Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cagers Claim that City Parking Policy Makes them Drive Drunk

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cagers Claim that City Parking Policy Makes them Drive Drunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-05, 09:03 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Parking Enforcement Said to Cause Drunk Driving

OK, this is in DAVIS CALIFORNIA! You know, that city that is so renound for its use of bikes for transportation. Apparently, the current crop of UCD students thinks they are so special that walking from a FREE parking lot or garage to a bar to get drunk is just too inconvenient.

In downtown Davis a four square block area contains 2 huge garages and no less than four decently sized lots where one can park FREE and ALL NIGHT. There is also public transportation that is FREE for students and a "tipsy taxi" they can call for a free ride home. But using any of these options, I guess, prevents one from pulling up to the club and hopping out of your BMW like you're some sort of VIP.

And if a cager is so irresponsible as to drive to a bar to get drunk without thinking about how they are getting home, then a $50 or $60 parking ticket is a very small price to pay for being stupid.

I wrote a letter to the editor of Cal Aggie on this.

Last edited by MrCjolsen; 11-24-05 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-24-05, 12:13 PM
dan828

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, pretty lame. Though the "tipsy taxi" service is pretty unreliable, and the few times I've had friends try to use it, they couldn't get a hold of anyone. And taxis are non-existent. Just like any place else, planning ahead would prevent any problems. And since the Davis PD is so gung-ho on enforcement, you'd think people would be extra-careful. But the Davis PD will also nail you for BUI (there is a thread about this on this forum as a matter of fact).

I live close to downtown so I've never had that problem, and friends usually park at my place if they are going to be drinking, and then crash on my couch if they are too drunk to drive.
Old 01-08-06, 02:38 AM
mpearson76

Bikes: Klein q-pro carbon, Record, Ksyrium SSC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once I left my car parked in downtown Davis after drinking more than I had planned. I got two tickets by the time I went back to pick it up (I didn't know that they enforced 2-hour parking on sat.), but I write a short letter explaining why I left the car there and they kindly dropped one of the tickets. The ticket I had to pay was a small price for being safe, and the DPD wasn't too draconian about it.