Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Dr. Science - anti-cycling advocate?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Dr. Science - anti-cycling advocate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 04:18 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Q: How come when you're riding a ten speed bicycle, when you're not pedaling the bike makes a clicking noise?
Submitted by Mike Walker from Deming, NM

A: Mike, let's get this straight from the starting gate. I don't ride bicycles. Ever since I realized how ergonomically efficient the bicycle is, I knew that I would be doing a disservice to our petrochemical and nuclear energy industries by participating in this form of mechanical subversion. If you could build a bicycle that somehow consumed gasoline or uranium, well, maybe I could be persuaded to hop on, but until that time I'll either ride in an automobile or stay put, thank you. To answer your question, that little clicking noise is a gauge put on your bike by the Communists who made it. It's counting off all the lost oil revenue, the money not going into American coffers because you chose to ride a Communist produced instrument of subversion. If that makes you feel a bit guilty as you ride, relax, it should.

https://www.drscience.com/cgi-bin/searchengine.pl (enter "bicycle" in the search box, make sure "Question" is selected for "search where?", and then click "Search!").
Old 01-27-06, 04:28 PM
BroMax
The Other White Meat

Bikes: Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Q: How come when you're riding a ten speed bicycle, when you're not pedaling the bike makes a clicking noise?
Submitted by Mike Walker from Deming, NM

A: Mike, let's get this straight from the starting gate. I don't ride bicycles. Ever since I realized how ergonomically efficient the bicycle is, I knew that I would be doing a disservice to our petrochemical and nuclear energy industries by participating in this form of mechanical subversion. If you could build a bicycle that somehow consumed gasoline or uranium, well, maybe I could be persuaded to hop on, but until that time I'll either ride in an automobile or stay put, thank you. To answer your question, that little clicking noise is a gauge put on your bike by the Communists who made it. It's counting off all the lost oil revenue, the money not going into American coffers because you chose to ride a Communist produced instrument of subversion. If that makes you feel a bit guilty as you ride, relax, it should.

https://www.drscience.com/cgi-bin/searchengine.pl (enter "bicycle" in the search box, make sure "Question" is selected for "search where?", and then click "Search!").

It's not so much that he's anti-cycling. He has expressed some controversial opinions in the past and I think he is trying to cover himself now by being strictly orthodox, so he cannot be accused of being a subversive. Or maybe he's heavily invested in oil stocks. Maybe both.

Maybe it's just a family values things. People who use bikes want *****exuals to marry each other and teach evolution in the public schools. Dr. Science makes more sense than Rush, if you ask me.
Old 01-27-06, 04:29 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, instead of Dr. Science that site should be called Dr. Satire.

Thanks for the humor link.
Old 01-27-06, 04:33 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Q. Why is it that some streets have potholes and some streets have chuckholes? Are they relatives?

Submitted by Mark Rickert from El Cerrito, CA

A. No. In fact, they're not even the same species. Potholes are reptiles, ones that live in the cracks that form in asphalt. They subsist on a diet of motor oil and grit. Chuckholes are rodents, relatives of hamsters, and they feed on rubber. Chuckholes are bold creatures, known to snap at the tires of a moving vehicle. When they succeed in tearing off a bit of tire, the end result is a flat tire, the kind not covered by warranty. So if you've got a set of 100,000 mile steel belted radials, stay away from streets with chuckholes in them.
Coming Next from Dr. Science:
Sun Size
Souls of Lawyers
Macroprocessor Research
Glaciers and Congress
A Cow Directional Study
Old 01-27-06, 04:35 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
No. He was serious. We must all immediately send angry e-mails and letters to him and anyone anti-cyclist enough to air or sponsor his program.
Old 01-27-06, 04:41 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The people who said satire are correct.

I have spoken.
Old 01-27-06, 04:56 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually briefly considered adding a statement to point out that it's satire, but quickly dismissed it as being unnecessary and patronizing, since the satire was so blatant. Or so I thought. Apparently, I was wrong.
Old 01-27-06, 04:59 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

A: Mike, let's get this straight from the starting gate. I don't ride bicycles. To answer your question, that little clicking noise is a gauge put on your bike by the Communists who made it.

Now if it were Ann Coulter or Michelle Malkin or the President making that statement, I might fear that they were earnest. But let's give Dr. Science a break here. While I realize that politics of late and network news have destroyed the credibility of satire, we must try to maintain objectivity and perspective.

What does Bill O'Reilly say about it?
Old 01-27-06, 05:15 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I actually briefly considered adding a statement to point out that it's satire, but quickly dismissed it as being unnecessary and patronizing, since the satire was so blatant. Or so I thought. Apparently, I was wrong.
Originally Posted by recursive
The people who said satire are correct.

I have spoken.
You've both been snookered. That's his game. He speaks to his audience of anti-cycling bigots knowing that cyclists will be duped into thinking it's all a joke. Dr. Science is clever.
Old 01-27-06, 05:21 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
He has a masters degree... in science!
Old 01-27-06, 05:28 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I have a Master's degree in fishing. That makes me a...

Master baiter!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-28-06, 12:30 PM
scarry
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Satire over your head?
Old 01-28-06, 02:21 PM
o-dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like satire to me

but regardless of whether it's serious or not, there are a lot of people out there who will take it seriously
Old 01-28-06, 03:00 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe satire about satire is over some people's heads. Personally, I start to get confused with satire about a parody of satire.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 01-28-06 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 05:07 PM
scarry
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
Maybe satire about satire is over some people's heads. Personally, I start to get confused with satire about a parody of satire.
Isn't there a Monty Python skit about that?
Old 01-28-06, 05:27 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by scarry
Isn't there a Monty Python skit about that?
There is certainly a great Monty Python skit about Bicycle Repairman. (B.R. is also my wife's codename/nickname for me whenever a car, bike, appliance, or any part of the house needs repair -- "This looks like a job for Bicycle Repairman.").
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-28-06, 05:28 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by o-dog
looks like satire to me

but regardless of whether it's serious or not, there are a lot of people out there who will take it seriously
If anyone takes this OBVIOUS satire seriously, the state of American intellect is in further decline than I had feared.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-28-06, 05:30 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How come some 10-speed bikes click really loudly while others barely make any sound at all? Are the quiet ones free of commie bug devices? Or maybe they're the ones running on gasoline? Wow, you learn a lot on BF.
Old 01-28-06, 05:48 PM
BroMax
The Other White Meat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't count on any device that does not consume oil, when an oil-burning alternative is obtainable, to be free of bugs. Remember what Dr. Science says! And if the clicking should happen to stop, it's probably because they can scan your brainwaves and no longer need to count each click. Anyone who ventures out without his/her Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie is taking an unnecessary risk. I'm sure Dr. Science would concur. He probably already has!
Old 01-28-06, 06:19 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Dr Science apparently has a short memory.
I have the video from the 80's where Dr Science rides his "over 400 gear" bicycle to over the speed of light, to prove that your headlight will chase you down the road.
Old 01-28-06, 09:20 PM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread should be in the jokes & humor room. Can/will the mods./admins please move it to the appropriate area of the forums?
Old 01-28-06, 09:35 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BroMax
I wouldn't count on any device that does not consume oil, when an oil-burning alternative is obtainable, to be free of bugs. Remember what Dr. Science says! And if the clicking should happen to stop, it's probably because they can scan your brainwaves and no longer need to count each click. Anyone who ventures out without his/her Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie is taking an unnecessary risk. I'm sure Dr. Science would concur. He probably already has!
Hmmmm... Will the Aluminum Foil Deflector take the place of our helmets? And if the answer is yes, will we need to start a thread on Advocacy and Safety debating how much protection the Aluminum Foil Deflector provides that will include at least 400 posts complete with curses , threats and input from scores of statisticians who know nothing about what they are saying?
Old 01-28-06, 11:35 PM
BroMax
The Other White Meat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roccobike
Hmmmm... Will the Aluminum Foil Deflector take the place of our helmets? And if the answer is yes, will we need to start a thread on Advocacy and Safety debating how much protection the Aluminum Foil Deflector provides that will include at least 400 posts complete with curses , threats and input from scores of statisticians who know nothing about what they are saying?
I wouldn't venture a guess...but one can always hope.
Old 01-29-06, 03:12 PM
dan828

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
If anyone takes this OBVIOUS satire seriously, the state of American intellect is in further decline than I had feared.
It is impossible to use satire on the internets without at least one person taking it seriously.
Old 01-29-06, 04:14 PM
lxpatterson

Bikes: Bianchi SL2 centuar custom, 85 Trek 720

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by N_C
This thread should be in the jokes & humor room. Can/will the mods./admins please move it to the appropriate area of the forums?
man we got some serious folk on this forum. i guess no one likes post ironic irony.

From the Simpsons:

lisa "are you trying to be ironic?"
cool lullabalooza kid "i dont know anymore"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.