Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you ride a straight line?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 03:08 AM
GFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many people ride perfectly straight, without any side to side drifting?

I assume that cyclist riding in a pace line need to ride a straight line, with little or no drifting. So I've been working or focusing on my technique; spinning tight circles, balancing push-pull (or right vs left leg), staying centered, well balanced, keeping upper body quiet. And spending more time riding the single speed. I've also dialed in bike fit and believe it's pretty close, but that's only my opinion.

The problem is, I still feel I move to much and don't hold a line very well. Naturally, this has me wondering what is normal, how do other people ride. Guess I'm just trying to improve my efficiency on the bike without knowing what's realistic.
Old 03-08-13, 05:13 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I reckon I do but I have a problem. Occasionally the road is clear enough of other traffic to practice some technique. Lane markings at the side of the road or that straight bit of road repair and I try to follow that line. Lane markings are 4" wide and I can't stay on the line. Maybe the paint turning me off but try to ride 4" off the line and I still wander. Perhaps because I am concentrating too hard but pick a spot in the distance on a wet road and I do ride a straight line. Look behind at the tyre marks left in the rain and I can see how everyone else has done 20 miles to the 19 I have recorded.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-08-13, 05:43 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride very close to a straight line if I try. When riding solo on dry roads, one of my little games is to ride on the white "Fog Line" between the right lane and the shoulder of the road.

Otherwise I'm afraid I do wander a bit from side to side.
Old 03-08-13, 06:01 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can keep a pretty straight line. I can ride right down the fogline on the shoulder of a road without much trouble. Sometimes the painted line is smoother than the surface

edit: d'oh, cranky beat me to it
Old 03-08-13, 06:02 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Everyone does. It's part of how we keep our balance on the bike. Even pros. The difference between them and us is how far they meander from the perfect line.

If you were to make a bike that didn't steer and would maintain a perfectly straight line by itself, you wouldn't be able to keep your balance on it. Nor would a pro, although they may go a longer distance.
Old 03-08-13, 06:10 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm starting to concentrate on maintaining a straight line. I decided to make a concerted effort for two reasons. First, to be safer on the road and more predictable for vehicles, and second, I'm going to be doing two organized centuries, April 20 and May 11 respectively. With all the people riding at the same time for the Tour de Cure:Hampton Roads and the Capital 2 Capital, Richmond/Willamsburg, VA, it would be safer for me and other riders if I'm riding straight.
Old 03-08-13, 07:52 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I think there must be a correlation between mind drift and bicycle drift. When riding with a group, it takes on a whole set of dynamics, compared with just riding solo.
Old 03-08-13, 07:59 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
For the most part, yes! However, I do keep an eye on the road in front of me for objects that my cause a flat and I will swerve to avoid running over those objects. When on the MUP, I ride a straight line unless there is a strong head or cross wind or when I'm looking at the scenery around me. Then I look like I drank my beer before, instead of after, the ride.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-08-13, 07:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I ride a very straight line on my recumbent, even from a stop. I have read that in some rides or races they make recumbents start first or last because they wobble on start up. That seems rather dumb to me and somewhat annoying.
Old 03-08-13, 08:03 AM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, if it's a straight line you want to ride, get yourself a set of rollers. Kills two birds with one stone, you ride straight and smooth out your form pronto.
Old 03-08-13, 08:16 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Looking at my rear cam videos of my tire tracks on rainy days, I meander side to side ever so slightly, so no perfectly straight line riding being done on my part.
Old 03-08-13, 08:26 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by t4mv
OP, if it's a straight line you want to ride, get yourself a set of rollers. Kills two birds with one stone, you ride straight and smooth out your form pronto.
+1, riding rollers in the late 70's helped me tremendously in my bicycle riding skills. Hole the line and pedal smoothly or else.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-08-13, 08:49 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
I also ride on the fog line. The key to riding a straight line is not to focus on the front tire, but rather a point some 20-30' in front of the bike. That is your aiming point - besides which, it is easier to see flat-causing items and you'll still have time to swerve to miss it. Similarly, it you concentrate on that sharp item or other object, you're sure to hit it. I found that to be true also when riding in a draft line or pack.

Training on rollers for a smooth stroke helps. One thing I can't stand is riding behind someone who wags from side-to-side a foot or more.

BTW, landing a plane is much the same - pick a point on the runway as your aiming point and that's where you'll end up.
Old 03-08-13, 09:34 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
It's strange, but the more I TRY to ride in a straight line, the less I am actually able to do so, but I can ride like an arrow if I'm not thinking about it. The problem is, I can't help but try when I need it, such as when I'm riding close to the curb...
Old 03-08-13, 09:41 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I also ride on the fog line.
Me too. Smoother ride and less resistance. Plus, it gives me something to do.

Not if it's wet, though.

Old 03-08-13, 10:54 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
So true. But, although some do very well, no one rides an absolute "straight" line.
Old 03-08-13, 11:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
BTW, landing a plane is much the same - pick a point on the runway as your aiming point and that's where you'll end up.
This is also motorcycling truth. Go where you look. FWIW handling works much better if you look up the road and not right in front of your bike.
Old 03-08-13, 11:10 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yes I try to ride a straight line. I do so to be predictable for other cyclists and vehicles.It drives me crazy when a cyclist is all over a bike path or road. Its hard to pass without risk of a bump.A little kid is unpredictable and I accept that.An adult should know to stay to the right.But they get into their own little world.
Old 03-08-13, 11:18 AM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
+1000 Rollers are definitely the way to go if you want to improve your form! (Learn riding rollers, pedaling using only 1 leg, riding "no hands"); take a look at this, there are many others!)

- Wil
Old 03-08-13, 02:47 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I can't stand is riding behind someone who wags from side-to-side a foot or more.
Yes, I don't want to be "that" guy.

Since almost all my riding is solo, I have no idea what's considered normal. Or how advanced cyclist ride, assuming that these people ride with greater control and efficiency. Pedaling straight, with little or no wobbling seems like a worthy skill to master and something I can work on while pedaling through the countryside.

Rollers....watched a few videos and read a few warnings on using them. Thanks for the advice, but for now, I'll pass. I admit that rollers appear intimidating.

Are there other skills I should work on while riding?
Old 03-08-13, 02:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Dropping a wheel in the gap along side the trolley tracks certainly grabs the wheel into a straight Line.
Old 03-08-13, 05:45 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
When there's 1 to 2 inches of snow, and no ice underneath (which is a rare combination here), I like to ride my mountain bike. A very small lean with sideways pressure on the tires starts them slowly sliding out.

So I ride very balanced over the bike. It's interesting how I start to really notice the balancing effort. On a dry road, it's easy to just steer a little, instead of trying to stay balanced. Snow riding must be a little like riding on rollers.

Even so, the tire track does show the different tracks of the front and rear wheels, even riding on a straight line.

~~~~~
Like the other posters above, I also like to ride on the fog line, and it works best when not trying too hard, and when looking down the road.

Now I need to practice a steady effort for pulling a group. I tend to push a little too hard on slight rises in the road. It's really nice to be behind a competent rider holding a steady pace.

For group rides, at least try to see the riders in front of the rider directly in front of you. I don't like being behind riders that roll up too close to the rider in front, then slow down, opening a gap, and then do it all over again. Grrr.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-08-13 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 05:49 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
It's strange, but the more I TRY to ride in a straight line, the less I am actually able to do so, but I can ride like an arrow if I'm not thinking about it. The problem is, I can't help but try when I need it, such as when I'm riding close to the curb
Look further ahead. Impossible to ride straight if you are focussed on something immediately in front of you. And look at where you want to go, not at anything you want to avoid. You'll go where you're looking.
Old 03-08-13, 05:55 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on the fog line too, when it's dry. It's like riding on the wood 'skinnies' on the mountain bike. If you want to see crazy straight-line riding, you should see the mountain bikers on the north shore here. Go to youtube and search for "immonator fromme".

Cougrrcj is right. Focus ahead, not down.
Old 03-08-13, 06:20 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Most of the time!

The trick is to keep the upper body relaxed.

One can improve by riding rollers from time to time and definitely in winter when too much rain or snow ooutside!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.