Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cone adjustment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cone adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 06:13 PM
callig

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 9 Posts
Cone adjustment

I've read this somewhere and I'm wondering if its correct, When adjusting the cones for the hubs to leave a tiny bit of play in it so when you tighten the quick release it will illiminate the play. Is this correct?
Old 03-14-13, 06:37 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
yes. and its a just a hair. first few times, you'll probably find you want to redo it until its right
Old 03-14-13, 06:42 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's all you need to do it: Read the text, and follow the embedded link to the Park Tool site for further information.
Wil's way

HTH -
- Wil
Old 03-14-13, 08:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Keep in mind that hub bearings come in 2 general classes, the angular contact traditional cop/cone bearings which need to be adjusted for absolutely zero play, and radial contact typical of cartridge bearings, which should be left with a bit of axial play (radial play is not adjustable).

The goal is to end up with correct adjustment for either design after the QR is tightened, so you start just slightly (very slightly) looser to allow for some compression of the hollow axle.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-14-13, 10:31 PM
callig

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for the input I will try to remember this and Thanks for the link Wil Davis
Old 03-15-13, 11:42 AM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is because the hollow axles bow a little under compression. I seem to remember reading a Sheldon page on which he showed a tool he had made using an old QR. It had some low profile spacers - so you could clamp it and load up the axle - but still get to the cones to adjust them.
Old 03-15-13, 11:44 AM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2/3 way down this page, heading [h=2]Special tool for rapid cone adjustment under load[/h]
: https://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html
Old 03-15-13, 03:04 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Keep in mind that hub bearings come in 2 general classes, the angular contact traditional cop/cone bearings which need to be adjusted for absolutely zero play, and radial contact typical of cartridge bearings, which should be left with a bit of axial play (radial play is not adjustable).

The goal is to end up with correct adjustment for either design after the QR is tightened, so you start just slightly (very slightly) looser to allow for some compression of the hollow axle.
Cup and cone bearings require a small amount of play when off the bike that goes away when the QR is closed. The bearings should be adjusted so that is a small amount of preload on them when the QR is clamped.
Nutted axles should have the preload before they are installed because the axle is not compressed.
Old 01-05-17, 01:35 PM
Yoyo2012

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also learned this in many guiding articles. But I am confused when I check on new or nos hubs and wheels at LBS. They are factory-adjusted without any tiny play when off the frame.
Old 01-05-17, 01:52 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Not sure if you meant to reply to 4 years old post
Old 01-05-17, 04:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoyo2012
I have also learned this in many guiding articles. But I am confused when I check on new or nos hubs and wheels at LBS. They are factory-adjusted without any tiny play when off the frame.
Look inside and you'll probably see very little grease too.
That's just the way they are from the factory. (not always, but typically)
Old 01-05-17, 04:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've always just adjusted the cones to how I want them before installing.

However, perhaps you could add a couple of thick washers (5mm axle spacers?) to the ends of the axle, and clamp down the skewers, just to see if everything is perfect.

Bolt on axles don't significantly compress the axle.
Old 01-05-17, 04:46 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I adjust my C-record cones on the bike, tighten off the bike, and re-check on the bike.
Old 01-05-17, 07:20 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
I adjust my C-record cones on the bike, tighten off the bike, and re-check on the bike.
Yes, some Campy hubs had split adjustable cones that allowed you to do the final adjustment with the wheel fully clamped in the dropouts and tighten the cone until the play at the rim just disappeared. Then you locked the cone in place with a set screw that pinched the sides of the cone together. A great system and too bad it wasn't more common.
Old 01-05-17, 07:21 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I can make them free-spin just as long as the very best sealed-bearing hubs. Don't know that it really gains anything, but it feels good.
Old 01-05-17, 09:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Yes, some Campy hubs had split adjustable cones that allowed you to do the final adjustment with the wheel fully clamped in the dropouts and tighten the cone until the play at the rim just disappeared. Then you locked the cone in place with a set screw that pinched the sides of the cone together. A great system and too bad it wasn't more common.

I believe it is the carrier of the cone or bearing that is split, otherwise the balls would be riding over the split and erode the ball track there. Chris King has a similar system, Mavic's just uses a friction fir between the carrier and the axle.

But the goal of a free as possible bearing with no (angular contact) or minimal (radial contact) slop is a real benefit to bearing life. Regardless of whether a rider will feel it as they ride. Andy
Old 01-05-17, 09:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I believe it is the carrier of the cone or bearing that is split, otherwise the balls would be riding over the split and erode the ball track there. .....
The system was borrowed from the original design of threadless headsets. It uses a split centering cone to locate and adjust the bearing's inner race.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-06-17, 09:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The system was borrowed from the original design of threadless headsets. It uses a split centering cone to locate and adjust the bearing's inner race.
Right. It isn't the actual "cone" that's split but what amounts to a an adjustable compression ring that pushes on the insert that is the true cone. Nevertheless, it's a great design.
Old 01-06-17, 06:05 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
Not sure if you meant to reply to 4 years old post
Zombie thread walks the Forum.
Old 01-06-17, 06:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic

I'm good with zombie threads. It means that some are using the archives at least. Andy
Old 01-06-17, 06:44 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Ronsonic
Yeah but this one had only been dormant for less than 4 years. That's practically brand new compared to some that have been resurrected here.
Old 01-07-17, 07:10 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoyo2012
I never worry about leaving play. I believe the issue is over-rated. Your observation about factory settings suggests as much.
Old 01-07-17, 09:08 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I never worry about leaving play. I believe the issue is over-rated. Your observation about factory settings suggests as much.
Well, us fussy types consider those hubs as too tight as assembled and usually check both for adequate lube and readjust the bearings before putting them into service.
Old 01-07-17, 09:20 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Believe what you choose, but the factory "adjustment" is often extremely tight, rather than just not having play. I have seen hubs/cones damaged because they were never adjusted when first assembled.
Old 01-07-17, 12:38 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Believe what you choose, but the factory "adjustment" is often extremely tight, rather than just not having play. I have seen hubs/cones damaged because they were never adjusted when first assembled.
In my experience, Shimano tends to tighten a bit too much and it, as well as many other producers, tend to grease a bit too little.

Hub overhaul, the OCD way:

Bicycle hub overhaul - Cycle Gremlin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.