into question the review?
Old 02-25-13, 10:37 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,521 Times in 2,862 Posts
I did the paraffin thing in the '80's. Back then you could buy the tins of paraffin from places like Nashbar & Performance. After all the mess of heating the tin in a pan of water, and dipping the chain, then putting it back on the bike, it was good for one ride, then would start squeaking again.

Jobst Brandt on paraffin: "Paraffin (canning wax), although clean, works poorly because it is not mobile and cannot replenish the bearing surfaces once it has been displaced. This becomes apparent with any water that gets on the chain. It immediately squeaks."

Ref: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
Old 02-25-13, 11:01 PM
Hbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that a lot of people are put off by the time it takes to use Parrafin, but after set up and a few use's the time will come down. I plan on rewaxing at least once every 3 weeks, but no longer than 4 weeks between cleanings. By letting it soak in the warmer and watching the air bubbles come out of the chain, insures that the wax is penetrating throughout the chain. My first impressions were great! I think my ride in the morning will completely seal the deal. Now I am wondering if I remove my cassette and chainrings soak them in parrfin wipe them off and polsh them out, then reasemble them, will they also shed dirt and grime?
Old 02-25-13, 11:08 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
White Lightning did poorly in the test. I used it long ago for MTB and the drivetrain wore very quickly.

Can you quantify poorly? Last, bottom half, 10%???

ive always used white lighting but I live in a fairly dry area and apply it very regularly. It seems to work for me, but I'm open to change. Not having to apply it as often would be nice.
Old 02-25-13, 11:18 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I did the paraffin thing in the '80's. Back then you could buy the tins of paraffin from places like Nashbar & Performance. After all the mess of heating the tin in a pan of water, and dipping the chain, then putting it back on the bike, it was good for one ride, then would start squeaking again.

Jobst Brandt on paraffin: "Paraffin (canning wax), although clean, works poorly because it is not mobile and cannot replenish the bearing surfaces once it has been displaced. This becomes apparent with any water that gets on the chain. It immediately squeaks."

Ref: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
A counter point comes from the velonews site discussing the findings.

"If I lived somewhere wet, and had to re-wax every few days, I’d give up on it. But out here I get a solid 1.5-2 weeks out of an application. That’s not so bad." - Velo tech editor Caley Fretz.

Not sure how many rides that would be but sounds like more than one. I guess I'll just have to try for myself and see but I agree the prep sounds like a pain.
Old 02-25-13, 11:35 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Holy block of text Batman! TL;DR!
Old 02-26-13, 12:31 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Paragraphs are your friend.
Stop touching the chain to your body.
When you ride farther than 20 you'll discover the problems with wax.
Old 02-26-13, 01:02 AM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Can you quantify poorly? Last, bottom half, 10%???

ive always used white lighting but I live in a fairly dry area and apply it very regularly. It seems to work for me, but I'm open to change. Not having to apply it as often would be nice.
Depends, they tested both White Lightning Epic Ride and White Lightning Wet Ride, neither of which are wax lubes. Epic ride scored dead last, and Wet Ride scored pretty well. Rock n Roll gold lube (my personal favorite) was within a hair of parrafin wax at second place.
Old 02-26-13, 02:06 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
white lightning is aweful.

homebrew is the best lube i've used. 3 to 1 engine spirits to engine oil

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-26-13, 02:09 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hbrown
Came accross an article in which they compared several brands of chain lube. The comparison was pretty complete and Parrafin wax came out on top in every test. So always looking for any edge that I can get, I jumped headlong into getting everything that I would need to convert to Parrafin. I swore by Pro Lube for so many years I was disapointed to see it come in so low in the tests. I brought a wax warmer, a block of wax, and just for an even greater edge I brought a 2 ounce bottle of teflon resin. Last night I pulled the chains off of two of my bikes, thanks to KMC both chains use a missing link so disassembly was EZ. I cleaned them, then I cleaned them again. I set up the wax warmer broke off a few chunks and put them in it. Sat down watched tv and waited for the wax to melt, I looked at my calf saw the usual chain marks and tried to wipe them off. I then decided to clean my bikes, pulleys,and crank arms, when I finished the wax was all melted and clear. I added about 1 tblspn of teflon and stirred it in. I then placed both chains in the warmer and let them sit in it for about ten minutes. One thing that I did learn is that melted wax will splash much easier than water! So watch out for this!!! I removed the chains one by one , let them cool a little and pulled them through a rag , squeezing only the sides of the chain not the roller parts. I then installed them still warm , and spun my crank about two times and let it sit overnight. This morning I dressed, pumped up the tires looked at the chain, it had a slight haze on it, spun the crank and a small amount of wax flaked off, almost like wax dust. Spinning the crank by hand felt a little different to me, it was more smoother, more solid, just different. I then took my ride. WOW what a difference! I can't really put it to words but my crank felt more fluid, there was almost no noise from the chain , when I hit bumps, or pedaling! I did my usual morning 20, unclipped and was bringing the bike up the stairs, I lifted it up over my head and my white jersey hit the chain, I cursed loudly ,sat the bike down and looked at my jersey. THERE WERE NO CHAIN MARKS! I then looked at the chain, It looked exactly as it did when i left in the morning!!! I touched the chain and looked at my finger (NOTHING)!! No black on my fingers! I took the bike to my bike room an put it in the stand, grabbed a rag and started wiping it down, while still looking at the chain , I decided to wipe down the chain since it is gold. I always wipe it off after a ride. Last , because that is what you do. NO GREASE OR DIRT ON THE RAG!!!!! As if I wasn't sold already on Parrafin I looked at my Garmin and saw that I had dropped two minutes off of my normal time ! I think that the chain contributed to this! My speed at certain points on my corse was also up! I'm sold! It takes way longer to lube a chain with parrafin than just squirting something on a chain from a bottle and wiping it off. Believe me it is worth the extra inconvience! Parrafin!! Sometimes old technology Is better than new!
dude, did you get really high before writing this?
Old 02-26-13, 02:10 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
dude, did you get really high before writing this?
working with paraffin requires ventilation.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-26-13, 04:16 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
The time I start doing all that for a bike chain will coincide with the second coming. I'll bet they did not even try wd40. The bias continues. The prejudice complete.
Old 02-26-13, 04:56 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
You're making me wax nostalgic.
Old 02-26-13, 05:09 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Have been there and came back.
Old 02-26-13, 05:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Have been there and came back.
Same here. Tried it a few times and found that I ride way too much to be soaking chains in wax every few days.

Old 02-26-13, 07:23 AM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Depends, they tested both White Lightning Epic Ride and White Lightning Wet Ride, neither of which are wax lubes. Epic ride scored dead last, and Wet Ride scored pretty well. Rock n Roll gold lube (my personal favorite) was within a hair of parrafin wax at second place.
Based off what criteria though? Application lenght, friction, chain wear?

odd they didn't test clean ride. Despite the "white lightning sucks" comments, I dont recall the last squeaking chain i had while using it. My guess is some people are applying it before rides, not after. Applying it after gives it time to set up. Once it does, it seems to react just like paraffin wax (the test winner)

regardless, I may try chain-l or rock n roll gold for comparison. White lightning isn't the best lube for long, wet rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.