Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Aggressive driver caught on tape

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Aggressive driver caught on tape

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 06:11 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"bad driver, here's some 8x10 glossies we want you to study, go sit on that bench for 10 minutes"..
But what about 8X10 glossies with a paragraph on the back, and what if the bench is "Group W"? </Alice's Restaurant>
Old 12-18-05, 06:13 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK...what kind of camera is it? Do you have a link to the manufacturer's web site?

Also, IMHO, the cops just giving this jerk-off a warning is not gonna register with him. From the photos, it look like he has a passing zone for cryin out loud! And still he buzzed you...

Take him to the mat!
Old 12-18-05, 06:15 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From the photos, it look like he has a passing zone for cryin out loud!
Ohh that ain't the half of it... I WISH I had footage of what was going on behind me while he was raging on me.
Old 12-18-05, 06:17 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
OK...what kind of camera is it? Do you have a link to the manufacturer's web site?
Oregon Scientific
Old 12-18-05, 06:22 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zip22
or a video cd would be good as well. plays in most dvd players and only reqires a normal cd burner to make. the software that came with the drive often has the option.
Yeah, but he could be losing a TON of resolution that way. That cam can do either 320x240 or 640x480. VideoCD is only 320x240, and it's lossy to boot.

If it were a piece of video I wanted to keep, I'd convert it to a high bit rate DVD-MPEG and author it to a DVD. I'd also keep the original, since if you needed it for actual evidence, you'll want the original, AND an individual frame of that is going to be clearer than anything made from it, since all normal video codecs are lossy.

It's certainly worth making a DVD from this. The discs are only 30 cents, and the burners are only $40.
Old 12-18-05, 06:23 PM
RacerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what a cool system you have there! That is a very cool use of technology, maybe your rear camera can go under the seat or something?

That is a Chrysler minivan and not a SUV though it doesn't matter. I think you should press charges so it goes on his record.
Next time he will probably hit to kill a cyclist instead of leaving a potential living witness. You never know with rage-junkies.

Besides, having solid evidence like that is so rare that you simply must do it for all the cyclists that were in the same spot or worse and didnt walk away or barely did.
Old 12-18-05, 06:25 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
Windows Media player can play .AVI format.
Not necessarily. AVI is only a wrapper. Inside you can use any of hundreds of different audio and video encodings. Even if you use a codec that's popular now, that's no guarantee you'll be able to play it in 10 years. I have video clips from 10 years ago that I wouldn't be able to play except that I put copies of the codecs on the disc as well. And even at that, they're such old codecs that they won't run on Win2K, only on 9x (or 3.1)

Best bet is to keep the original, and make a DVD. You'll probably still be able to play DVDs for a long time.
Old 12-18-05, 06:32 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
Here's the thread about it, with lots of sample images and a few quick reviews:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...2&page=1&pp=25
I'm ordering mine this week.
Old 12-19-05, 01:09 AM
spandexwarrior

Bikes: Felt F80, Cannondale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Ohh that ain't the half of it... I WISH I had footage of what was going on behind me while he was raging on me.
I hate to advise you to spend more money, but get another ATC 1000 camera and mount that facing backwards. Or mount your current one to the SIDE of your helmet, so when you turn to look behind you, the camera has a better angle for rear footage. In one of the Lucas Brunelle videos I've seen he looks behind and gets a good shot, even thought the image as at an angle. His camera was mounted on the side of his helmet.
Old 12-19-05, 09:05 AM
ajay677

Location: For the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an idiot.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to see the cops took it seriously Bikepacker. Last week I had a guy buzz me close enough that I banged my arm on their car, trying to maintain my balance. Conditions where similar to yours; I was riding in the right hand wheel track. This a$$hat at first tried to flee, then stopped up the road to inspect his car. He then ran 100 feet up the street to try to grab me and knock me off my bike.

The police response: A lecture. "It's snowing out. Why are you riding a bike? You shouldn't be riding in the street. You could slip and fall under a car. Imagine how horrible the car driver would feel".

What a bunch of clowns!

Last edited by ajay677; 12-19-05 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-19-05, 11:16 AM
budster
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajay677
Glad to see the cops took it seriously Bikepacker. Last week I had a guy buzz me close enough that I banged my arm on their car, trying to maintain my balance. Conditions where similar to yours; I was riding in the right hand wheel track. This a$$hat at first tried to flee, then stopped up the road to inspect his car. He then ran 100 feet up the street to try to grab me and knock me off my bike.

The police response: A lecture. "It's snowing out. Why are you riding a bike? You shouldn't be riding in the street. You could slip and fall under a car. Imagine how horrible the car driver would feel".

What a bunch of clowns!
I'll provide an alternate, happier ending:

The police response: A [citation and then a] lecture [for the motorist]. "It's snowing out. Why are you [driving a car]? You shouldn't be [driving]. You could slip and [hit a pedestrian or a cyclist]. Imagine how horrible the [pedestrian or cyclist's family] would feel".

What a bunch of [wonderful, sensible people the police are]!
Ahhhhh. Much better, no?
Old 12-19-05, 12:21 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I don't know why the police are so unresponsive at the non-emergency number. I called to report some idiot racing through our neighborhood streets in the pouring rain at about 70mph. I tried to get a license number but he didn't have one. He lived in the neighborhood as I saw him more than once and he turned into a dead end street not far down the road.

When I called to report him I was told that a) They couldn't do anything.

My response? "What about taking a look for a car with no plates. That's illegal right?"

b) "I'm sure he just bought the car and hasn't gotten a plate yet."

"Yes, because we can assume he's a law abiding citizen by the careful way he drives."

After insisting they send an officer over so I could make a report, no cop ever showed up.

Az
Old 12-19-05, 12:51 PM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
call the emergency number.

operator: is this an emergency ?

you: yes.

operator: what is the nature of the emergency?

you: some lunatic is racing up and down the street, there are kids out here playing and he almost hit one of them !

operator: we are sending a patrol unit there immediately.

you: thanks !
Old 12-19-05, 02:20 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
I don't know why the police are so unresponsive at the non-emergency number. I called to report some idiot racing through our neighborhood streets in the pouring rain at about 70mph. I tried to get a license number but he didn't have one. He lived in the neighborhood as I saw him more than once and he turned into a dead end street not far down the road.

When I called to report him I was told that a) They couldn't do anything.

My response? "What about taking a look for a car with no plates. That's illegal right?"

"Yes, because we can assume he's a law abiding citizen by the careful way he drives."

After insisting they send an officer over so I could make a report, no cop ever showed up.

Az

How To Call The Police

George Phillips of Meridian, Mississippi was going up to bed when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Does someone live in your shed?" and he said no. Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be along when available. George said, "Okay," hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again.

"Hello I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now, cause I've just shot them all." Then he hung up.

Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response unit, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence. Of course, the police caught the burglars red-handed. One of the Policemen said to George, "I thought you said that you'd shot them?" George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available?"

::ba dum boom ching::
Old 12-19-05, 02:26 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Nope, no brushoff... two cruisers showed up, and they were very accommodating and when I said I was "sorry" for dialing the 911 number instead of the regular number (I couldn't remember it) they were adamant than I had done the right thing.

Tomorrow will be the day of truth, when I go back down with the vid.
But like I said, I don't necessarily want to screw this guy to the wall, I just want him to know that I COULD screw him to the wall.

I'm going to burn two copies... one for the cops, and one I want the cops to give to him.
I would screw him to the wall. Most people like this are complete cowards, they will back down if you use force (the cops) against him. Otherwise, just like a schoolyard bully, if he gets away with it, he will just mess with you more, and the next time, possibly seriously.
Old 12-19-05, 02:29 PM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good one !!!!!!! haha
Old 12-19-05, 03:04 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
??? What state is this? In MI you need to go to the DMV and get a temp plate before you take a car onto the road, and before that you need to have current insurance coverage.
Old 12-19-05, 03:20 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
I would screw him to the wall. Most people like this are complete cowards, they will back down if you use force (the cops) against him. Otherwise, just like a schoolyard bully, if he gets away with it, he will just mess with you more, and the next time, possibly seriously.
This has been my experience as well.

Please press charges and show up to every one of his court dates. The first tactic his attorney will use is to get repeated continuances until you do not show up (no witness, no prosecution case).
Old 12-19-05, 03:42 PM
spunkyruss

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pressing charges is up to you, but I would suggest that you make something happen to the guy after he views your video and walks out of the police station.

You seem reluctant to make bad things happen for this guy, but maybe you could use this incident as leverage to make the guy do something good for cyclists. Ask the police offcers about having the guy talk to the local drivers' education class (or whatever else you can come up with). It is not unusual for officers to allow some sort of agreement like this, with the understanding that he will be prosecuted to the fullest extent if he fails to hold up his end of the bargain.

That's just my two cents. This is really up to you.
Old 12-19-05, 03:42 PM
dan828

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
??? What state is this? In MI you need to go to the DMV and get a temp plate before you take a car onto the road, and before that you need to have current insurance coverage.
Well, in California you just wait for the DMV to send you your regular plate in the mail. You can drive around with out a plate until then. A new car with just the little cardboard dealer advertisement in the plate holder doesn't get a second glance. The dealer won't let you leave the lot without insurance of some sort though.
Old 12-19-05, 04:47 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by dan828
Well, in California you just wait for the DMV to send you your regular plate in the mail. You can drive around with out a plate until then. A new car with just the little cardboard dealer advertisement in the plate holder doesn't get a second glance. The dealer won't let you leave the lot without insurance of some sort though.
Well the reality is there is a paper tag that goes into the window and acts like a license plate until the real one arrives. But not that anyone can or would ever see the numbers on that paper to cite them as a "license plate."
Old 12-19-05, 06:48 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are my hero. Its great that technology is getting so small now, that it benefits so many people now. So can this camera accom a 1 gig card? If so Maybe i'll look into getting one, this way I can save the risk of damaging my dv camera.
Old 12-19-05, 07:04 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EricDJ
You are my hero. Its great that technology is getting so small now, that it benefits so many people now. So can this camera accom a 1 gig card? If so Maybe i'll look into getting one, this way I can save the risk of damaging my dv camera.
Yup, that's what I'm using, a 1GB SD card.
It will give you about 1 hour of vid at the highest resolution. (640X480)
Old 12-19-05, 07:05 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EricDJ
Check out the Archos AV500 series of personal/portable DVRs. 100GB HD, size of an iPod, 15 hrs battery, acts as USB host (can accept USB accessories) as well as USB device (connects up like an external HD to your computer). They can be fitted with an optional minicam with inline remote control and mic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
full_av500_lrg.jpg (22.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: gif
cam_biking.gif (32.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-19-05, 09:07 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
Check out the Archos AV500 series of personal/portable DVRs. 100GB HD, size of an iPod, 15 hrs battery, acts as USB host (can accept USB accessories) as well as USB device (connects up like an external HD to your computer). They can be fitted with an optional minicam with inline remote control and mic.
Yowza. Nice, I'm sure, but at over $600 for the unit, plus probably over $100 if it's a nice bullet cam, probably more than most people are ready to spend. It'd be interesting to see if it could record video at the same time it was playing MP3s though.

The nice thing about the unit used here is that it's $80 (plus another $50 for the 1GB card if you don't already have one). At that price a lot of people could be running around with cameras; that could really make a "critical mass" - if it became generally known that a significant percentage of cyclists wore cameras a lot of the time, people might think twice about acting up. At $700, very few people are going to pony up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.