Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Water Bottles...What To Match?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: What do you match your water bottles to?
Match to the bike
33.67%
Match to the kit
6.12%
Nope!
42.86%
All the cool kids have Camelbaks
17.35%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Water Bottles...What To Match?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 04:27 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
For what it's worth, never scientifically tested 😉, I was advised to use white or translucent water bottles to help keep the water a little cooler in summer. Dark colors absorb sunlight and transforms it to heat. I recalled that from physics class, so seems reasonable.
Old 04-20-17, 04:28 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Correct cage/beverage coloration with transparent bottle:

Originally Posted by kbarch
it is quite proper that they not match each other, especially if one contains plain water and the other contains something else.
I guess I can see the logic in using a different appearance for the lead-filled bottle taken on at the top of a descent.

That said, if one MUST match something, the bottles should match ones kit before they match the bike. The bottles are carried by the bike and, like the rider, they do not stay on the bike when it is not in use; they are not part of it.
The bottles aren't a part of your kit any more than they are (or aren't) a part of your bike. And why can't they be treated as part of a bike?
Old 04-20-17, 05:00 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HTupolev

The bottles aren't a part of your kit any more than they are (or aren't) a part of your bike. And why can't they be treated as part of a bike?
You're quite right; one does not wear bottles. However, they are LIKE ones kit; they come on and off and are changed quite regularly.
And yes, they may be thought of as part if the bike in the same metaphorical way as we sometimes say the rider and the bike are one, but a) the bike is complete without bottles, and b) even if we often think of them as necessary for a ride, we don't bring water or whatever to the bike to fill them, and we don't leave them on the bike. In fact, they are useless as long as they are on the bike.
Old 04-20-17, 05:44 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I can't believe this discussion is even happening. I hope my wife doesn't see it.

No, cyclists aren't geeks. Honest.
Old 04-20-17, 06:40 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
OK, OK, sure, if someone wants to give you bottles that match your kit, or your bike, go ahead. However, it is my contention that bottles are the one accessory that should NOT match anything, and it is quite proper that they not match each other, especially if one contains plain water and the other contains something else. They should be the exception that proves the rule, an indication that it is not irrational.

That said, if one MUST match something, the bottles should match ones kit before they match the bike. The bottles are carried by the bike and, like the rider, they do not stay on the bike when it is not in use; they are not part of it.

You REALLY don't have a funny bone in your body, do you?
Old 04-20-17, 06:59 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
I still use the color coding for bottles that my cycling club standardized many years ago:

White or Clear = H2O
Red = Caffeinated
Yellow/Green/Other = Sports Potion

When getting a bottle hand-up or musette in a feed zone no question what's being received.

Never dump any colored bottle over your head to cool-off.

-Bandera
Old 04-20-17, 07:03 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think the only important aspect with bottles it that they need to have a quick connect elastic/rubber leash between the bottle and your hand. When you want to take a drink, you quickly attach. That way............................if you try the bidon flip the bottle will spring back up into your hand when you drop it.(like a YoYo) Maybe you could "Walk the Dog" then suck it back up into your hand to impress your riding posse!

In all seriousness, I think it should be clear bottles and the liquid color is whatever is in there at the time. I prefer Melon Powerade or Peach Mello Yello from one of those mixing machines. On longer rides, it is whatever you can get. I've been on organized rides where the color/flavor of the sports drink provided changed at every fill station. I guess a rider could carry a food coloring kit to change the color of their liquid. That would take their dork status to an all time high.

Last edited by seypat; 04-20-17 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 07:07 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I matched my cages to the frame color (white) and got a matching set of semitransparent bottles from the LBS. I will use one white bottle and my one Camelback insulated bottle on occasion, even though they do not match.
Old 04-20-17, 07:40 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On my old-school steel bike I use those stainless Kleen Kanteen bottles since weight is not an issue. The water tastes a whole lot better in one of those things than it does coming out of plastic, too.
Old 04-20-17, 07:53 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 139 Posts
Black bike with white graphics, white Camelbaks with black graphics.

Go freddly or go home.
Old 04-20-17, 08:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
I won't do road rides with people who have mismatched bottles.
Old 04-20-17, 08:12 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

That's the first thing I look for.
Old 04-20-17, 08:21 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
My bottles don't even match each other but I did just refinish my stem and order cages to match my seat post.
This ^^^

Four water bottles, three colors (they all have the same LBS logo):

IMG_20160611_055959309_HDR.jpg

I am color-conscious enough to match the two fork bottle racks in black and the two frame racks in yellow....

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-20-17 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 11:12 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think the only important aspect with bottles it that they need to have a quick connect elastic/rubber leash between the bottle and your hand. When you want to take a drink, you quickly attach. That way............................if you try the bidon flip the bottle will spring back up into your hand when you drop it.(like a YoYo) Maybe you could "Walk the Dog" then suck it back up into your hand to impress your riding posse!

In all seriousness, I think it should be clear bottles and the liquid color is whatever is in there at the time. I prefer Melon Powerade or Peach Mello Yello from one of those mixing machines. On longer rides, it is whatever you can get. I've been on organized rides where the color/flavor of the sports drink provided changed at every fill station. I guess a rider could carry a food coloring kit to change the color of their liquid. That would take their dork status to an all time high.
I know riders who won't use clear bottle in a race because they don't want others to know how much water they have left.
Old 04-20-17, 11:32 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scarbo
You REALLY don't have a funny bone in your body, do you?
I do - several, in fact. But this is serious business, and I insist we all get on the same page: the CORRECT page!
Old 04-20-17, 12:19 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I've decided to only buy white water bottles from now on. First, it means they'll always match any of my bikes; second, it's easier to clean them.

A big plus: decathlon had white ones for €1.79 . I don't understand paying huge money for plastic water bottles. If you don't like the taste, add a little lemon, orange or fruit juice to your tap water; and insulated water bottles? Talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...
Old 04-20-17, 12:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I've decided to only buy white water bottles from now on. First, it means they'll always match any of my bikes; second, it's easier to clean them.

A big plus: decathlon had white ones for €1.79 . I don't understand paying huge money for plastic water bottles. If you don't like the taste, add a little lemon, orange or fruit juice to your tap water; and insulated water bottles? Talk about a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...
Similar to much of the rest of northwestern Europe, Dublin experiences a maritime climate (Cfb) with cool summers, mild winters, and a lack of temperature extremes. The average maximum January temperature is 8.8 °C (48 °F), while the average maximum July temperature is 20.2 °C (68 °F). On average, the sunniest months are May and June, while the wettest month is October with 76 mm (3 in) of rain, and the driest month is February with 46 mm (2 in). Rainfall is evenly distributed throughout the year.
It's not a problem in Dublin.
Old 04-20-17, 12:58 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I suppose an OCD rider would match the bottles to the whole kit and kaboodle as well.
According to Wikipedia "caboodle" means Kaboodle is a spelling derivation of the English word "caboodle", meaning a group, bunch, lot, pack, or collection of things or people. So basicly a team and possibly a peloton.

Last edited by BobbyG; 04-20-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 12:58 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It's not a problem in Dublin.
Or anywhere else. Seriously, water too warm? Toss a few ice cubes in there... and stop for a cold beer somewhere along your route
Old 04-20-17, 03:20 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I can't believe this discussion is even happening. I hope my wife doesn't see it.

No, cyclists aren't geeks. Honest.
How many threads have been dedicated to carbon wheels? 99% of those buying them buy them for vanity. I don't see why any less thought should be given to other pieces of equipment

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What's worse at a group ride, mismatched bottles or just one?

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
This ^^^

Four water bottles, three colors (they all have the same LBS logo):

Attachment 560108

I am color-conscious enough to match the two fork bottle racks in black and the two frame racks in yellow....
This is a wonderful picture, mismatched bottles notwithstanding
Old 04-20-17, 04:08 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Wittyname
This is a wonderful picture, mismatched bottles notwithstanding
LOL and thanks!

A little off topic ... this pic was the start of one of my most challenging days on a bike. I got this pic about a mile from my house, a house I didn't see again until I was done with 140 hot-and-steamy miles. I rode out of my house to the start of the Westside Dirty Benjamin (gravel century). It was damned hard to find enough water on route, those four bottles were filled 3 times each, and I wish I had more.

At the finish line (on the banks of the Minnesota River), there was a less wonderful pic:
14088569_10154368773516878_9198440549620976549_n.jpg

I'm the pasty guy standing in the water.
Old 04-20-17, 04:14 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
LOL and thanks!

A little off topic ... this pic was the start of one of my most challenging days on a bike. I got this pic about a mile from my house, a house I didn't see again until I was done with 140 hot-and-steamy miles. I rode out of my house to the start of the Westside Dirty Benjamin (gravel century). It was damned hard to find enough water on route, those four bottles were filled 3 times each, and I wish I had more.

At the finish line (on the banks of the Minnesota River), there was a less wonderful pic:
Attachment 560169

I'm the pasty guy standing in the water.
Great story

But I think the important detail is that you tried to match the bottles to the bike, and not your kit (presuming that your jersey matched your bibs)
Old 04-20-17, 04:16 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LBS bottles only for me. Represent.
Old 04-20-17, 04:17 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13720 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have team bottles, which match the team kit.
This is the answer, especially if you're going to toss them to spectators on course.
Old 04-20-17, 04:18 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Wittyname
Great story

But I think the important detail is that you tried to match the bottles to the bike, and not your kit (presuming that your jersey matched your bibs)
ummm, well the bibs match the jersey, but that's 'bout where the matchy-matchy thing stops:

13419148_10153640684736444_975876020903503743_n.jpg
(the after pic)

Edit - I guess the pasty chest match the sun-sleeves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.